http://blackboxtechno.co.uk/moglin.mp3

TechMouse
29-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Very nice, Jay.

Toughen up the drums and I'd play it.

Jay Pace
29-08-2007, 06:44 PM
thanks man!
Revised it a little, made drums more full and sparkly.

Same link as before:
http://blackboxtechno.co.uk/moglin.mp3

RDR
29-08-2007, 11:25 PM
Enjoyed the tonal content from the two sounds playing against each other. Some sweet filter work.

+1 on the tougher drums

also.

You need some pad sounds to fill it out a bit - sparse is good, but you need to offset the shorter sounds against a different type tonal structure.

No comment on the bass - lappy speakers

liked the rides, nice and crisp without being abbrasive.

Radic
30-08-2007, 10:33 AM
listenin now - this reminds me of something dave clarke would almost play or something umek used to make back in the day but cleaner. i think the main lead when the filter is opened right up or at it's brightest point its a bit too loud. perhaps a bit o distortion on the lead. not much but just a bit to roughen it up a little :)

Jay Pace
30-08-2007, 11:10 PM
Nice one Radic, good spot.

Cheers for listening peeps. Anymore comments?

rhythmtech
17-09-2007, 06:07 PM
love the synth, reminds me of early luke slater stuff.

i think the tune is quality but needs a little dirt. the hats sit a little too "nice".

i'd go back to it and give it a slightly more aggresive mix and pull that synth back a very slight touch as its overpowering a lot of the other elements.

dirty_bass
17-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Interesting.
didn`t really dig that synth at all.
Sounds too thin and digital.
I`d double it up with another synth or use another sound with more thickness and low mid presence as this is all mid and top and leaves the track very unbalanced.

All the other elements are fine production wise, but I find overall this seems to lack character, relying almost 100% on one single element.

I think the groove could be stronger, and the reliance on pure 909 here leaves everything very anonymous.

The main synth is too loud also.

Doesn`t contain enough of interest to hold my attention, and in my opinion the only way to get away with something this incredibly simple is to have absolutely stunning audio quality, both in choice of sounds and production.

Jay Pace
17-09-2007, 11:53 PM
hmmm...
the synth is analog and all the filtering is all analog as well. Which means I'm doing something horrible in the processing if it ends up sounding thin and digital... maybe being to savage in the EQs again.

Appreciate the input mate will definitely have a look at tweaking a few things.

Probably going to keep it simple though. Not done any mastering yet, should get the required polish sorted out then.

dirty_bass
18-09-2007, 12:14 AM
yeah, maybe you`ve been far too agressive with the eq`s.
Also the choice of eq will make a lot of difference.

Jay Pace
18-09-2007, 12:18 AM
I use the URS EQs, usually the 10 band one with the simple vertical sliders for each band. Nice EQs, still overdoing it though I think... need to sort my mixing ears :)

dirty_bass
18-09-2007, 12:23 AM
Well, that Eq is more appropriate for overal mix, rather than individual instruments. Try the 5 band parametric ERS jobby, it`s very musical.
Also, using analog equipment is no guarantee to getting a wide, wet, analogue sound.
Exciters, chorus etc will help.
When we meet up I can show you some good tricks for wetting up your synths which will help immensely when doing this kind of one-synth stuff.

Little_Fella!
18-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Well I aint goin' anywhere near the production side on this one... 'young ears' excuse!:)

I will say though that I found the riff to be very infectious, especially when it changes, and I do like the way your mind follows it n then focuses back on the kick... aaand the classic way you bring in the hats n rides is spot on

For me this is good jackin', House and Techno combination... which is where I think the simplicity is coming from...:cool:

Jay Pace
18-09-2007, 12:09 PM
Thanks mate! Glad you like

I like things fairly simple to be honest, probably puts more of a strain on production values being minimal, but thats definitely the sound I'm aiming for.

dirty_bass
18-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Thanks mate! Glad you like

I like things fairly simple to be honest, probably puts more of a strain on production values being minimal, but thats definitely the sound I'm aiming for.

Best thing about this kind of stuff is that it really comes alive on soundsystems.
It does place more of a strain on the production side of things, but when you get it right, even subtle changes in your lead sound will have huge effects on the dancefloor, as the sound being on it`s own has so much room and detail.

Jay Pace
19-09-2007, 12:13 AM
^^ thats definitely the goal...

Have had a rework of this, tried to rebalance it better.
Put the bass back in the synth, put a bit more grit and presence in the synth & high end. Bit more verb and chorus on the synth to widen it out.

Abandoned all attempts to master it, always sound slightly rubbish.

Updated link is the same if anyone's curious:
www.blackboxtechno.co.uk/moglin.mp3

Thanks loads for all feedback, been a good track to learn from....

BRADLEE
20-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Production and such sounds very good like always Jay. Personally not my flavor on the synth....but tis probably just my tastes.

judas_beast
23-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Only just listened to it, so I'm guessing this is the most recent version I'm hearing. I found the kick got a little swamped when the synth was at it's peak, and also the high hats were a little too sparkly and brittle for me, maybe pitch them down a tiny bit. Personal choice though innit. I'd definately add a bit more low end rumble to the kick. Just typing as I listen, I really like the way the synth line changes subtly, keeps things fresh and interesting. There seems to be a bass line/sound going on, which I reckon is too low in the mix.

I reckon with a bit of adjustment, this track could sit really well together and sound amazing.

My 2p's worth!

Jay Pace
24-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Cheers Brad & Judas

Yeah, synth was too loud so pulled that back a bit and the kick sits nicer now. And I think you're right, I've over cooked the highs a little. Tried something a bit different and routed a mono sum of all the highs through the filterbank with some overdrive and filtering to give them a bit more crunch. But think I might have overdone it a little.

Bass I'm not overly worried about as its something that will come out fine in the mastering, and I'm past trying to master stuff myself. Always ends up being a destructive process and I don't really know what I'm doing beyond eq'ing, compressing and invariably destroying the audio in the process. Trying to work towards having the tightest mixdown I can get, which should leave as much room as possible to the mastering dude to work with. Well, thats the plan anyway...

Thanks for your feedback peoples, always much appreciated.

278d7e64a374de26f==