PDA

View Full Version : wonky techno

G-BO
09-08-2007, 02:06 PM
personally i think its prob the best brand of techno around at the moment (imo)...wud this is be an opinion you would adhere to of trotally dismiss...so i ask the question....

is there too much of it or not enuff of it?

teknorich
09-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Ask Jerome Hill...

djfilthmonger
09-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Whats wonky techno name a few more artists

Si the Sigh
09-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Still after all these years, I don't understand the term wonky techno?

Post some Juno links to track that you'd class as wonky please.

Wasn't this just some phrase that Jerome had written on a vinyl divider in his shop, and the phrase has been coined?

Si the Sigh
09-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Surely, it's just techno innit?

rhythmtech
09-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Surely, it's just techno innit?

NO. it must be catagorized for the sake of humanity.

TechMouse
09-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Post some Juno links to track that you'd class as wonky please.
http://www.juno.co.uk/search/?header_search_for=m_13&q=miditonal&x=0&y=0&precision=any&column=all

Si the Sigh
09-08-2007, 03:31 PM
Cheers. Will check some of them out. :)

TechMouse
09-08-2007, 03:34 PM
If you're after some seriously wonky electronic music (not just Techno, all sorts) then check out Jerome's online shop...

Base Level (http://www.baselevel.co.uk/vinyl_fullCatalogue.aspx)

audioinjection
09-08-2007, 05:52 PM
manu kenton, cannibal cooking club, michael foreshaw

wrong
09-08-2007, 06:34 PM
oh dear... here we go again.. Basically.. its just a silly word meaning any type of techno music that's off kilter, slightly wrong, freestyle, going its own weird direction.. or all, some or none of the above.. but what do i know.. its just a word, means something different to everyone

where's crime? ;)

Resistor Records
09-08-2007, 06:45 PM
pitch modulation and ketamine, to put it simply
or more indepth, evolving from a scene around brighton, spurred on by tresor and berlin.. blah blah blah ...... early 90's ...... si begg cabbage boy ...... blah blah cristian vogel ....

blah blah

20 minute guitar solo

blah blah

.... ended up in rehab with his smack addicted girlfriend/lingerie model commiting suicide

ahem

sorry i tailed off there :S

rhythmtech
09-08-2007, 06:51 PM
pitch modulation and ketamine, to put it simply
or more indepth, evolving from a scene around brighton, spurred on by tresor and berlin.. blah blah blah ...... early 90's ...... si begg cabbage boy ...... blah blah cristian vogel ....

blah blah

20 minute guitar solo

blah blah

.... ended up in rehab with his smack addicted girlfriend/lingerie model commiting suicide

ahem

sorry i tailed off there :S

ahh.. jeromes life story :laughing:

wrong
09-08-2007, 06:58 PM
oy! hehe

clubsynthetic
09-08-2007, 08:38 PM
lol

tis as good as other shit. But samples keep one interested

conor256
09-08-2007, 09:43 PM
i think i have to agree with you g bo....... at the minute im really buzzin on the wonky stuff ........ and more and more of it seems to get played in my sets.......

its good also to see the reaction of the peeps on the dancefloor when you start getting all wonky on them......

crime
09-08-2007, 10:03 PM
evolving from a scene around brighton, spurred on by tresor and berlin.. blah blah blah ...... early 90's ...... si begg cabbage boy ...... blah blah cristian vogel ....

I was determined to leave this thread alone ;)

it's a shame that many self styled "wonky techno producers" don't acknowledge the above more, and much of what blatently gets described as that is way too hard, fast, and stupid sounding..

it's also a shame that many only notice something once it's nicely packaged up in a box for them, I mean, don't get me wrong, but good music is good music no?

if what some of you are saying is "isn't it great that there's loads of stuff around that doesn't sound like a stuck record with loads of fluff on the needle rammed through a compressor" then I'm with you, but please don't take my word as authority on anything ;)

Wrong, we never realised the evil we would reap in years to come, eh mate?

eyeswithoutaface
09-08-2007, 10:06 PM
haha i laughed out loud when i saw this thread and immediately thought of Mark exploding with rage in his bunker studio ;)

crime
09-08-2007, 10:14 PM
haha i laughed out loud when i saw this thread and immediately thought of Mark exploding with rage in his bunker studio ;)

