PDA

View Full Version : The first ever techno record? 'Sharevari' Vs 'Alleys Of Your Mind'.

MARK ANXIOUS
12-08-2007, 06:54 AM
OK, I was responding to another post and started to reminisce about 'Alleys Of Your Mind' by Cybotron on Deep Space. This is what I have always believed was the first ever techno record.

But the more I looked into the history of this record, the more I kept stumbling across a record called 'Sharevari' by A Number Of Names. Some people are saying this record was released a few weeks before Cybotrons. Wow the internet is insane :)

Here's more info on Sharevari: http://www.discogs.com/release/41682

And Here's more info on Alleys Of Your Mind (for those that dont know): http://www.discogs.com/release/162067

Now, I've had a quick scan of a few places and I just can't find an audio link to this Sharevari release, so I can't really argue either way. Can anyone hook us up with a few links, cause I reckon this would make a really great conversation. :cheese:

xes
12-08-2007, 08:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhE-0IDpkiM

here you go,and you will piss your pantaloons at this video.

dirty_bass
12-08-2007, 03:01 PM
I would say the first techno record would be maybe Walking in the sky, by Nick Turner (of hawkwind)
Although Liasons Dangereuse did stuff earlier than that I think.

Maybe adrenalin by Throbbing Gristle was earlier.
I don`t know. I`ve not really been anal enough to check dates.

Techno music didn`t start in detroit anyway, they were just taking something already there and moving it into a dance based arena.
The word techno being related to beat based electronic music started with Juan atkins and co though.

I think you`d be very hard pressed to truly find the origins of techno though.

RDR
12-08-2007, 03:14 PM
I would say the first techno record would be maybe Walking in the sky, by Nick Turner (of hawkwind)
Although Liasons Dangereuse did stuff earlier than that I think.

Maybe adrenalin by Throbbing Gristle was earlier.
I don`t know. I`ve not really been anal enough to check dates.

Techno music didn`t start in detroit anyway, they were just taking something already there and moving it into a dance based arena.
The word techno being related to beat based electronic music started with Juan atkins and co though.

I think you`d be very hard pressed to truly find the origins of techno though.

Musique Concret?

Glass?

Stockhausen?

MARK ANXIOUS
12-08-2007, 05:27 PM
OK well perhaps I should have put the first ever 'Detroit techno' record. We can all sit here and debate all day on the music that influenced juan atkins and subsiquently was given the name techno, we have done on many occasions, but that's not what i want to ask here.

Ok well that was a very interesting video!!! Did ya see the guy on skates? Haha :laughing:

I think, if it's true this was released a few weeks b4 'Alleys', then this surely is the first ever Detroit techno record. That bassline is soooooooooo Detroit techno.....

Would love to know what other ppl think. :cool:

RDR
12-08-2007, 05:32 PM
OK well perhaps I should have put the first ever 'Detroit techno' record. We can all sit here and debate all day on the music that influenced juan atkins and subsiquently was given the name techno, we have done on many occasions, but that's not what i want to ask here.

Ok well that was a very interesting video!!! Did ya see the guy on skates? Haha :laughing:

I think, if it's true this was released a few weeks b4 'Alleys', then this surely is the first ever Detroit techno record. That bassline is soooooooooo Detroit techno.....

Would love to know what other ppl think. :cool:

Hi mark!

Check your PMs man

mattboyslim
12-08-2007, 05:51 PM
I'd agree with the comments on the discogs pages, saying that sharevari was a nod to the rich kids of detroit, and hence had little to do with what techno, supposedly, was about. so i'd be inclined to go with cybotron as the originator, but its all speculation isn't it really

dirty_bass
12-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Musique Concret?

Glass?

Stockhausen?

Exactly, you can go on and on.

The Overfiend
12-08-2007, 06:58 PM
That's probably the best video ever right next to Planet Rock by Afrika Bambatta, which I would consider a huge contributing factor to our genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h6pcqC6wrI

BRADLEE
12-08-2007, 07:08 PM
It's funny because I have a whole article about this one my home page....

http://www.iluvtekno.com/

BTW, getting the Clandestine Recordings page sorted and going to add the zeitgeist profile as well....

http://www.iluvtekno.com//Clandestine-Recordings/Clandestine-Recordings.html

eyeswithoutaface
12-08-2007, 08:46 PM
It's funny because I have a whole article about this one my home page....

http://www.iluvtekno.com/

BTW, getting the Clandestine Recordings page sorted and going to add the zeitgeist profile as well....

