PDA

View Full Version : Ableton & Plugins/VST

tekboi
07-09-2007, 07:56 AM
Hi guys..

I was interested to know what would be the best vst/plugins to use for bass (, synth and kicks??

I will be starting off with Ableton as my sequencer and a midi keyboard..

Hope I can get an idea on what would be the best vst or plugins to start with..

Thanks heaps :)

aallvor
07-09-2007, 08:21 AM
Just about any recently released soft synth will fit the bill, really. What's your budget?

Tyrisia
07-09-2007, 08:23 AM
For bass (and as an all round synth) I'd strongly recomment Novation's V Station. It sounds great and has a good set of effects too, including a great sounding distortion. It does a lot of my lead sounds as well, and it does them very well indeed.

If you want a synth that *can* be easy to use to get random techno-y sounds, just get this, it's a free synth called Crystal. It is a cpu hog, but you can freeze it in Ableton and flatten down to an audio clip instead.

Crystal Synth (http://www.greenoak.com/crystal/download.html)

Happy music making dude :)

aallvor
07-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Yeah, V-Station is great, very easy to use. Crystal is not tho, newb friendly, that is...

Tyrisia
07-09-2007, 08:48 AM
Yeah, V-Station is great, very easy to use. Crystal is not tho, newb friendly, that is...

Yeah, I can see what you mean, but you could just load two different sounds and press the breed button, and always come up with something different and usable.

aallvor
07-09-2007, 09:20 AM
True. But I think making your own sounds from scratch is more rewarding in the long run, though I'm not quite there yet myself...

Tyrisia
07-09-2007, 10:28 AM
True. But I think making your own sounds from scratch is more rewarding in the long run, though I'm not quite there yet myself...

There's definitely something to be said for makin your own, but even the best often take a shortcut and find a preset that has the right tonal qualities to start with, then customize after that. Finding out how to customize a preset is the best way to learn synthesis I reckon, if you can almost hear what you're after it's a great motivational factor.

Random sound generation can give some very interesting sounds that you wouldn't have thought of otherwise, and again you can customize after that. Treat random sound generation as a good inspirational tool, coz that's what it's good at.

aallvor
07-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Very true, def. agree about the merits of random sound generation. Much fun to be had with various freeware apps found on sonicspot.com :)

BloodStar
07-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Get some basic VA synth with 2 or 3 OSCs, filter and LFO. This should be enough to get you started. Will serve well for basses and synth sounds.
V-Station can be good or some freebie, Synth1 or something like that.

tekboi
13-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Apart from the bass VSTs, how about synth and kick VSTs?

force
13-09-2007, 11:54 AM
TBH, if you're using ableton, Operator is a wicked little synth.
Ive scared myself with it now and again!

tekboi
19-09-2007, 08:58 AM
I am now looking for a guitar VST/Plugin, mainly for bass/groove creation, can anyone recommend anything? Thanks heaps for the help everyone! :)

278d7e64a374de26f==