PDA

View Full Version : how to improve this section...

MARK ANXIOUS
13-07-2007, 12:26 AM
ok so here i was today checking out this forum. as usual, what incredible talent we have here.

now i would LOVE to have a thing where i could click ' i loved this track, and that track' this week and someone could see the results. ie you get someone here that you really respect the opinion of and you can check their fave filez.

hmmm one idea anyway. would also love to see it easier for producers to u/l their tracks. perhaps i have to work on this.

also maybe a section where we could all have a go at remixing other ppl's tracks we like. mastering or remixing. hmmm..

i would also like to make this section more into something that the ppl who really are serious about making tunes can see. ie make it a little less public ie more of a producer thing.. perhaps you have to post before you can see the posts??? i dunno...

ok more thoughts you guys!!!

rhythmtech
13-07-2007, 12:38 AM
i think another mod. someone who'd be here a lot more.. no disrespect to dan but a lot of tracks get posted and one person cant be expected to do all the work. also the site needs to lead by example.. as you saw today mark.. a little enthusiasm from you got a few others posting and commenting.. myself included.

i'd personally be willing to mod this section for the site.. modding isnt something i'd be interested in for any other part but this forum area is special to me as its brought me along from near beginnings and id like to give back something..

just an idea.

judas_beast
13-07-2007, 12:40 AM
Ok, what about a BOA ftp server? Just for BOA members? Also, like you say, if people can't be arsed to comment, what about a rating system? Have you ever been on Infexious.net? Maybe you could make like a ''projects'' forum, where we can all upload part finished tracks and what not, and where people can collaberate? Anyway, answer my pm! Or don't, I guess its up to you?!

MARK ANXIOUS
13-07-2007, 01:21 AM
i am shit at pm's mate hehehe info@blackoutaudio.co.uk :)

ok gonna address all the comments here once everything's posted..

we need a new mod for sure...

chrissi and i are talking here. ok we need a purpose to the whole thing. something that makes it worth while us all getting excited about each others music.

perhaps we could make a new boa label.. a digital thing. ok when we find a great track here we put it out on boa digital. 'boa audio out'. we put it up on the site shop and all the digital shops. the producer gets 75% of the money made. it's an idea eh...

The Overfiend
13-07-2007, 01:50 AM
rhythm tech would be a great mod around here, especially that he is vocal, fair and knows what he is talking about.

eyeswithoutaface
13-07-2007, 08:44 AM
i am shit at pm's mate hehehe info@blackoutaudio.co.uk :)

ok gonna address all the comments here once everything's posted..

we need a new mod for sure...

chrissi and i are talking here. ok we need a purpose to the whole thing. something that makes it worth while us all getting excited about each others music.

perhaps we could make a new boa label.. a digital thing. ok when we find a great track here we put it out on boa digital. 'boa audio out'. we put it up on the site shop and all the digital shops. the producer gets 75% of the money made. it's an idea eh...

well mate, to be fair, we've all been getting excited over each others music in this section for years now, and your very,very rarely on here. You just happen to have come on at a time when its slacked off a bit or gone a little one directional and assumed a little that its like this all the time i think. It used to be amazing in this section, but over the past year or so its just the same things getting said without much actual constructive, technical feedback.

There has however been some great, great tracks being posted. Their are a couple of people here who have developed more in literaly a year than some others have in literaly 5 years, which i find amazing.

I really dont think anything needs changing here, certainly not a polling idea, that doesnt really give the producer any feedback or information that they wont be harnessing from peoples personal comments anyway, and if anything it would just induce laziness with more and more people opting to just give it a quick vote instead of a detailed crit, in my opinion. I think this place is fine as it is, because, and everyone can argue the toss here, there are still definately some people on here who dont know how to take constructive criticism the right way, and for that reason it doesnt get posted (not much anyway) and i dont see what changes could be implemented that would have any difference really, plus the majority of people speak on msn about this stuff alot more than on here, i find anyway

rhythmtech
13-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Scott, everything you've just said is EXACTLY why it needs to change..

if people see critcism being given out on a regular basis then they'll realise they need to grow a tough skin..

we need to get people thinking "what can i do to make this better" rather than "what you think of my finished track"

msn is good but it doesnt help anyone besides the 2 involved in the conversation.

like i said in my previous post, i learned a lot from BOA, from posting my own tracks and reading advice given to others, and it really helped my production.. thats how this area should be again.

Alphajuno
13-07-2007, 11:04 AM
A ratings chart system could be very cool... also a mastering/remix exchange.

BloodStar
13-07-2007, 11:19 AM
rating chart system is the worst idea, imo.

i know i am not too constructive, but i dont have any other idea, than let this section live its own life...
I didnot post many comments lately, but i will do over weekend...

Tyrisia
13-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Mark, I think the most constructive thing I could suggest has already been done, with regards to saying to people who's tracks are of a good enough quality to release "right, that's good, I'll play it on the radio show".