No, I think I'm over it now, I'm amazed that a thread with the same name popped up yet again though.. the thing is to me, a lot of the stuff that myself or jerome play people wouldn't say was "wonky techno", which is why I find it pretty strange that we get described as such.. I mean jerome is the perpetrator of the term originally although he was never going round saying "I play wonky techno" as he was playing loads of different stuff, as he does now.. admittedly when it was being written on flyers for Test and Uglyfunk we might have got behind it as a fledgling scene, but the typical thing happened, same as with minimal stuff these days, loads of people tried to jump on hype, end result is a scene I personally didn't feel so comfortable being associated with when the quality of the music was falling in certain corners, and people were definitely not coming from the same influences as I was.. I mean maybe I'm getting old, but personally I find some of the stuff that gets classed as wonky sounds horrific.. it's like there was no understanding of "the funk".. it ended up like a plague in the east of germany, thus the reason why I don't enjoy playing there very much these days.... that's my take on it anyway....

crime
09-08-2007, 10:17 PM
http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/forum/search.php?searchid=28883

conor256
09-08-2007, 10:21 PM

me too...... i thought ' i hope mark hawkins doesnt see this post'.... ;)

crime
09-08-2007, 10:27 PM
no, I've been on the chill, it's all good in the hood ;)

The first link off that search makes interesting reading, I made my points there really, but as I say, I've chilled on it really....

xes
09-08-2007, 11:02 PM
I'm not even sure I know what "wonky techno" is. I went to an uglyfunk party about 2 years ago,apparently that was wonky techno. It didn't float my boat to be honest.

wrong
09-08-2007, 11:41 PM
yep mark.. as with any type of music, esp. techno, after a while of hearing it nonstop it'll get boring, and thats the same for any generic strand under the umbrella thats following a formula.. in my head 'wonky' could suggest anything, from old relief records to spanking new 3d!T stuff.. from DBX classic suggestive bleeps to raucus subhead records..

by the way everyone, you MUST check out jason leach from subheads label 'death to vinyl' particularly 001 and 003 (which shall be dropping in september).. for me thats the most exciting label around thats releasing new music with the sickest gurn inducing moments whilst keeing it dancefloor rave style... let me find some samples for you...

rhythmtech
10-08-2007, 01:24 AM
just checked that out... gotta say overall the ep aint my kinda thing but A1 is a top tune.. belter!!!

TechMouse
10-08-2007, 08:37 AM
by the way everyone, you MUST check out jason leach from subheads label 'death to vinyl' particularly 001
Absolutely. That's the best record I bought in the last year.

Blistering (http://www.baselevel.co.uk/vinyls/Death%20To%20Vinyl%201/dtv%201_3.mp3)

and 003 (which shall be dropping in september)
Ooooooh, save me a copy.

And if you've still got any copies of Crash Course 4 save that too, and I'll be coming round soon.

;)

wrong
10-08-2007, 11:47 AM
hmm.. was sure i'd posted a link.. maybe i deleted it when i edited out a longwinded prattle in my post..

to check out the death to vinyl label (especially the tracks 'big girls blouse' and 'bust rucket' go to: www.andvinyly.com click on death to vinyl records

I've also uploaded a taster from the third ep coming soon: www.dont-recordings.com/DTV03.mp3

wrong
10-08-2007, 11:48 AM
hey technouse... yep, i have copies of the kugelbox ep. here at the distribution/drop in centre =)

rhythmtech
10-08-2007, 11:54 AM
hmm.. was sure i'd posted a link.. maybe i deleted it when i edited out a longwinded prattle in my post..

to check out the death to vinyl label (especially the tracks 'big girls blouse' and 'bust rucket' go to: www.andvinyly.com (http://www.andvinyly.com) click on death to vinyl records

I've also uploaded a taster from the third ep coming soon: www.dont-recordings.com/DTV03.mp3 (http://www.dont-recordings.com/DTV03.mp3)

3 sounds awesome.. dark as fuk!

