PDA

View Full Version : Forlan vs Torres last season

french_og
01-08-2007, 12:04 PM
When Fernando Torres decided to leave Atletico Madrid after another disappointing season, many fans took to the streets and protested against the decision of letting a player depart who had spent all his football life at the club.

"El Niño" had been at the Vicente Calderon since he was 11 and made his debut at 17. His qualities attracted the attention of all Europe's top clubs, but he never wanted to leave until this summer. In the years when he was wearing the famous red and white shirt, Atleti have won just one Segunda Division title in 2001/02, not enough for a "wonder kid".

But after the tears have dried, fans and club were left counting the cash and they realised it was not bad business. They have already signed Simao from Benfica, Luis Garcia from Liverpool, Christian Abbiati from Milan, Raul Garcia from Osasuna and Diego Forlan from Villarreal.

The latest news is that Arsenal's Jose Antonio Reyes will be making the short trip from the Bernabeu, although the fact he scored the two decisive goals to give Real the title will not be easy to forget for Atletico's passionate fans.

Of all the new signings, probably the smartest has been Diego Forlan. Since his arrival in La Liga, the Uruguayan striker has really hit form and in three seasons with the Yellow Submarines he scored 54 goals in 106 games, helping the small team near Valencia to get to a UEFA Champions League semi final.

During last season the ex-Manchester United player, despite his side's slow start, was a constant menace and while Torres netted four penalties (of eight taken) to get to his personal tally of 14, Forlan scored from the spot just once.

His shooting accuracy also was much better while Torres can boast five assist goals against one provided by Forlan.

Player Diego Forlan Fernando Torres
Appearances 36 36
Minutes On Pitch 3,019 3,097
Goal Attempts
Goals 19 14
Shots On Target 57 45
Shots Off Target 40 45
Shooting Accuracy 59% 50%
Chance Conversion 20% 16%
Passing
Goal Assists 1 5
Total Passes 842 754
Pass Completion % 75% 65%
Discipline
Fouls 21 71
Offside 25 30
Yellow Cards 2 4
Red Cards 0 1

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11096_2632459,00.html

Did anyone see Torres miss a penalty vs Portsmouth friday night? He also missed another 4 last season in cup competitions on top of 4 in the league!!

Numeric
01-08-2007, 12:20 PM
interesting read there, had a conversation with me Dad a few weeks back comparing Forlan and Torres, we didn't have all the stats to hand but i knew that Forlan had a better season last...

Diego is ace, Old Trafford Legend :cheese:

basslinejunkie
01-08-2007, 12:53 PM
yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

there is no doubt whos the better player.torres was upfront on his own,with his team creating very few chances.villareal are a good footballing team who pass an create cvhances,althletico were just poor.

kai
01-08-2007, 02:05 PM
I'd much rather have Forlan in my side than Torres personally.

You Liverpool fans just dont like him cos of what he did to ya few years back.... hahahahahaha... oooo how it made me chuckle.....

Numeric
01-08-2007, 02:47 PM
there is no doubt whos the better player.torres was upfront on his own,with his team creating very few chances.villareal are a good footballing team who pass an create cvhances,althletico were just poor.

fair point but Forlan is better :;

basslinejunkie
01-08-2007, 03:39 PM
blah.your just bitter coz he snubbed you numerous times. ;)

Spacehopper
01-08-2007, 08:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIJxfifwB2o
haha love this

Numeric
01-08-2007, 09:17 PM
i like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzMn-h-I6PI

278d7e64a374de26f==