That sort of exposure is exactly what all the guys here working so hard need, and would be a great incentive to us all. Maybe a regular BOA newcomers spot where the top three tracks of the month get played, maybe more, I don't know how much time you could allocate on the show? A bit of competition can really bring the best out in people, maybe this could lead onto BOA digital releases?

dirty_bass
13-07-2007, 01:09 PM
To be honest, over the years, we`ve been through all of this.
We don`t need any more mods, because this section doesn`t need modding really.
And when the mods took a more active role, it made very little difference anyway. We`ve had just about everything go on in here over the years.
Group remixes, stickies of various types to encourage interaction, it`s all been here, and slowly died a death.
Ratings, yeuch, horrible, just turns it into a horrible top of the pops chart system, prone to abuse as well.
All this place needs is more activity, and more communication, and the problem there is that most of the people with good production knowledge to assist with critique have pretty much left the site or don`t have time, so there`s a lot of newer less experienced people here posting.
It`s these people who need to get together and help each other and communicate more with each other, just like we were all doing, about 4-5 years ago.
I think some of the problem is that the point of view of the whole techno section has become more narrow minded, as talk generally centres around the same sub genre of techno mostly, and this is reflected now in the reduction in diversity within this sub section.
The abandonment of the forum by a lot of people who used to post in the dark forum was the beginning of this.

I would say some kind of hosting area would be handy, to stop people having to use fileshare sites.
I have little time to contribute to this section now, and when I do go through, if the files aren`t hosted somewhere I can stream the audio from file, rather than go through the laborious process of dealing with horrors like sendspace, then I just don`t bother.

rhythmtech
13-07-2007, 01:21 PM
firstly we do need a dedicated mod..
whats going to get people posting other than other people posting?

the style of music has nothing to do with it either.. so what if there seems to be one or two perticular styles getting posted.. perhaps this is due to popularity?

theres plenty of people on here with enough production knowledge to help out.. the ones that dont post anymore just dont poast. so what? if the truth be told NONE of us are 100% at production.. we can all read articles on the web about how this or that is the correct method but at the end of the day we're all on a learning curve. this applies to the top rpoducers in the world as well as the absolute beginner.

dirty_bass
13-07-2007, 02:36 PM
firstly we do need a dedicated mod..
whats going to get people posting other than other people posting?

the style of music has nothing to do with it either.. so what if there seems to be one or two perticular styles getting posted.. perhaps this is due to popularity?

theres plenty of people on here with enough production knowledge to help out.. the ones that dont post anymore just dont poast. so what? if the truth be told NONE of us are 100% at production.. we can all read articles on the web about how this or that is the correct method but at the end of the day we're all on a learning curve. this applies to the top rpoducers in the world as well as the absolute beginner.

We have 2 mods, both of which were very dedicated, and it made no odds, why add another?
3 mods to do what?

rhythmtech
13-07-2007, 02:41 PM
We have 2 mods, both of which were very dedicated, and it made no odds, why add another?
3 mods to do what?

well x-five doesnt really post here much anymore. and that leaves it all down to 1.. cant see how you can say that we dont need one.. even mark is in agreement there.

dirty_bass
13-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Yeah but mark hardly is very active in this place.
I know you really really wanna be a mod, but what exactly are you wanting to do here that would require a Mod exactly?
There`s far too many mods on BOA anyway, it`s totally unecessary.

rhythmtech
13-07-2007, 03:13 PM
I know you really really wanna be a mod, here .

you're great at assuming things arent you steve?

what we need in here is someone to try to conteract the negativity coming from certain directions, your direction being one of them ie
"I think some of the problem is that the point of view of the whole techno section has become more narrow minded, as talk generally centres around the same sub genre of techno mostly, and this is reflected now in the reduction in diversity within this sub section"

so i offered to do it for mark.. i really couldnt care less who he picks as its just a drain on my time if he wanted me to do it. but i figured the site had given me so much i might aswell offer to give back instead of constantly running around moaning about the state of techno today as some people do.

dirty_bass
13-07-2007, 03:36 PM
My negative input in here is what keeps my email box filled with people asking me for an honest opinion about production stuff I guess.

but you still haven`t really said what another mod would do in here,.

And there is nothing negative about pointing out observations.
It`s true, we have lost a lot of people to some other forums, I see them in other places now, and most felt like they were barking up the wrong tree as this place got very clubby/acid oriented, and lacking in diversity.
What`s negative about that?
I`m saying we need more diversity, which is a POSITIVE thing.

Now how is a mod going to do this?

Put up some more sticky`s?
Some competitions?
Remixes for your record label?

It`s all been done in the last 4 years man, this place is cyclic and will pick up, it`s just dull this time of year, as people have better things to do.
I don`t actually think anything needs to be done.
the production section backs this place up nicely for more hardcore technique, and this is a good place to place your tracks for criticism.
If anything we just need a little sticky saying
"please check your ego when posting a track, if you don`t want any critical statements, don`t place your tracks in a forum where they can be critiqued"
Other than that, it`s all gravey in here.

rhythmtech
13-07-2007, 03:43 PM
My negative input in here is what keeps my email box filled with people asking me for an honest opinion about production stuff I guess.

well aint that great for you..

but i personally know at least 7/8 people that arent bothered posting up here because of YOUR small minded comments about their production.. if it doesnt fit steve's idea of whats "diverse" or "differant" then its obvioulsy just another davethedrummer clone.

im not getting into a slagging match but this is a fact.

and if any of those people wish to comment then go ahead.. they know who they are.

dirty_bass
13-07-2007, 04:02 PM

but i personally know at least 7/8 people that arent bothered posting up here because of YOUR small minded comments about their production.. if it doesnt fit steve's idea of whats "diverse" or "differant" then its obvioulsy just another davethedrummer clone.

that`s crap.
I very rarely make any comments about content.
In fact I very very very rarely post in here.