G-BO
10-08-2007, 03:08 PM
never knew i was openin up a can of worms there dudes, sorry :)

i look at the 'wonky' thing as a descriptive term for a particular array of records rather than some sort of way of life, which i doubt is the motivation behind most 'wonky' records...question im askin was.... is there too much of it, or not enuff of it, i wudnt get caught up with any particular 'buzz' genre for techno, its just nice to categorise sometimes

wrong
10-08-2007, 03:34 PM
@ G.bo... totally wasn't having a pop there mate and you're right.. its just one of many ways to describe stuff... so anyway.. check out the death to vinyl label... what sort of stuff have you been enjoying and i might be able to point you to others you'll enjoy..

crime
10-08-2007, 06:27 PM
question im askin was.... is there too much of it, or not enuff of it, i wudnt get caught up with any particular 'buzz' genre for techno, its just nice to categorise sometimes

don't worry, you're not opening any "can of worms" so to speak. in answer to your question, as with any "Genre" or "Category", once it's been defined, the really good stuff can often become obscured by a lot of not so good stuff, so personally IMO I would say there's too much stuff that I don't personally like which is described as "wonky" even though I've often been described as that in the sense of a Producer/live act... then again, I would say what I do is techno/electronic, and I don't like all techno or electronic music so that probably doesn't mean much ;)

One gem I would personally recommend which is probably often overlooked because it's not "wonky" is this:

http://www.discogs.com/release/297951

clubsynthetic
10-08-2007, 08:48 PM
too much music? your having a laff!

Little_Fella!
11-08-2007, 09:05 AM
Really good thread this... very informative:)

I remember coming across the sub-section in Dragon Discs next to Camden tube... that was where you were was it Jerome? I am a little confused as I visited Access All Areas kinda regularly during that time too..:scratch:

Was just the right description for setting a section for those tunes that were a bit wierd n that you sometimes didn't get at all...:exclaim:

I notice you guys have mentioned a few tracks to look out for... have you any other recommends, both classic and new because, as you say, it is difficult to sift and find sometimes...:cheese:

Was nice to have a quick chat at the party last Sat too there matey!:cool:

wrong
11-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Really good thread this... very informative:)

I remember coming across the sub-section in Dragon Discs next to Camden tube... that was where you were was it Jerome? I am a little confused as I visited Access All Areas kinda regularly during that time too..:scratch:

Was just the right description for setting a section for those tunes that were a bit wierd n that you sometimes didn't get at all...:exclaim:

I notice you guys have mentioned a few tracks to look out for... have you any other recommends, both classic and new because, as you say, it is difficult to sift and find sometimes...:cheese:

Was nice to have a quick chat at the party last Sat too there matey!:cool:

yep, i was the guy behind the counter at dragon disc (a lot of the time anyway) and nice to meet you too at the weekend..

here's a list of labels you could checkout that at one time or another have hit the nail right on it's bent head .. many aren't releasing any more so you have to hunt a bit, but a tune is a tune is a tune right? ;)

horspielmusik
accelerate
Peacefrog
sativae
mosquito
tresor
force inc
serial killers haircut
chan n mike's
uglyfunk
don't
victim
crime
monox
minimalistix
shed
coin operated
accelerate
scandinavia
invisible fish
b-rave
null
djax up beats
drought
cloned vinyl
predicaments
nodles discoteque
mecurachrome
neue heimat
nasty colour
relief
dance mania
frankie
panic bridge
death to vinyl
subhead
xtras
feis
kugelbox
miditonal
spectral
early subvoice
klangnet
zinch
mutter

cross referenced with artists like:

cristian vogel
jamie lidell
neil landstrumm
subhead
paul birken
jason leach
luke's anger
dj shufflemaster
TSR
quick and smart
tobias schmidt
michael forshaw
aeox
bill youngman
paul birken
3d!T
luke's anger
mark hawkins
bizz o.d.
dave tarrida
si begg
dj mahatma
norman
daniel benevente
audion
justin berkovi
daze maxim
DBX
esther ofei
x trak
older dj rush
dj ze mig-l
like a tim
cymbol
mem & drosan

or to some it up in one record:

http://www.discogs.com/release/21253

crime
11-08-2007, 03:00 PM
http://www.discogs.com/release/21253

Lidell was the bomb when he did techno, y'know, drop 2 records that were absolutely mindblowing, in the ideas, programming and productions, and then just go "right, bored of that, gonna do something else"..

it's like when john clees did Fawlty towers, y'know, 2 series and that's all you're getting, so it never went sour.

Little_Fella!
11-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Cheers for that... twill certainly keep me busy!!

I will have a good rumage around...:cool:

djfilthmonger
14-08-2007, 06:48 PM
is there a different time signature?