http://www.iluvtekno.com//Clandestine-Recordings/Clandestine-Recordings.html

whats happening with Clandestine, any ideas when the first one hits?

eyeswithoutaface
12-08-2007, 08:50 PM
and re this first ever techno thing, man, Mark, i think sometimes you just need to appreciate the fact that they are out instead of getting so anal man, you'l worry yourself sick. In the nicest possible way i think its pretty unimportant in my opinion, mainly because for me techno is about pushing forward and i personally feel that nostalgia in such big doses isnt too healthy on the whole, because as pointed out by Chris and Steve, you could just go back further and further until next thing we know we are crediting whoever made the first sine wave generator as being the inventor of sub bass or something equally anal

im just glad those particular records exist :)

The Overfiend
12-08-2007, 09:00 PM
whats happening with Clandestine, any ideas when the first one hits?

As soon as distro is sorted I'll be laying out the release schedule Scotty, didn't know you knew about it.

The Overfiend
12-08-2007, 09:01 PM
That Sharevari is a tune!

eyeswithoutaface
12-08-2007, 09:03 PM
As soon as distro is sorted I'll be laying out the release schedule Scotty, didn't know you knew about it.

yeah man, always interested to see what the rest of the blackout clan is up too

any samples of the first releases?

The Overfiend
12-08-2007, 09:18 PM
www.myspace.com/clandestinerecordings

Francisco Scaramanga
13-08-2007, 08:48 PM
I dont really see that it matters much, but after watching that VERY classy video clip - what a corker - I was intrigued enough to put sharevari into google, and according to the top hit http://www.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=2691 Sharevari was the first, although the article was for the Detroit Metrotimes, so possibly not the best source. The liner notes to my "Motor City Machine Music: An Exploration Of Cybotron" CD reckon that Alleys Of Your Mind was released just before, so who knows.

I dont really care, but in the process of being inconclusive, I've just learned a hell of a lot! And just to confuse things, it seems that the first tune Juan and Rick Davis did together, possibly even before they called themselves Cybotron (notes arent clear on this), was Cosmic Raindance, so while it wasnt the first record, it was maybe the first "techno" tune!

But as other people have pointed out, I think its pretty hard to pick one tune and say this one is responsible for all the others that followed. When it comes to techno, you'd probably have to go back to some guy beating two rocks together whilst looking at the stars or something...

eyeswithoutaface
13-08-2007, 09:26 PM
I dont really see that it matters much, but after watching that VERY classy video clip - what a corker - I was intrigued enough to put sharevari into google, and according to the top hit http://www.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=2691 Sharevari was the first, although the article was for the Detroit Metrotimes, so possibly not the best source. The liner notes to my "Motor City Machine Music: An Exploration Of Cybotron" CD reckon that Alleys Of Your Mind was released just before, so who knows.

I dont really care, but in the process of being inconclusive, I've just learned a hell of a lot! And just to confuse things, it seems that the first tune Juan and Rick Davis did together, possibly even before they called themselves Cybotron (notes arent clear on this), was Cosmic Raindance, so while it wasnt the first record, it was maybe the first "techno" tune!

But as other people have pointed out, I think its pretty hard to pick one tune and say this one is responsible for all the others that followed. When it comes to techno, you'd probably have to go back to some guy beating two rocks together whilst looking at the stars or something...

exactly, i know alot of people who are adamant that modern electronic music as a whole starts with Kraftwerk, being sampled for Planet Rock etc without knowing that Kraftwerk actually started as a VERY ambient/experimental group called Organisation, and they were, to be blunt, pretty terrible. My mate has some very rare early 12"s off them as Organisation and if they'd carried on in this vein before transforming into the Kraftwerk we know and love, then they wouldnt of recorded all the classic Kraftwerk material, the influence of their work wouldnt of been apparent, Planet Rock definately wouldnt of happened, the subsequent records that were influenced by Planet Rock wouldnt of happened.... etc etc etc, you see where im going?

something as big and important as techno, and electronic music as a whole, is too special to pinpoint down, and the more anal people get about things like this, in my opinion, the less special these things become. Thats certainly how i see it anyway. There's something undeniably amazing about having a certain blind naivety when it comes to music, especially music as timeless as Cybotron and the likes. I genuinely couldnt care when, where or how it came about. Im just eternally grateful that it has

The Overfiend
13-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Sharevari!

Gotta love homeboy with the roller skates and the white dude boogie.

278d7e64a374de26f==