Content is subjective, and down to taste.
I post about production.
And I`m very blunt about production technique, which does offend some people with fragile egos.
But then, tough, don`t post stuff up expecting nothing but a pat on the back.
If anyone doesn`t post because of my critique it says more about them than it does about me, my opinion on subjective terms is just my opinion.

rhythmtech
13-07-2007, 04:11 PM
if its crap then why are these people not posting anymore?

i know you've blasted quite a few fatcollective tracks b4 yet these tracks go on to get released on big labels.. weird how that works eh?

good music is just goos music.. the public buy the records no matter what you or i say about them on hereand the public have bought many of the fatcollectives records..

if, like you claim, content is subjective, then how is comparing a certain style to another producers "all about production"?

you only need to look over your older posts to see this happening.

dirty_bass
13-07-2007, 04:35 PM
if its crap then why are these people not posting anymore?

i know you've blasted quite a few fatcollective tracks b4 yet these tracks go on to get released on big labels.. weird how that works eh?

good music is just goos music.. the public buy the records no matter what you or i say about them on hereand the public have bought many of the fatcollectives records..

if, like you claim, content is subjective, then how is comparing a certain style to another producers "all about production"?

you only need to look over your older posts to see this happening.

ah I see where this was going. thought so
Well, it was only the fat collective, and this was probably about a year and a half ago when they were posting up about a new track a day, which all sounded the same to me.
I still think what they were doing then was very much mimicking the LondonTechno Mafia, they were wearing their influences on their sleeves. Still do to a certain degree in some productions, although some of them have developed their own take on the sound now, and all power to them.
And I never commented whether it would sell or not, sales don`t mean a hell of a lot to me.
I don`t hold sales to be anything to do with good music.
Otherwise hideous manufactured bands like Girls Aloud wouldn`t sell so many records.

However, apart from that, I never really got on the content tip too much.
If I do it`s generally for a very strong reason.

anyway this all goes onto the point about fragile egos.
If you put your tracks up in a place where people can comment on them, expect people to comment on them, and don`t always expect to be happy with the comments.
Otherwise put your tracks up on myspace and remove the comments option.

Now

why do we need a mod in here?

rhythmtech
13-07-2007, 04:41 PM
we need a mod here to try and keep things flowing.. we need someone who's prepared to comment on tracks.. no matter who they're from. a lot of tracks just dissappear in here from newer people to the forum and they probably wont come back again because they think "why should i bother if i just get ignored"

and no matter how many times we all say we'll do it.. we dont.

at least a mod can take on some responsibility for this..

and also organising remixs comps etc.. so what if it didnt work b4. does that mean we just give up on it?

p_brane
13-07-2007, 05:18 PM
we need a mod here to try and keep things flowing.. we need someone who's prepared to comment on tracks.. no matter who they're from. a lot of tracks just dissappear in here from newer people to the forum and they probably wont come back again because they think "why should i bother if i just get ignored"

thats a good shout Rhythmtech.

i've only been posting here for 6 months, and i'd agree that the moderators should be commenting on all tracks regardless.....it gets the ball rolling...you usually find if 1 person gives decent constructive feedback then other comments follow.

ive posted tracks on other forums after giving feedback to members just to 'be ignored' and yeh i dont post on them anymore simple as.

and as for remixing. it would be cool to have that option. i browsed way back in the archives and this sort of thing was going on a lot.

bring it back i say.:; :;

stjohn
13-07-2007, 05:46 PM
but i personally know at least 7/8 people that arent bothered posting up here because of YOUR small minded comments about their production..

i have never really felt that steves comments were unfair. fact of the matter is Production is a never ending adventure, and we need comments like his, to outline any possible mistakes and work on them. plus theyre just comments... if u dont want to follow them, dont.... same for anyones comments..

ive said it before, but i owe alot to the 'negative' comments posted on my tracks from the start... if it wasnt for them, id still be clashing basslines with kickdrums and all sorts.

dan the acid man
13-07-2007, 05:47 PM
not had time to read all of this yet apart from the first couple of posts, will do tomorrow.

Im not a fan of the rating system though, as Scott says it would probably result in fewer posts in here, as people will feel they've contributed by just pressing a button saying they like it, or they don't.

Yes it's been quiet in here for a while, but so has every other section of the forum really.

When i first joined i was in here everyday listening to tunes and giving feedback, but lack of time and some people getting upset over criticism means i had quite a long break from visiting this section (even though i am a mod in here:ohdear: )

i am slowly starting to visit here more though, especially as we now have some new posters posting tracks

MARK ANXIOUS
13-07-2007, 06:06 PM
wow, it's all went off there then. calm down ya fukas!!!