TechMouse
14-08-2007, 06:53 PM
is there a different time signature?
There are many different time signatures.

Most Techno is 4/4, though if there are odd time signatures to be found, the experimental guys are as likely as anyone.

clubsynthetic
14-08-2007, 08:50 PM
though if there are odd time signatures to be found, the experimental guys are as likely as anyone.

any examples?

ReakZ
16-08-2007, 09:31 AM
definitely not enough,well there are lots of wonky techno tracks but only few pleases my ears :) >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonky_techno

djfilthmonger
16-08-2007, 05:19 PM
There are many different time signatures.

Most Techno is 4/4, though if there are odd time signatures to be found, the experimental guys are as likely as anyone.

Does wonky techno have a different time signature?

TechMouse
16-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Does wonky techno have a different time signature?
Not definitively.

I'd say the vast majority of it is 4/4.

Sometimes with a lot of shuffle, others not.

You get the occasional all over the shop time signature, but it's rare.

TechMouse
16-08-2007, 05:24 PM
any examples?
Nope. :)

I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

detfella
16-08-2007, 09:32 PM
Lidell was the bomb when he did techno, y'know, drop 2 records that were absolutely mindblowing, in the ideas, programming and productions, and then just go "right, bored of that, gonna do something else"..

it's like when john clees did Fawlty towers, y'know, 2 series and that's all you're getting, so it never went sour.

did he work on some of the subhead tracks as well?

aeox all the way for me...love there punk techno vibe and their production always sounds so raw and griity just the way i like it!

DVNT
20-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Si Begg plays a lot of what I'd term wonky techno.

crime
20-08-2007, 03:21 PM
did he work on some of the subhead tracks as well?

He engineered at least 1 to 4 or 5 I believe, possibly up to about 10, although I'm not exactly sure. As Phil Subhead (Aka DJ Sueme) put it. "He was like some quiet student kid, with me and Jason freaking him out, screaming at him, more like this, more like that"

when you listen to 03 and 04 you can definitely hear a bit of Lidell in there, especially when compared to "Freakin the frame". I believe that the stuff from around this period (94-97) had a specific quality which hasn't really ever been matched.. I listen to my own stuff and believe it can't really compete to the original stuff from this era, although it's very difficult to be objective listening to your own stuff I think...

The Overfiend
20-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Old Dj Rush Maniac ep on Djax, sweet.

TechMouse
20-08-2007, 04:55 PM
although it's very difficult to be objective listening to your own stuff I think...
That's a universal truth if ever I heard one.

crime
21-08-2007, 10:09 AM
Old Dj Rush Maniac ep on Djax, sweet.

see, there's a classic from back in the day, that was "wonky" before the term was coined.. it all went wrong when people started trying to fit in with the "genre", to me the music started sounding too contrived.. maybe I'm repeating myself here though

Old rush was real quality though... I remember Magic Feet magazine raving about him around this time, and he wasn't that big at the time, saying "if he can spin like he produces, he's going to be massive"...

I'm currently into the kind of twisted end of minimal, there seems to be some stuff coming out right now which is reminicent of the old vogel and landstrumm stuff like the new False record on M_nus, Audion, Sleeparchive along with No-future related stuff like Vogel's "Sleep Debt" label & "Hand on the plow".

I had my phase of writing and playing harder music a few years back, but the deeper music always has the staying power, and having been originally into the kind of more minimal house smokescreen were playing years ago like relief and the chicago stuff on Djax I suppose it's natural fior me to drift back into stuff like this..

and this is the thing for me, I suppose the word Wonky can end up describing so much different stuff, in the same way that the word "techno" can mean so many different things to so many different people.. wonky house anyone?

module
23-08-2007, 02:52 AM
personally, i always found 'wonky' as jus a descriptive word for techno that was quite shuffly & had wacky bendy synths with jerky percussion.. i used it the way i use the words hard, deep, linear, stripped... not as a genre, but as a way of describing the feel..

for me, the zenith of this was artists liek Landstrumm, Vogel, Lidell, Begg, Schmidt, Berkovi, Subhead.. on labels such as Drought, Sativae, No Future, Tresor, Scandinavia, Penalty.. all back around 94 thru 98ish.. i always enjoyed it, but i found it pretty awkward to mix the way i started to go with my djing.. it jus didnt lend itself to 3 deckin or using extra drumachines or the like.. almost too individual to be used as dj tool for layering.. lots of it felt like individual tracks as opposed to components that would be used in a set to create sumthin new.. if ya follow me..

