PDA

View Full Version : VST Effects

tekboi
13-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Hi guys,

I got a good idea on people's recommendations on both bass and synth VST instruments but now want to know what people's favourite VST effects are?
Filter, Reverb, etc.. Is Ableton's effects any good?

Along with your recommendations, was very intereseted in knowing what effect is used when melodies/synths/bass are being manipulated during a building part of track, it has been done in recent times quite a bit, hard to explain HAHA

Anyway, hope to hear your recommendations guys, you rock, thanks!

Jay Pace
13-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Sonalksis filter is nice and smooth
Antares tube gives good warm distortion
PSP Nitro is great for inspired glitchy effects
Timeworks reverb works well for me.

I usually try and get lots of movement in the synth/bass filter on its own (cutoff, resonance) then apply FX and filtering over exported WAV.

BloodStar
13-09-2007, 03:46 PM
From my experiences I would suggest you to check following plugins:
EQ - Kjaerhus, URS
Compressors - URS
Filter - Sonalksis, Fabfilter
Reverb - Wizoo
Tube/Distortion - IK Amplitube, Ohmicide
There are also decent plugins done by Voxengo.

As for the synths, depends on what you are after,. As Jay said you can try to twist Cutoff + resonance, but you can do more interesting things with clever use of LFOs and envelopes. Really it is hard to say as there is plenty and plenty of movements and little tricks which can make some movement on synth sounds.. No matter if automated by your hand or LFO.

dirty_bass
13-09-2007, 06:02 PM
My top stuff

URS - EQ and Compression
Voxengo - Compression
Sonalksis - EQ and Compression and filters
Waves - Reverb
Synapse Audio - Convolution reverb
Antares - Filters
u-he - Filters
PSP - Tape Saturation

ampassasinbirmingham
26-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Sonalksis filter is nice and smooth
Antares tube gives good warm distortion
PSP Nitro is great for inspired glitchy effects
Timeworks reverb works well for me.

I usually try and get lots of movement in the synth/bass filter on its own (cutoff, resonance) then apply FX and filtering over exported WAV.

the sonalksis filter is so simple and effective. Best filter ive ever used by far.

dirty_bass
26-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Try a filter called Minion
Really great, and very dirty if need be.

ampassasinbirmingham
26-09-2007, 06:10 PM
are the waves plugins all there cracked up to be? What about the oxford plugins? I'm moving back to the pc platform so i will have to try some of these you guys have mentioned.

also- DB- read your techno tutorial on the way home on the bus, you give the basics so very simply. Sometimes you need to be told the obvious. Loved the diagram also, really makes you think about puting elements in there proper place to fill the spectrum. Would you recomend using a plugin to see what frequencies different sounds are hitting? Can you recomend one?

dirty_bass
26-09-2007, 08:03 PM
There`s a great free frequency analyser called Inspector
Look it up on kvr vst forum

Waves are severely overrated in my opinion. All marketing really.
I rarely use them except maybe the reverb. There is much much better stuff out there.

Oxford plug ins are pure gold if you are really really sweet on pro EQ and know how to use it.

RDR
26-09-2007, 09:44 PM
There`s a great free frequency analyser called Inspector
Look it up on kvr vst forum

Waves are severely overrated in my opinion. All marketing really.
I rarely use them except maybe the reverb. There is much much better stuff out there.

Oxford plug ins are pure gold if you are really really sweet on pro EQ and know how to use it.

+1 for the oxford stuff

little side note here... i only use plugins that are native to the sequencer im writing in or ones i bought... too many times ive come back after a change of machine or O.S. and realised i had to load in the plugin.. a poor state to be in.

FILTERZ
03-10-2007, 09:27 AM
My top stuff

URS - EQ and Compression
Voxengo - Compression
Sonalksis - EQ and Compression and filters
Waves - Reverb
Synapse Audio - Convolution reverb
Antares - Filters
u-he - Filters
PSP - Tape Saturation

Antares filters rock , the one with four filters all with delay and a graphic representation in different colours is absolutely mind boggling , have programmed some kick arse presets for this plug - i dont need many more effects than this just a nice verb and some compression , you can do practically any delay and filter based effect with it .

Lag
03-10-2007, 10:54 AM
oxford stuff.
really tight, really realiable.

stjohn
03-10-2007, 12:19 PM
yes +1 on the oxford eq... ive never heard an eq sound so natural even on big cuts...

the only thing thats annoying me is that i cna only get the LP and HP filters to cutoff a limited amount either way...

so say i want to push a sub really low..i can only go as far as 1000 Hz...

and only 400 HZ in a HP filter...

anyone know a workaround on this thatr doesnt involve loads of annoying large Q notch filters??

278d7e64a374de26f==