PDA

View Full Version : Deep techno/Deep hard techno

Sunil
22-11-2003, 12:42 AM
Ok I love hard techno that doesn't hang about and goes bang bang bang, but I also like producers with a deeper edge, nice to break things up a bit. People like Johannes Heil, Byron Bogues, Tony Rios...The word "Deep" can mean different things to different people but in this case I'm referring to a style similar to that of the people I've mentioned. What do other people think, are there other similar producers that you like, and not just deep hard techno but deep techno in general?

matt303
22-11-2003, 02:38 PM
paddy just sent me a scion cd which is absolutly amazing. Not hard techno, but definatly deep, well worth checking out if you haven't got it already.

Tony
23-11-2003, 01:19 AM
i did expect you to quote different people there. those people would still be under 'hard' for me. i would think stewart walker, dan bell, aril brikha.
explain a little more mate.

Sunil
23-11-2003, 01:57 AM
i did expect you to quote different people there. those people would still be under 'hard' for me. i would think stewart walker, dan bell, aril brikha.
explain a little more mate.

Well the thread started as deep hard for me as I expected people here to be more fond of the deep hard stuff, meant to say Tony Rohr there not Tony Rios, although he is still deep "hard" i guess. Recent favourites of mine are Monolake, Shawn Rudiman and some of the stuff coming out on Dublin label D1. Walker and Bell I like, not so gone on Brikha but I do like a few things he's done.

The new Walker live excerpts thing on Tresor is really nice.

That Scion cd is great alright, it's all Basic Channel records put together by Scion using Ableton, Electricity have had them here over here and they were excellent, a great change from the norm.

A lot of deep techno I like I would not necessarily play out, I don't really wanna go listing off labels now either, i'd more like to see who's out there who listens to stuff other than hard techno or acid techno.

jake
23-11-2003, 04:03 AM
whats up with aril brikha and that absolute vodka song

paranoid666
23-11-2003, 09:43 AM
the new Monolake cd is amazing.Pity you cant get it on vinyl.

Sunil
24-11-2003, 12:20 AM

Yeah I know, can't see the logic behind this at all :eh:

Dustin Zahn
24-11-2003, 01:29 AM
I am really into the deeper, bangin' techno at the moment. Stuff that is really heavy but still has a nice late night feel. A classic that is a good example would be the original "Mole" by Joel Mull. If you check out the Ascend label at all, Quartz's B side tracks on Ascend 16 are also really cool for this kind of stuff. The Stewart Walker stuff that was mentioned is also tops, but a bit more minimal. I'm really into the harder kanzleramt artist stuff lately...the kinda synthy german techno that works best in the early morning hours.

justin schumacher
24-11-2003, 05:35 PM
all of the old inside stuff is on that deep, melodic tip.

i love everyone.

Dustin Zahn
24-11-2003, 05:39 PM
most definetely! Inside is one of my favorite labels.

Adverse
24-11-2003, 06:45 PM

Yeah I know, can't see the logic behind this at all :eh:

what an album.

Bughead
24-11-2003, 10:16 PM
Yeah like the inside stuff, have nearly all of the pressings, in fact most things that Mr Mull does....

Stuff on Starjlapp (sp) is great as well...

daviec
25-11-2003, 01:00 AM
Would you class Space DJz stuff as deep hard. I'm trying to place the kind of stuff your talking about and I'm thinking Space DJz, Data Rebel, and the likes :?:

Sunil
25-11-2003, 01:22 AM
Would you class Space DJz stuff as deep hard. I'm trying to place the kind of stuff your talking about and I'm thinking Space DJz, Data Rebel, and the likes :?:

Wouldn't really class the Space DJs in there although i guess they have done some stuff that is reasonably 'deep'. Data Rebel yes, that one "Infinition" on Fathom is a beauty.

Sunil
25-11-2003, 01:26 AM
I'm really into the harder kanzleramt artist stuff lately...the kinda synthy german techno that works best in the early morning hours.

Kowalski has really been leading the charge over the last year or two, I think he is looking at the bigger picture now though, some of his recent output has been a lot more accessible... not that it's a bad thing, still good music. Diego's last album had some killer stuff on it too, have mixed feelings on Heiko Laux's current album though...U-Turn is a wicked label, this is the stuff by Laux that i really lke.

Sunil
25-11-2003, 01:28 AM
Yeah like the inside stuff, have nearly all of the pressings, in fact most things that Mr Mull does....

Stuff on Starjlapp (sp) is great as well...

Starjlapp was a very interesting label. That Joel Mull track on Reel Musiq was one of the best percussive techno tracks of the year.

daviec
25-11-2003, 01:33 AM
Wouldn't really class the Space DJs in there although i guess they have done some stuff that is reasonably 'deep'. Data Rebel yes, that one "Infinition" on Fathom is a beauty.

Yep, I've got Infinition. I love it.

So could you suggest some more stuff like that I might like. The majority of the tracks I buy are straight up dance floor bangers, but I like to drop my set a bit in the middle before bringing it back up, and hence the Infinition track.

The Space DJz track I was thinking off was on Curved Pressings, and had Pounding Grooves on the other side. I liked how it drew me in, and then suddenly it was the end of the track and I wondered how long I'd been listening to it. Hypnotising :shock:

Sunil
25-11-2003, 01:48 AM
[quote=Sunil]

So could you suggest some more stuff like that I might like. The majority of the tracks I buy are straight up dance floor bangers, but I like to drop my set a bit in the middle before bringing it back up, and hence the Infinition track.
:

Hard to think of loads straight off, one I've been playing a bit recently is by a Detroit chick named Punisher, it's called "Wave Stalker" on Seismic.

Also check:

Rohr & Schoenemann-Subrosa EP (Hidden Agenda), or any of the recent stuff on Hidden Agenda- one of the best labels of the year imo.

Dustin Zahn
25-11-2003, 02:08 AM
I totally agree with you. Harder Heiko is cool in my book. :)

daviec
25-11-2003, 07:07 PM
Hard to think of loads straight off, one I've been playing a bit recently is by a Detroit chick named Punisher, it's called "Wave Stalker" on Seismic.

Also check:

Rohr & Schoenemann-Subrosa EP (Hidden Agenda), or any of the recent stuff on Hidden Agenda- one of the best labels of the year imo.

I just had a listen to "Wave Stalker" nice stuff. Couldn't find the Subrosa EP, but Starecase on Hidden Agenda was pretty cool.

Cheers ;)

daviec
25-11-2003, 07:11 PM
Just found the Sub Rosa EP at Tune Inn. Excellent stuff. :clap:

I like the synths and it would be cool to get lost in at a club. Nice.

scienceofuse
25-11-2003, 08:58 PM
"Wouldn't really class the Space DJs in there although i guess they have done some stuff that is reasonably 'deep'."

Bissmire has done some deep stuff with Bandulu, but it's definetly not "hard"...

Sunil
26-11-2003, 02:02 AM
"Wouldn't really class the Space DJs in there although i guess they have done some stuff that is reasonably 'deep'."

Bissmire has done some deep stuff with Bandulu, but it's definetly not "hard"...

i liked their last album, I wonder how it actually did ... played with them here in Dublin last year or maybe the year before, was one of the best live techno sets I've seen, Jesus Bissmire was going mental with his 909, they were brilliant!

278d7e64a374de26f==