PDA

View Full Version : End those Plastic, digital and brittle mixes

dirty_bass
24-07-2007, 05:56 PM
When doing your final mixdowns, you`ve probably done nothing but listen to the same damn tune for 1, 2 3 days (or more if you are as anal as me).

It`s easy to get lost in your own sound, and, particularly when working in PC, lost sight of what a well rounded, warm and present mix should sound like.

when mixing down, take some time out now and again, and listen to some old electronic music (or just some older music) of professional production, something pre 2000`s (as the end of the 90`s was the beginning of the volume war, and the destruction of dynamics), to get a feel for a nice present mix.
This should re-tune your ears to something more natural and well rounded, as it`s easy to lose your way when working purely digitally.

you can then use these other pieces of music as a rough guide, more for colouration and presence, to get your mix really tastey.

Siege
24-07-2007, 07:42 PM
Yeah, i always take some time out during mixdown time....fatigue can start to creep in, especially when listening over and over again....exactly what im doing now as a matter of fact.....quick brew n that ,and off we go again.

tonyc2002
25-07-2007, 01:10 AM
ive heard people mention that they like to run there mix through a hardware desk to add some "analouge warmth"......

is it really necesscary when faced with todays plugins?

loopdon
25-07-2007, 07:57 AM
No.

Barely Human
25-07-2007, 08:22 AM
ive heard people mention that they like to run there mix through a hardware desk to add some "analouge warmth"......

is it really necesscary when faced with todays plugins?

Nothing is neccercary, but a decent desk can add a certain character to a mix that sometimes using plugins fails at. Plus its nice to have a more hands on aproach to mixing down.

dirty_bass
25-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Warmth is as much as about HOW you EQ as is is what you run it through.

DannyBlack
25-07-2007, 04:24 PM
cheers for the advice man. when you reach a certain stage it really is so easy to get lost in your own sound. i like to get as many fresh ears as possible to hear it, get some fresh perspective.

RDR
25-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Warmth is as much as about HOW you EQ as is is what you run it through.

Indeed.

278d7e64a374de26f==