PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Miss Their Hardware ?

module
13-07-2007, 12:26 AM
i flogged it all & now use jus a lappy.. love what i can do & it outstrips the old drumachines & synths & samplers i had..

but i miss them.. i miss my TR505 & SR16.. i'm >almost< on the verge of gettin an MPC or the like..

anyone else miss their old Roland & Yamaha plastic wonders ?

rhythmtech
13-07-2007, 12:39 AM
i miss my korg..

BUT

controllers kinda make up.. not totally but at least you get hands on with them :)

stjohn
13-07-2007, 03:56 AM
im just beginning to ride the hardware superhighway....

IMO it it is a gazillion more times more fun feckin with the dedicated harware...
controllers are good too... but it can never match a perfected h/w design

Patrick DSP
13-07-2007, 04:49 AM
i miss my soundcraft ghost the most. so warm it was like putting my mix through a fireplace!

FILTERZ
13-07-2007, 09:11 AM
dont miss it coz i still have it and use it

dirty_bass
13-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Don`t miss it all all.
Flogged it all now.
I`m enjoying total freedom and immersion in my composition environment.
Although I have a particular way of working, and know exactly what I want when I begin, so playing around with gear has never really been a part of my way of working.

Louk
13-07-2007, 10:35 AM
don't have any except a yamaha su-10 sampler which is not used but I woulld like a Virus TI.

christian wagner
13-07-2007, 10:37 AM
I love my hardware, breaks you away from the lifeless dull computer screen, plus, im really starting to dislike softsynths.

Alphajuno
13-07-2007, 11:19 AM
I have a Alphajuno 2 (hence the name) back in Leeds. I miss it soooooo much, everytime i write a sub part especially.

But bah hardware and travelling dont go together so well.

RDR
13-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Dont miss it in the slightest, love my environment.

Jay Pace
19-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Love my waldorf pulse, love my sherman filterbank.

I could probably lose the pulse and just use the filterbank though. Proper unpredictable analogue character. I like using hardware that brings something new to the table. Otherwise you might as well just go digital.

stjohn
19-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Love my waldorf pulse, love my sherman filterbank.

I could probably lose the pulse and just use the filterbank though. Proper unpredictable analogue character. I like using hardware that brings something new to the table. Otherwise you might as well just go digital.

yea man... these things look the shit!!! fancy throwing up a quick mp3 snippet of just some filter madness? i think i might invest this summer...

how do u set about using it?

Jay Pace
19-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Will do, the distortion on it is just plain nasty, the filters are mad.

You can do some sublte warming and filtering to sounds to give them character, or you can mangle them beyond recognition.

Good to use for both. Subtle on drums and bass, aggressive on synths etc.

Will post you up some samples. Every track I've done uses the sherman on the synths

The sherman site has some pretty decent examples:
http://www.sherman.be/

stjohn
19-07-2007, 01:23 PM
sweet cheers for the link...

do u route hardware through it.. or send some software out into it and back in ??

stjohn
19-07-2007, 01:32 PM
wau!! it sounds ****ing great man..im sold!

Jay Pace
19-07-2007, 01:44 PM
I route soft synths to give them character, hardware synths for massive sounds.

Its a beast. Depends on what you want to make, but its absolutely crucial to me when making stuff.

stjohn
19-07-2007, 01:59 PM
i can imagine man..there wasa serious beef out of those snippets!
are you using the single or dual rack?

im on the hardware hunt this month... i was going to get a Dave smith evolver too! so the tally will be 2 serious pieces of kit for 1,000 euros

Jay Pace
19-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Just got the single myself. Would love a dual, but don't have the cashish. Plus finding it more of a challenge to make tracks sound big with very little use of stereo. They're made to come out of mono PA's after all...

stjohn
19-07-2007, 02:31 PM
* strokes chin and ponders the possiblities of mono Vs stereo!

paulcortex
19-07-2007, 03:52 PM
nope dont miss my kit cos i kept it all...and im still buying more :)

force
23-07-2007, 07:27 PM
* strokes knob and ponders the possiblities of mono Vs stereo!

bit to much info there Rory!

Abstract Science
25-07-2007, 01:19 PM
I won't even consider making music with reason or ableton or the likes hardware all the way

loopdon
25-07-2007, 09:20 PM
I won't even consider making music with reason or ableton or the likes hardware all the way

Now that's what i call a fresh approach.

eyeswithoutaface
25-07-2007, 10:01 PM

haha ive got to laugh at that astute stubborness

over the last year or more ive been buying various bits of both hardware and software after being 100% software, and i have to say for me there is no difference. It's the end product that counts for me, not what ive had to use to make it

ive mainly been getting effects units small, older synths like 80's casio's and what not and to be fair they havent turned into essential parts of my studio it has to say, apart from the Lexicon stuff ive been buying, especially the MPX100 i got

ive yet to find a piece of hardware that is anywhere near as flexible as Reaktor, or many, many other pieces of software for that matter

Jay Pace
26-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Reaktor's the shizzle.

Not for the faint hearted though. Still, makes more sense to me than absynth.

herman
26-07-2007, 04:06 PM
Can't say I miss my hardware too much except my old Notron and Mutator on occasion.

TechMouse
26-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Hardware just gives you immediacy and a short cut to character, at the expense of some flexibility.

RDR
26-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Hardware just gives you immediacy and a short cut to character, at the expense of some flexibility.

And if its behringer hardware.. its cold german character, grey and precise.

ja.

RDR
26-07-2007, 06:58 PM
I dont care AT ALL about this argument.

If it sounds good it is good.

acidsaturation
05-08-2007, 10:34 AM
Argh... didn't need to see this discussion...

The fecking powersupply for the Folio that submixes some of my synths has died and can't afford a new one (or a new mixer maybe..??) so yes I am missing my hardware...

It was weird, I totally ignored the hardware for about 2 years, and then got soooooo back into it, 'cos it's so much more fun to play live...

Was listening to ADF yesterday morning and just dying to sample a bit off Buzzin - "This is the miracle of modern creation" into some techno...
With the hardware down, I put it in the PC, but it just didn't work for me... seemed far too much effort, wasn't gonna be a tune I'd make as a finished production, but was just screaming to be a loud nasty 160bmp acidfest last tune of a live set...

M'Eh...

Rant over...

*sneaks off to see if my lass'll lend me a few quid for a month or two*

ps hello everyone... dunno why I ain't been on here for so long...

d3nt
08-08-2007, 07:24 PM
yes. and the z1 isn't enough.

akuma
11-08-2007, 08:21 AM
i bought my virus a year ago and have only just started using it properly. so much more fun to play with. although they have more possibilities i dont miss my soft-synths at all at the moment.

holotropik
28-08-2007, 11:28 AM
I still use hardware
but
I am about to look into the PC based thing...??

I just bought the Korg Zero8...so we'll see what it can do for me??

Never really attracted to using the PC for music but if I can use an interface to play with the PC it might work?

Tyrisia
28-08-2007, 12:11 PM
A happy medium can be found I suppose, I've sold all my hardware except the Supernova, which I'm carrying to my grave coz I can make (almost) any sound on it, it's the first synth I had and I've had it for 7 years. But that ain't a reaction to hardware, it's a reaction to my bank balance being so low.

Some hardware is good, some software is bad, some stuff in general just plain don't suit the way a person works.

278d7e64a374de26f==