:laughing:

well i don't post in here alot, purely because of time. but it doesnt means i don't care what happens here. from what i read in here yesterday, everyone's feedback on ppl tracks has been brilliant, really constructive and really useful. i think this place is no different to each time i've bobbed on over the years, a great range of music. i just wanna give it more purpose. i think you're right, if i come on here every month and take the best 1 or 2 tracks for the BOA Radio thing, then there ya go, we have a reason and a goal for ppl to aim for.

i'm try to aim for an ftp upload thing and i'll get more involved. as for a mod, well in my experience here, the more mods getting actively involved, the better. i think it's a good idea baz, i will give it more thought over the weekend and let's talk next week!!!

:)

dirty_bass
13-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Well it`s cyclic, I think I`ve probably been active in this place longer than most.
4 years here now.
It dips and troughs.
We`ve had many many remix comps
Many stickies with other incentives etc
None of it makes much odds to what goes on in here, it just depends on activity at the time.
In my opinion, a place like this, where we are dealing with subjectivity needs less mods, especially connected to production, because it will end up tightening rules and turning the place into a reach around fest.

If you want to comment more on tracks, comment more on trakcs, you don`t need to be a mod to do it.

Best thing you can do mark, is sort out a some server space so people can post their tracks and hotlink.

If there was more tracks hosted this way, I`d probably make more of an effort to help out again for sure.

But really, there`s nowt wrong with the place, it just happnes to be a little quite at this particular time when you have popped in.

rhythmtech
13-07-2007, 06:15 PM
wow, it's all went off there then. calm down ya fukas!!!

:laughing:

well i don't post in here alot, purely because of time. but it doesnt means i don't care what happens here. from what i read in here yesterday, everyone's feedback on ppl tracks has been brilliant, really constructive and really useful. i think this place is no different to each time i've bobbed on over the years, a great range of music. i just wanna give it more purpose. i think you're right, if i come on here every month and take the best 1 or 2 tracks for the BOA Radio thing, then there ya go, we have a reason and a goal for ppl to aim for.

i'm try to aim for an ftp upload thing and i'll get more involved. as for a mod, well in my experience here, the more mods getting actively involved, the better. i think it's a good idea baz, i will give it more thought over the weekend and let's talk next week!!!

sounds good mark..

just to re-itterate. im not pushing for it myself but i am willing to do it if you want.. my "job" :laughing: lets me be on here all day anyway.

but whats more important is to get someone, no matter who it is, thats willing and able to put the time in.

p_brane
13-07-2007, 06:16 PM
"Best thing you can do mark, is sort out a some server space so people can post their tracks and hotlink."

here here

The Overfiend
13-07-2007, 07:26 PM

im not getting into a slagging match but this is a fact.

and if any of those people wish to comment then go ahead.. they know who they are.

I have to stand behind this statement 210%
Even after it was publicly stated by yourself that according to you I do not handle criticism well, I could not see how that made sense considering I have not posted publicly here in two years.
So I have recently decided to post a new track on here which when I have, has not been reviewed much, so the ear of someone who would be objective and would review each track I think is a bonus to Blackout based on the fact that no matter what you are making someone will give you sound audio advice, without the well this is not experimental enough and has no logical progression to it. Audio advice being the key point of the Techno Production Forum. Artistic development may be a different basis for review altogether. You cannot tell a painter what to paint, but you can teach them how to.

eyeswithoutaface
13-07-2007, 07:36 PM
all this toys out the pram shit can be summed in basically between 2 choices. Them being....

a) post your tracks up for constructive criticism
b) dont post your tracks up for constructive criticism

it genuinely, honestly is that simple when you think about it. New Mod's and all that rubbish just people trying to justify wasting too much time online, its pretty much null and void in a forum like this one, where barring the odd heated discussion, there is just genuinely not much need, if any at all, for a mod. Everything that has been mentioned here has been done, many, many times before, and with usually negative ending. There were certain mod's who thought it put them above others etc when they didnt have the skills to back up the talk etc, it just creates the invisible hierarchy, which, according to most, is something we definately need less of here

seriously ive been here now for about 5, maybe 6 years (its longer than 4 steve!!!) and this place goes in cycles as already said. Everything in techno slows down at this time of the year, from sales to releases, to events etc, it makes perfect sense that its not exactly booming in here. The other forums arent exactly overcrowded at the moment either to be honest

you should just genuinely let this place carry on how it is mark, as all the kerfuffle just creates an illusion that there are more problems here than there genuinely are

The Overfiend
13-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Well regardless of what Scott has posted I beg to differ.
I do believe appointing a Mod that will review everything that is posted with an objective point of view will only add to the value of the "Production Forum."
Products, Companies, Movements, and such do not progress without providing reasoning for change. The expressed objection or request or want should display the interest in a new approach, therefore the consideration for something new to be appointed should not be ignored.

Take into consideration
"A belief that having continuous success in the same area makes you believe too much in your own power, which harms your creativity"

The challenge facing the administrators of this forum seeking to implement revolutionary change within the organization is to manage that change outside the straitjacket of the existing bureaucracy, procedures and norms.

eyeswithoutaface
13-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Well regardless of what Scott has posted I beg to differ.
I do believe appointing a Mod that will review everything that is posted with an objective point of view will only add to the value of the "Production Forum."
Products, Companies, Movements, and such do not progress without providing reasoning for change. The expressed objection or request or want should display the interest in a new approach, therefore the consideration for something new to be appointed should not be ignored.