but,like anything, some clubs were jus playing it all night.. 5 hours of anything gets pretty dull when its the same vibe at the same pace..

theres a style of techno that is quite eccentric & spikey.. but to try & nail it into a box is stupid.. imo :)

DannyBlack
23-08-2007, 12:46 PM
i love wonky techno, its silly. should be called silly-tech

crime
23-08-2007, 01:19 PM
i love wonky techno, its silly. should be called silly-tech

EJECT, EJECT.....

DannyBlack
23-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Blast, I'm taking hits from left and right, EJECT, EJECT.....

lol, you misunderstand matey... i actually love wonky techno!
im listening to a set by 'meatsweeper' and i love it. silly=a good thing!

crime
23-08-2007, 01:31 PM
lol, you misunderstand matey... i actually love wonky techno!
im listening to a set by 'meatsweeper' and i love it. silly=a good thing!

this is precisely why I'm bailing out of the whole thing, there came a point where it just got too silly... gonna kill off my artist name, give up music for a year, and if I do start up again, no-one will make the connection for a while...

I'm personally pretty serious about my music..

what do you think this so-called "wonky techno" is anyway? I've never heard of what you're talking about...

wrong
23-08-2007, 01:34 PM
personally, i always found 'wonky' as jus a descriptive word for techno that was quite shuffly & had wacky bendy synths with jerky percussion.. i used it the way i use the words hard, deep, linear, stripped... not as a genre, but as a way of describing the feel..

for me, the zenith of this was artists liek Landstrumm, Vogel, Lidell, Begg, Schmidt, Berkovi, Subhead.. on labels such as Drought, Sativae, No Future, Tresor, Scandinavia, Penalty.. all back around 94 thru 98ish.. i always enjoyed it, but i found it pretty awkward to mix the way i started to go with my djing.. it jus didnt lend itself to 3 deckin or using extra drumachines or the like.. almost too individual to be used as dj tool for layering.. lots of it felt like individual tracks as opposed to components that would be used in a set to create sumthin new.. if ya follow me..

but,like anything, some clubs were jus playing it all night.. 5 hours of anything gets pretty dull when its the same vibe at the same pace..

theres a style of techno that is quite eccentric & spikey.. but to try & nail it into a box is stupid.. imo :)

Thats pretty much the crux of it .. only thing i have different views on is the need to layer stuff over stuff/3 decks/with drum machine... I guess thats a different thing again.. like wanting to create a slab of sound from different elements, as opposed to wanting to create a set/journey full of tracks that don't need to be layered cos they're already there.. Different philosophies... int techno great!

djfilthmonger
23-08-2007, 01:38 PM
"i love the shit that gathers between toes..."- DJ Filthmonger

Indeed i do ,Toe cheese

crime
23-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Thats pretty much the crux of it .. only thing i have different views on is the need to layer stuff over stuff/3 decks/with drum machine... I guess thats a different thing again.. like wanting to create a slab of sound from different elements, as opposed to wanting to create a set/journey full of tracks that don't need to be layered cos they're already there.. Different philosophies... int techno great!

you can always mix up loads of stuff, some stuff that layers up nicely on 3 decks & then drop the odd thing that doesn't...

early vogel ala absolute time etc you could spin with 3 decks anyhow.. goes nicely with studio 1 & basic channel...

DannyBlack
23-08-2007, 01:57 PM
this is precisely why I'm bailing out of the whole thing, there came a point where it just got too silly... gonna kill off my artist name, give up music for a year, and if I do start up again, no-one will make the connection for a while...

what do you think this so-called "wonky techno" is anyway? I've never heard of what you're talking about...

i never catogorised it as wonky, i just thought it was a hyper funky style of techno...

massplanck
23-08-2007, 02:16 PM
Vogel & Landstrumm & Mills & Rob Hood & Basic Channel & Dave Clarke were all just called techno back in the day.

