PDA

View Full Version : Tyrisia - Zyzolian Dusk

Tyrisia
12-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Here's one I'm working on at the mo, a detroit-y melodic number.

I'm trying to improve my eqing especially at the mo so let me know how I can get all the parts nicely seperated as I still think there's room for improvement.

All criticism greatfully recieved..

Zyzolian Dusk (http://www.tyrisia.co.uk/zyzoliandusk.mp3)

MARK ANXIOUS
12-07-2007, 04:57 PM
the ideas are excellent.

is this a low quality mp3 as i really cant hear the finished sparkle that this track needs.

the kick seems ultra low, roll off a little sub to give it more punch :)

Tyrisia
12-07-2007, 05:09 PM
yep, the kik needs work defo, it needs more top-end but I'm having a bit of trouble with it tbh coz I know the sound I want but just can't get the top-end of the kik to sound right.

I'm really glad you like the essence of the track Mark, I reckon this one is defo worth taking the time over.

I don't think it's the mp3 quality that's the problem, maybe more the lack of verb as I backed it off a little and the sub clouding the mix.

BloodStar
12-07-2007, 05:40 PM
nicely deep and lushy track. i like the atmo you've got there, very moody.also nicely structured with smooth progress.
as for the production part of thing, it sounds nice, but kick could have more punch. I would try to mono and back off the sub a bit and add some hp kick on top.
good work.

Siege
12-07-2007, 06:41 PM
As said...back off on the sub a little and try fit some nose on the kick.
Nice tune though mate...lovely feel and vibe to it.
post up again after uve had a mess...like to hear.

Tyrisia
15-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Cheers guys, I've been workin on this all weekend, and although it's taken me a while I've got a kik that I finally like, now I'm gonna work on gettin them synths all big and spacy. I'll post up probably later on tonight or tomorrow with the fruits of my labour.

loopdon
16-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Great track, mate. So glad we are getting what seems like more and more "melodic" tracks in this section. Lush. Lovely progression.

loopdon
16-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Sure Summer Hit to me. Very catchy. Really really enjoyed this, the arrangement just flows with plenty of little details, production sounds very good to me as well.

The Overfiend
16-07-2007, 10:05 PM
Going to give this a listen when I am not on me work buds.

Tyrisia
17-07-2007, 04:04 AM
Cheers Loopdon, glad you like it, yeah it has got a summery feel to it I suppose, must be something to do with all the rain we seem to be gettin here at the mo:)

just put up a new version, tried a few things out to get some more lushness into the track, I've compressed the mixdown a bit but didn't want to over-crush it so you'll all just have to turn it up a bit louder.

other things are I've added more variation to the main melody and re-done the kick, and I've posted the full ten mins of it so you all can tell me if it drags on or not.

I may have actually cut the bass too much now, cause a) I've just bounced it down on headphones and b) I don't know my monitors too well yet, let me know if it's lacking sub.

Update (http://www.tyrisia.co.uk/zyzoliandusk.mp3)

rhythmtech
17-07-2007, 10:31 AM
this sounds great. bass sounds nice and rounded this end., i would maybe add a little more ambience to the lead synth and possibly change the pad a little as everything seems to follow the same note progression a little too much

other than that its a good job.

Tyrisia
17-07-2007, 01:23 PM
cheers mate, I will have a play round with the main synth verb, can you be a bit more specific as to which pad needs work (there's three or four different pads/strings in the track), is it the main one that loops over four bars instead of eight that comes in on the first break?

BloodStar
17-07-2007, 05:40 PM
liking it a lot mate. sounds like a classic.
i would try to touch the levels and balance them bit better,. check the kick vs hats. and also that snareclap on downbeat is bit loud and owerpowers the rest.. maybe clever touch on reverb on the synth sounds will also help to glue it even more together,.. good stuff!

Tyrisia
17-07-2007, 06:58 PM
haha yeah that clap is being a bit of a pain, I've tried eqing it to get it sitting better, but if I drop it 1 db lower than it is it hides itself behind the kick, and looses all prescence. I've just had a fiddle with it and taken some of the high end offa it which has helped. I've also brought bass and kick up by a db to get a better balance between low and high, but I'm fighting a computer with no headroom left and my powercore keeps crashing when I try to freeze tracks resulting in a blue screen, not good:(

I've just tried some mastering verb over the whole mix, eq'd to get rid of lows and highs, and it does pull everything together.

Cheers for the advice dude, really appreciate it.

stjohn
18-07-2007, 02:34 PM
shit about your pwercore dude!! what card do u have?im intruiged by them...

tune is great..nice deep feel to it! there is something with the kick tho... maybe i just want it to be a bit bigger... the bassline is great...but if the kick could just sit a little bit more tighter on it..the tune would be boxed!!

the rest of the elements are great. well done

Tyrisia
24-07-2007, 10:17 AM
shit about your pwercore dude!! what card do u have?im intruiged by them...

It's the firewire compact powercore, only half the memory space of the bigger powercores, but I've gotta say I rarely max it out. It comes wholeheartedly recommended by me, the verbs are great and there are some pretty good compressers/delay/mastering plugins with it too. Best thing is I can run two or three verbs without maxing the cpu on the comp out, allowing me to do much more.

tune is great..nice deep feel to it! there is something with the kick tho... maybe i just want it to be a bit bigger... the bassline is great...but if the kick could just sit a little bit more tighter on it..the tune would be boxed!!

I've been working on the kick, haven't got time to repost just now but will soon. Thanks for the input, glad you like the tune man.

278d7e64a374de26f==