Take into consideration
"A belief that having continuous success in the same area makes you believe too much in your own power, which harms your creativity"

The challenge facing the administrators of this forum seeking to implement revolutionary change within the organization is to manage that change outside the straitjacket of the existing bureaucracy, procedures and norms.

man, i think your reading way too much into what is essentially a group of friends listening to each others music

and you cant expect a mod to review EVERY track that gets posted, thats just stupid and quite selfish. No one is under obligation to listen to and comment on everything, or anything for that matter, thats get posted. Which is why its a nice personal thing when people DO comment, with whatever they choose to put. With the amount of tracks getting posted here you'd be talking a few hours a day of someones time, and from my experience everyone here has other jobs and stuff they need to dedicate time too, and it wouldnt be nice if someone was starting to feel guilty about being a mod and not actually being ABLE to check everything that was posted.

and please dont use the expression "regardless of what scott says" as your indicating that i somehow insinuate what im typing is gospel. It's not, its just the voice of experience within these forums. Ive seen this exact thread practically many times over the years, just with different usernames doing the typing :)

dirty_bass
13-07-2007, 08:28 PM

I hate to state the obvious, but anyone can post and review reguluarly.
Suddenly being a mod doesn`t give you magic powers that allows you to comment on everything.
If people want to comment, then comment, sticking another mod on here won`t matter.
Will the mod be under orders to review all music posted?

The Overfiend
13-07-2007, 08:41 PM
and please dont use the expression "regardless of what scott says" as your indicating that i somehow insinuate what im typing is gospel. It's not, its just the voice of experience within these forums. Ive seen this exact thread practically many times over the years, just with different usernames doing the typing :)

I stated such terminology to point out I disagreed specifically with your text.

In regards to the text written by Dirty Bass, I would think that whatever tasks are to be assigned to the new Mod would appointed by the admin themselves.
There are suggestions which we as a group may or could give, but ultimately those kind of decisions would made by them.
I was just stating that contributing, through the execution of strategies, organizational objectives, and the mission of this forum, are or should be the standards by which the forum could be managed.

eyeswithoutaface
13-07-2007, 08:44 PM
I stated such terminology to point out I disagreed specifically with your text.

In regards to the text written by Dirty Bass, I would think that whatever tasks are to be assigned to the new Mod would appointed by the admin themselves.
There are suggestions which we as a group may or could give, but ultimately those kind of decisions would made by them.
I was just stating that contributing, through the execution of strategies, organizational objectives, and the mission of this forum, are or should be the standards by which the forum could be managed.

thats fair enough, could of been worded somewhat better i thought that's all....

as for the rest, nah man, a mod should be here just to make sure things are ticking over nicely, sort out any disagreements etc, not run the place and be certainly shouldnt expected to review every single track posted or even be given certain instructions, there are protocol to follow of course but i think this is all getting way over the top now

dirty_bass
13-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Organisational objectives?
Jesus, I thought we would just listen to a few tracks, talk about them, offer some production advice now and again.
I turn my back for 5 minutes, and suddenly the place turns into Starbucks

I`ll have a skinnychinnychino please.

The Overfiend
13-07-2007, 08:47 PM
http://lyricsv5.free.fr/pix/bo6p.jpg

eyeswithoutaface
13-07-2007, 08:48 PM
awesome film, im going to have to dig that out on VHS tommorow been a few years now!

classic

dirty_bass
13-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Stallone at his oscar worthy best.

The Overfiend
13-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Nothing beats seeing someone guzzle a gallon of Valvoline before an arm wrestling match.

Back en focus.
What I think is that this forum is one of the premier techno forums out there.
Why not reconfigure this forum to be somewhat of a techno school.
RIght now it's like there is no foucs of authority and accountability, and the organization functions are kind of overlapping. Care should be taken to ensure members of this forum would be given a voice in the new Mod selection and role process. A project like this would create a direct means of creating value for the members of this forum, as well as users that wish to join the forum. Who would not like to learn how to produce in a stronger and more effective manner, by the likes of the talent that frequent this establishment?

Will there be a demand for a new system in which everyones work was reviewed and creatively critiqued?

Yes

Will the new system survive in regards to offering more than maybe other fourms could or would?

Yes

Will the system ultimately provide a satisfactory return on investment (of time) to the organization (Blackout Audio)?

Yes, the quality of work and better music coming from the group will be obvious.

dirty_bass
13-07-2007, 09:17 PM
I still don`t see how any of this psychobabble is any different to how things have always been.

People posting tracks
People either listening and feeding back, or not.
Sure, pop in a mod, someone of even temperament like Dan would be handy I`m sure. Maybe Force (Darren) or Rory, both seem very even tempered.

But for all the talk, you will still get the same dips and peaks in interest, and a new mod, will probably not make a huge difference to input and output.
Maybe as before it will make a difference for a month, or 2 at a stretch, then things will go back to the normal cycle.

