PDA

View Full Version : Schranz - Minimal - Extremes >>>

MARK ANXIOUS
17-07-2007, 01:12 AM
It's like new school is saying we need extremes. I think we need the middle. Bah...

Who am I to say what is right. The new is what matters. New school, old school whatever, it's time for your opinion!!!

:)

Si the Sigh
17-07-2007, 07:45 AM
What's the question?

RDR
17-07-2007, 08:00 AM
Middle of the road, acceptable non scary music, or out-there tempo driven (either way) craziness?

Dunno. in my mind people go to extremes' because they feel what is currently available doesnt cut it for them, or rather they seek to find their own identity amongst a sea of middle of the road stuff.

I think what we need is experimentation, but i dont think it has to be in the land of 70- BPM or 150+BPM music.

koma
17-07-2007, 10:30 AM
only quality matters.
number of BPMs and samples used is secondary.
extremes come in every music genre, so why not in techno, its just another step forward.

jeroenliebregts
17-07-2007, 11:01 AM
I think its kind of natural that after some time musicians get bored with their own music and start exaggerating one of the aspects of their music, like hardness.. tempo or minimalness... Sadly half the world mindlessly follows this movement, often lacking creativity.

Hopefully we just need these extremes to realize we should go right back to the middle.

robin m
17-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Experimentation is what drives it all forward and can only be good... but mid-tempo 'non-extreme' type techno definitely seems to be unrepresented these days.

Pretty much every time I've been out lately I've either thought the music was too minimal-y and could do with beefing up, or that it was too fast, nasty and OTT and got a bit boring - so I completely agree that more of the middle is what's needed :mrmyagi:

dirty_bass
17-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Mid tempo can be just as extreme in content, and isn`t middle of the road at all.
Extremes as in really fast and full to the brim with noise and compression/really slow and minimal are to me obvious.
I think the mid temp stuff that is done intelligently is basically music for a more mature ear (that hasn`t slowed doen and mellowed too much) and we have lost the older element in techno as a lot of us have grown up and moved on.

youth will always want more obvious extremes (such as schranze) with a more "on the surface" attitude.

and the older fogies who can`t hack the pace, but don`t want to quite resign to house, have minimal to entertain their aging bones.

I`m sure the cycle will come back and the mid temp stuff will re-emerge again. (well, not so much sure, as hopefull).

robin m
18-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Mid tempo can be just as extreme in content, and isn`t middle of the road at all.

I`m sure the cycle will come back and the mid temp stuff will re-emerge again. (well, not so much sure, as hopefull).

Completely agree, that's what I was trying to say but completely failed to articulate :upset:

Graham
18-07-2007, 01:08 PM
I think its the same with many styles of music. One generation create's the style and by definition that is middle of the road - they slowly become more experienced in what they are listening to and also become bored with too much of a good thing and therefore go one way (minimal) or the other (hard) and for a while the middle ground isn't catered for. That is until the people involved can get a new generation interested and they will start out from the middle of the road just like we all did and head out to one of the exptremes if they stay interested long enough. Its a well travelled path.

I'll confess to starting out with Hard House (which I still enjoy occasionally) and that was the same. Loved bounce at one point but can't bare it now but I listened to filth, funky, hard trance and all the other genre's along the way before finally settling on liking the funkier, middle of the road sound.

dirty_bass
18-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Maybe we are reaching the end of an era.
Like punk it had it`s cycle, then the people who formed it, got sick of what it became, and new movements came out of them.
Maybe techno has lost what it was, but something new will be born out of it?

TechMouse
18-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Maybe we are reaching the end of an era.
Like punk it had it`s cycle, then the people who formed it, got sick of what it became, and new movements came out of them.
Maybe techno has lost what it was, but something new will be born out of it?
As punk is to techno, so new romantic is to .... ?

(oh dear...)

RDR
18-07-2007, 05:22 PM
As punk is to techno, so new romantic is to .... ?

(oh dear...)

Prog?

damn i was never good at these sorts of games..

DannyBlack
23-07-2007, 05:07 PM
music is like this- you like what you like. you dont need extremes, but if you like it, you like it.

TechMouse
23-07-2007, 05:26 PM
music is like this- you like what you like. you dont need extremes, but if you like it, you like it.

Except freeform jazz, right?

http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=556247&postcount=24

DannyBlack
23-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Except freeform jazz, right?

http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=556247&postcount=24

thats not music, it is Utter Bollocks. hahahahahahahahahah!

Jay Pace
24-07-2007, 02:51 PM
I'd like to see more melodic elements come into play.

Bit bored of hearing shuffled DSP effects and endless plink and whumpa.

Saw Derrick May on Saturday - first time ever, somehow never crossed paths.
Man, he's got it all covered. Absolutely brilliant.

basslinejunkie
24-07-2007, 03:17 PM
slow it down a bit,make it more chunky,personally id love some more stuff like this.but whos to say whats right and wrong.everyone has diffrent tastes so everyone will list something diffrent and you cant please everyone.

oops i should really read the topic replys first eh,seems quite a few are looking for the tad slower and chunky approach.

278d7e64a374de26f==