Anyone who does a mix and calls it "detroit techno mix" "wonky techno mix vol 1" "schranz mix vol 2" needs a friendly dropkick to the head. If you cant call it good techno by itself youve missed the point (and probably overlooked 1000's of amazing records because they dont conform). If you want call yourself a techno fan you probably should start your mix with brian eno and finish up with nasenblunten "cunt face". Its easy to get excited when you hear a new 'genre' name: your thinking its gonna be just like 1990 all over again or something. > my advice is just keep hunting for records that can mesmesrize/rock/scare you and a crowd be they at 70 bpm or 150 bpm. And NEVER ever think that you have finally nailed your sound, keep searching

DannyBlack
23-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Vogel & Landstrumm & Mills & Rob Hood & Basic Channel & Dave Clarke were all just called techno back in the day.

Anyone who does a mix and calls it "detroit techno mix" "wonky techno mix vol 1" "schranz mix vol 2" needs a friendly dropkick to the head. If you cant call it good techno by itself youve missed the point (and probably overlooked 1000's of amazing records because they dont conform). If you want call yourself a techno fan you probably should start your mix with brian eno and finish up with nasenblunten "cunt face". Its easy to get excited when you hear a new 'genre' name: your thinking its gonna be just like 1990 all over again or something. > my advice is just keep hunting for records that can mesmesrize/rock/scare you and a crowd be they at 70 bpm or 150 bpm. And NEVER ever think that you have finally nailed your sound, keep searching

:BigThumbUp: :clap:

end of discussion.

wrong
23-08-2007, 03:06 PM
massplank for president!!

RDR
23-08-2007, 04:13 PM
Magic Feet

RIP tom magic feet

loved that fanzine.

PS - Wonky techno - owt with a lot of modulated synths!

LFO tastic!

crime
23-08-2007, 05:15 PM

word up, your first sentence there is pretty much what I've been trying to say for a long time.. and the rest of what you've said is bang on..

unfortunately most people seem to need little tags or dividers in record stores to make sure they don't stray away from their safe bet, sorry, but when people say they need a term like wonky techno, that's exactly what I think, why do you need these descriptive terms.. there's music you like & music you don't like, end of

@Danny Black..wtf? Don't understand WHERE you are trying to come from at all, but I'm not going to comment on it...

@ Dodgyedgy, Tom is still alive and well, and living in nottingham, just the magazine that went a long time ago....

DannyBlack
23-08-2007, 05:46 PM
language barrier perhaps?

judas_beast
23-08-2007, 06:39 PM
It's shit, I prefer minimal-glitched out-hard edge-psy-bass-core or something. Who gives a ****?

crime
24-08-2007, 06:54 AM
language barrier perhaps?

why, which language do you normally speak?

DannyBlack
24-08-2007, 09:32 AM
why, which language do you normally speak?

english, but i find trying to type my point across doesnt always work out to well for me...

my point about "wonky" techno is...

sod it, Judas Beast is right... i love all techno.

crime
24-08-2007, 11:34 AM
english, but i find trying to type my point across doesnt always work out to well for me...

my point about "wonky" techno is...

sod it, Judas Beast is right... i love all techno.

what kind of colour would you say red was if you had to classify it?

DannyBlack
24-08-2007, 11:47 AM
now your just being a Dick.

what i was saying is: techno is faaaaaantastic and what people are calling "wonky" is also faaaaaaaaantastic.

crime
24-08-2007, 11:57 AM
now your just being a Dick.

ROFLMAO

oh deary deary me....

DannyBlack
24-08-2007, 12:12 PM
ROFLMAO

oh deary deary me....

PM'd

Paul Zykotik
31-08-2007, 10:40 AM

I admit that I have a limited experience of what I would term wonky techno (although perhaps I won't anymore, given this discussion). I have stuff on labels like Don't, Miditonal, Kitty Corner, Neue Heimat, Horspielmusik...and what stood out most for me was that a lot of these tracks were fun. Party tracks. Is that necessarily a bad thing? To me it's important to have tunes that put a smile on your face and I think there are tunes from people like TSR, Edit (or 3D!T ?) etc. which manage to do this without being cheesy. As long as it doesn't get too ridiculous then there should be room for this style in amongst the more serious output IMO.

wrong
31-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Yep... thats the best kind of music for me,.... music with humour exploding from it without actually having to tell jokes.. TSR and 3d!T are masters of it... they've got those lolloping chundling beats locked down.. and @paul zykotik.. Horspielmusik was a great great label... really used to look forward to the next one all the time.. now they've slowed the release schedule and are releasing mainly minimal plinkyplonk which isn't of bad quality but it does leave a gaping hole in things..

judas_beast
01-09-2007, 06:22 PM
what kind of colour would you say red was if you had to classify it?