I`ve peaked in at this place over the last year, but basically stayed out of interacting with in, and I see absolutely nothing wrong with how it is.

Maybe an open topic for suggested improvements as a sticky would help?

rhythmtech
13-07-2007, 09:46 PM
personally i think that you're looking at what a mod could do in the wrong light.

this forum doesnt need an overseer.. just someone who's willing to take things that little bit further than just commenting on the odd track.

for someone so forward thinking you've got a very adverse reaction to a section you didnt seem to bothered about until this afternoon.

and just as an aside, (and i know rory or darren would do a great job), what has level headedness got to do with moderating a section that doesnt need that perticular style of moderation?

BRADLEE
13-07-2007, 09:58 PM
I think Rory is actually the perfect choice. Just my humble opinion Baz...but I see your point too.

rhythmtech
13-07-2007, 09:59 PM
I think Rory is actually the perfect choice. Just my humble opinion Baz...but I see your point too.

im not making a point to get the job :laughing:

im just saying that the modding skillz needed in other forums arent needed in here

dirty_bass
13-07-2007, 10:04 PM
I think level headedness is more important than ever, as this part of the forum contains peoples personal work, and is easily open to abuse (by the mods too)
that`s why dan was such a good choice for this place, most even tempered guy on the board.

I have never said I wasn`t bothered about this section, this and the prod section are the most important part of it for me, always have been.
I simply don`t have the time to listen to everything like I used to.
However, I`ve still kept up with things, doing a good dig around all the files posted once or twice a month.

I mean sure, more activity is great, but again, what is one person(a mod) posting all the time, there`s no balanced opinion if it`s just them.
Loads of people from here email me or pm me anyway, so the prod files section kinda comes to me anyway, without having to actually go there.

I`m fairly sure mark will wack in a new mod in here anyway, I hope he makes the right choice, however, as the eternal devils advocado, I will always stand against the tide.

xfive
14-07-2007, 01:59 AM
As Steve and Scott and others have said... Everything in here is cyclical.
We've tried everything to "push the boundaries" of this part of the forum... fact of the matter is, it just doesn't matter.
Only thing that matters is that people post tracks and others comment. Last time I checked you don't need to be a mod to do that.
I for one have been out of town the last few weeks and am in the process of moving across the country and getting my ducks in a row, so I can't personally sit here and listen to everything that everyone posts.
However I am trying to come in when I do have time, when I'm at home (listening on shitty earbuds in the middle of a coffee shop doesn't really help anyone now does it?), and hold no discrimination to style nor skill.

It's the summer time... people will be less busy soon, and more in their studios both making stuff and listening to others' work.

I think making it easier to post via ftp/web space or whatever is the best thing that can be done in here.
Trying to listen to 10 tracks in a row and half of them don't download or are expired or whatever is just a waste of time.

There you go Mark... my two cents :)

loopdon
14-07-2007, 03:53 AM
Xfive, this ftp/web idea is very good for the reasons you named.

Little_Fella!
14-07-2007, 05:36 AM
Well I just wanted to say that, having only just come up to a level of competence production wise that I am just about comfortable with really, I'm glad that this section is here...:)

The couple of posts I have put up generated some very helpful feedback indeed... However, I do understand that the level of activity fluctuates somewhat i.e. posting a tune that gets over 100 views (hurrah!), then your next one only gets 24 (..boo!)...

So, for me, the realisation that activity fluctuates just means that I'll post up again at some other time, rather than me feeling overlooked...

Oh how I cryed...:rucrybaby:

AcidTrash
14-07-2007, 07:30 PM
I can't speak for anyone else but the negativity of this section put me off for a long while.

dirty_bass
15-07-2007, 08:45 AM
I can't speak for anyone else but the negativity of this section put me off for a long while.

No pete, what put you off was everyone saying the same things about your tunes every time. Basic production advice, which you continously poo pooed.
Although we did notice you took some of the advice on board everntually.

As is said above, if you just want a pat on the back, don`t post in a forum that by design is an open community for help and critique.

AcidTrash
15-07-2007, 05:36 PM
No, It was the tone of it all. People were rather unpleasant to each other here.

The Overfiend
15-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Considerable emotion is involved whenever the subject of production and posting ones artwork comes up. The potential for problems for building a case for music are surrounded by formidable strategic issues that are displayed in the responses to the request for change in this sector. Until these strategic issues are resolved, or recognized, it is highly unlikely that any future resolve for revamping this section would be or could be launched. A passive safety as it relates to this section refers to the forum's ability to take advantage of inherent, natural characteristics to move itself into a safe condition without the need to moderate or set a predetermined moderator procedure to do the same.

MARK ANXIOUS
15-07-2007, 08:35 PM
i cant believe how i ask for a simple bit of advice on how to improve the section and it turns into everyone's personal problems with each other. damn, some of you really seem to have a few issues!!! :laughing:

ok look, we need to focus of the positive here. actually i went on a whole page's worth of posts the other day and there was not the slagging that you small few are saying, i really saw nothing but good and ppl trying to help each other. i want to really work on this and find a way that ppl find it easier to post, the posts are moderated in the best way they can (ie admin'ed), and there's a bit more of a purpose.

i'm willing to give rhythmtech ago. he's a general nice guy, understands how ot put a track together and spends alot of time on here. AND he wants to do it. well give ppl i try i say and see what happens. why not? the reason why mods are needed is not cause they are 'better' that the members, it's cause they have a passion for the forum. rhythmtech definately does :)

well, i am defiintely feeling the ftp thing. i have to look into it (does anyone know a good way to do this in vbulletin??) and i will come on here each month and choose 1 or 2 tracks for the radio and post the results. actually if i get into the ftp thing this might enable me to make sections for samples, loops and perhaps ableton files ;)

anything else anyone can suggest would be wicked!!!

thanks everyone!!! :cool:

p_brane
15-07-2007, 10:44 PM
sections for samples, loops and perhaps ableton files

that would be mega, mark.

rhythmtech
15-07-2007, 10:46 PM
thats cool mark.. but being honest you've not a thing to worry about.

me & steve dbass are cool.. we're both just hotheads with too much to say for ourselves :laughing:

believe me, and he'll back me up here, theres nothing taken too seriously between us :cool:

dirty_bass
16-07-2007, 07:50 AM
Considerable emotion is involved whenever the subject of production and posting ones artwork comes up. The potential for problems for building a case for music are surrounded by formidable strategic issues that are displayed in the responses to the request for change in this sector. Until these strategic issues are resolved, or recognized, it is highly unlikely that any future resolve for revamping this section would be or could be launched. A passive safety as it relates to this section refers to the forum's ability to take advantage of inherent, natural characteristics to move itself into a safe condition without the need to moderate or set a predetermined moderator procedure to do the same.

Someone got a new thesaurus for their birthday.

dirty_bass
16-07-2007, 07:53 AM
thats cool mark.. but being honest you've not a thing to worry about.

me & steve dbass are cool.. we're both just hotheads with too much to say for ourselves :laughing:

believe me, and he'll back me up here, theres nothing taken too seriously between us :cool:

Dunno what the **** you are on about mate, I think you`re a prize cunt, obviously, someone from here told me I did the other day, apparently to get on we have to all hug daily, and have sex, put our fingers in our ears when we disagree with anything and sing
"Everyone in techno is a brother who we must have bum love with" over and over again.

:P

dirty_bass
16-07-2007, 08:07 AM
Anyway, to be honest mark, all I`m saying is that, despite your occasional visit to this part of the forum, I don`t think you really have seen how this place works long term. For a long time there were furtive discussions running around in pm`s actually discussing if you were aware of the amazing talent pool that has been through this place in the last 5 years.
I`ve seen this place go up and down, and I`ve always kept an eye on it, although in the last year I`ve been less involved in the production tips etc.
And, nothing is going on now, that hasn`t already happened, or will happen again, look at what your own mod has already said on the matter.
So cool, Rythm gets to be mod no.3, and he`ll instigate some new things like mod 1, and then mod 2 did, with enthusiasm and the best of intentions, and they in turn will fizzle out and back again with the tides of this place.

Now I don`t mean any of this in a negative way at all, all I mean, is that this place is fine, and very healthy, and has a life of it`s own. New producers will turn up, they`ll develop their own little community here, learn enough to make their own way, and then move on. Then a new bunch will turn up, and on and on, just like it has been. Some of us will hang around, keep an eye on the new kids, spot some potential in some of them, and give em some advice.
Those that show no potential generally float away after a while.

But it`s all tinkering, the basic mechanics are essentially this.

New producers posting tunes to get some advice, or to expose themselves to an audience.
Reasonably to well experienced producers seeking fine tuning help and/or confirmation of problems they themselves have spotted.
People who need a little ego boost by posting their tunes, wanting a pat on the back, and then moaning when given production advice, or when flaws in production are pointed out.

Those with similar ideals and tastes tend to hook up outside the site for collaborations and stuff.

That`s about it, you can post some remix competitions, and these have been done many many times, but eventually they fizzle out with waning interest.

I`m willing to bet come september-ish, things will pick up in here again, and activity will rise.

Now it`s no critisism really aimed at the new mod or you, but you`ll see, if you come back regularly, that this place has it`s own rythm.

The Overfiend
16-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Someone got a new thesaurus for their birthday.

Actually, someone just knows how to speak english.

dirty_bass
16-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Actually, someone just knows how to speak english.

but not with good grammer :devil:

The Overfiend
16-07-2007, 07:14 PM
You smell like hellfire and brimstone, with a smidge of booty juice mixed in.

MARK ANXIOUS
17-07-2007, 01:00 AM
Anyway, to be honest mark, all I`m saying is that, despite your occasional visit to this part of the forum, I don`t think you really have seen how this place works long term. For a long time there were furtive discussions running around in pm`s actually discussing if you were aware of the amazing talent pool that has been through this place in the last 5 years.
I`ve seen this place go up and down, and I`ve always kept an eye on it, although in the last year I`ve been less involved in the production tips etc.
And, nothing is going on now, that hasn`t already happened, or will happen again, look at what your own mod has already said on the matter.
So cool, Rythm gets to be mod no.3, and he`ll instigate some new things like mod 1, and then mod 2 did, with enthusiasm and the best of intentions, and they in turn will fizzle out and back again with the tides of this place.