I think the usual classification for red is that of Primary Colour. If one wanted to be particularly anal, which one doesn't, one could say it is an Additive Primary Colour. Anyway, I digress.

:P

crime
02-09-2007, 12:37 PM
I admit that I have a limited experience of what I would term wonky techno (although perhaps I won't anymore, given this discussion). I have stuff on labels like Don't, Miditonal, Kitty Corner, Neue Heimat, Horspielmusik...and what stood out most for me was that a lot of these tracks were fun. Party tracks. Is that necessarily a bad thing? To me it's important to have tunes that put a smile on your face and I think there are tunes from people like TSR, Edit (or 3D!T ?) etc. which manage to do this without being cheesy. As long as it doesn't get too ridiculous then there should be room for this style in amongst the more serious output IMO.

it was a bit of a rhetorical question... quite funny to think that I wouldn't know anything about what anyone is talking about here...

I made the first record on Kitty Corner, would you not consider that "serious output"?

this is my problem with the wonky term, serious, quality output gets lumped in with stupid rubbish, and whilst sense of humour is cool, there is a point where it goes from being funny, to just plain dumb.. remember the geek at school that thought he was being funny, when at the end of the day he was coming across like a dick?
Noodles = good humour
Miditonal = http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39073000/jpg/_39073630_hunt_bbc203.jpg

Paul Zykotik
02-09-2007, 07:16 PM
it was a bit of a rhetorical question... quite funny to think that I wouldn't know anything about what anyone is talking about here...

My original post wasn't referring to your last statement about never having heard of what's being talked about, so I should have removed that sentence when I quoted you.

I made the first record on Kitty Corner, would you not consider that "serious output"?

Indeed. I was originally going to refer to it but didn't believe it relevant. I picked up the most recent release (004, the TSR one) and that was a far cry from your release, which I also have. Which, given the difference, is what made me curious as to what you thought about the less serious side and whether or not it had a place. From my perspective I enjoy both records equally and don't find one too chinstroky nor the other too silly.

this is my problem with the wonky term, serious, quality output gets lumped in with stupid rubbish, and whilst sense of humour is cool, there is a point where it goes from being funny, to just plain dumb.. remember the geek at school that thought he was being funny, when at the end of the day he was coming across like a dick?

For sure - it just read to me like you didn't believe there was room for fun music in techno. Of course it can go too far - look what happened to happy hardcore - but I still believe it's important that the party tunes get a look in. But a tune shouldn't have to be 'wonky' to necessarily be fun...

audioinjection
03-09-2007, 06:26 AM
wether it be wonky, hard, minimal, deep i love it all............... fuk all yall :P

DannyBlack
03-09-2007, 03:53 PM
minimal is shit, i hate this i hate that, im far to serious and a genius to agree that something is cool when it clearly isnt.

:laughing:

RDR
03-09-2007, 05:33 PM
@ Dodgyedgy, Tom is still alive and well, and living in nottingham, just the magazine that went a long time ago....

Who was it that got killed in that scene then.. i seem to remember somthing about it...

oh dear :laughing: glad to hear that tom is alive and well, and if he's reading this, thanks for the fanzine tom - a damn good read.

crime
03-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Who was it that got killed in that scene then.. i seem to remember somthing about it...

It was Vilf, who I would consider as the driving force behind the more technoey stuff in Magic Feet, who sadly passed away, almost ten years ago now. His writing was inspirational, and his reviews really switched me on to a lot of music..

@ Paul Zykotic: I'm happy that you didn't see my release as so much in the wonky thing, when I've been repeatedly dragged along with it... I just feel, what with people going out to make "Wonky Techno", that there isn't much innovation, and a whole load of imitation.. especially bad copies of Neil Landstrumm circa "Brown By August"

RDR
03-09-2007, 07:56 PM
It was Vilf, who I would consider as the driving force behind the more technoey stuff in Magic Feet, who sadly passed away, almost ten years ago now. His writing was inspirational, and his reviews really switched me on to a lot of music..

Ah yeah, shame these things happen - but thats life. we cant live forever.

278d7e64a374de26f==