Now I don`t mean any of this in a negative way at all, all I mean, is that this place is fine, and very healthy, and has a life of it`s own. New producers will turn up, they`ll develop their own little community here, learn enough to make their own way, and then move on. Then a new bunch will turn up, and on and on, just like it has been. Some of us will hang around, keep an eye on the new kids, spot some potential in some of them, and give em some advice.
Those that show no potential generally float away after a while.

But it`s all tinkering, the basic mechanics are essentially this.

New producers posting tunes to get some advice, or to expose themselves to an audience.
Reasonably to well experienced producers seeking fine tuning help and/or confirmation of problems they themselves have spotted.
People who need a little ego boost by posting their tunes, wanting a pat on the back, and then moaning when given production advice, or when flaws in production are pointed out.

Those with similar ideals and tastes tend to hook up outside the site for collaborations and stuff.

That`s about it, you can post some remix competitions, and these have been done many many times, but eventually they fizzle out with waning interest.

I`m willing to bet come september-ish, things will pick up in here again, and activity will rise.

Now it`s no critisism really aimed at the new mod or you, but you`ll see, if you come back regularly, that this place has it`s own rythm.

heheh i really do know how this section works mate, i promise you. i have my eye on this like you wouldn't know. it is after all my forum, my baby. i might not post, but i do know ;)

just gotta get the bloody thing working better, that's all i'm bothered about.

let's get this music /section moving forward. if anyone's with me on this, let's go!!!

dirty_bass
17-07-2007, 06:31 PM
You smell like hellfire and brimstone, with a smidge of booty juice mixed in.

You smell like slightly sweaty womens shoes with a hint of burned rubber and a good dash of havana club (with freshly squeezed orange oil)

dirty_bass
17-07-2007, 06:35 PM
heheh i really do know how this section works mate, i promise you. i have my eye on this like you wouldn't know. it is after all my forum, my baby. i might not post, but i do know ;)

just gotta get the bloody thing working better, that's all i'm bothered about.

let's get this music /section moving forward. if anyone's with me on this, let's go!!!

I`m not against moving forward, I just don`t see what isn`t working?

BRADLEE
17-07-2007, 07:40 PM
You all smell like monkies...

Jay Pace
17-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Not read through all of this, so sorry if this is repeating.....

Set up server space. Sendspace etc are shite, I get blocked from it at work, loadsa them have porn ads (so NWS) and its generally off putting.

If you hosted tracks on BOA server it would make them easy to download, and give the opportunity to stream them all together as a sort of showcase, in case you don't have the time to go through each individual post and follow the links to where ever they may lead.

Make stuff easier to listen to and you'll find that more people listen. And the more people listen, the more likely people will be to comment.

Other than that I'd mainly leave things as they are.
Maybe just restate the put in - take out factor. If you want feedback on your tunes, give feedback to other people. Gain some visibility as a human being before asking a community of people to appraise your work as a producer. I find the people who will take the time to listen and comment on my tracks are the people I've been blethering with over the years and I have a connection with. If you are new, then contribute. It all comes back.

BRADLEE
17-07-2007, 10:36 PM
If you want feedback on your tunes, give feedback to other people. Gain some visibility as a human being before asking a community of people to appraise your work as a producer. I find the people who will take the time to listen and comment on my tracks are the people I've been blethering with over the years and I have a connection with. If you are new, then contribute. It all comes back.

:-)

The Overfiend
18-07-2007, 12:19 AM
:-)

His teeth really look like that in person.

dan the acid man
18-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Not read through all of this, so sorry if this is repeating.....

Set up server space. Sendspace etc are shite, I get blocked from it at work, loadsa them have porn ads (so NWS) and its generally off putting.

If you hosted tracks on BOA server it would make them easy to download, and give the opportunity to stream them all together as a sort of showcase, in case you don't have the time to go through each individual post and follow the links to where ever they may lead.

Make stuff easier to listen to and you'll find that more people listen. And the more people listen, the more likely people will be to comment.

Other than that I'd mainly leave things as they are.
Maybe just restate the put in - take out factor. If you want feedback on your tunes, give feedback to other people. Gain some visibility as a human being before asking a community of people to appraise your work as a producer. I find the people who will take the time to listen and comment on my tracks are the people I've been blethering with over the years and I have a connection with. If you are new, then contribute. It all comes back.

very good point regarding giving feedback to others if you want it back

Little_Fella!
24-07-2007, 11:09 PM

Really well said this and as a newbie on the production front I am very aware of this myself...

A person in my position would want to contribute in some way but may feel sadly lacking in experience, as agin others on the forum. Also access to the internet may be limited so involvement may be somewhat irregular...

It's finding a way to give feedback without just saying, 'I like this bit and that bit's dead good'... Sometimes you can sense what you've said is falling on deaf ears when there hasn't actually been any previous connection with the artist...

Which is fair do's but artists may genuinely want to nestle into the 'community' only to feel a wintry air...

As an observation, the point being that everyone has different starting points when they come into this part of the forum and perhaps allowances can be made for this... :)

278d7e64a374de26f==