PDA

View Full Version : minimal minimal everywhere minimal.

anx
14-09-2007, 04:57 PM
no disrespect to it or anything....i do enjoy a good minimal track here and there.

but....it seems that its all the regular techno guys are making right now (aside from electro house). i go to sort through the record shops and mp3 shops and surf the techno section.....everything that is considered techno now is Minimal.....and when i listen to the minimal section, that music is even more minimal than the minimal they now call techno....

i've always been a dj who is diverse in when it comes to techno....but it seems like im going to have to start getting into ketamine to enjoy most of the stuff that is coming out lately. and if i look for some hard techno all i find really is REALLY HARD schranz....where is the happy medium techno i love so much?

eyeswithoutaface
14-09-2007, 05:24 PM
yet another whinging post

if you dont like minimal, why waste your time moaning about it?

There is tons of non-minimal techno out there if you just look

i really dont understand post's like this at all, i mean what were you hoping to achieve with this post? what did you want to say that hasnt been said about every subgenre within techno a million times before?

Sinister_Minister
14-09-2007, 05:31 PM

if you dont like minimal, why waste your time moaning about it??? This place is the Victor Meldrew central at the moment.

There is tons of non-minimal techno out there if you got off your lazy ass and had a look instead of whinging

sorry but thats how it is, i learnt myself years ago there's no point moaning about something you dont like, so why waste your energy?

Why don't you take your own advice then and quit whining about people whining about minimal because there's always going to be whiners? I don't know what's worse...a whiner or a self-righteous cock.

Minimal is what it is. Mathmatical, barren, pretty souless. It's only started to bug me as finds its way into house music. House on the soulful end, and minimal on the clinical end, The two just don't go together very well.

eyeswithoutaface
14-09-2007, 05:47 PM
no self-righteousness at all

just a low tolerance of people who seemingly dont have a great a grasp on their own tastes as they seem to think they do.

to quote "ive always been a dj who is diverse when it comes to techno" - shouldnt have any trouble finding stuff you want then surely???

just another rant about a genre that this person doesnt even like

like i say, i dont understand it, so why not try explaining the point of threads like this, what the aim of the thread etc etc instead of just jumping on the offensive because somebody said something which actually has a nip of truth in it?

no need to start calling people names, that'l only get you banned in the end mate, no need for it so chill yourself out

massplanck
14-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Rob Hood is minimal. Whats wrong with rob hood? Oh thats right not that type of minimal.

Just buy all the great old records you havent got, if you cant find new stuff. Old tresor, old luke slater, old rob hood (minimal), basic channel(minimal), whatever. All the great middle stuff is out there new & old . Good records are never handed on a plate to you , you have to hunt them down.

dirty_bass
14-09-2007, 05:49 PM

i really dont understand post's like this at all, i mean what were you hoping to achieve with this post? what did you want to say that hasnt been said about every subgenre within techno a million times before?

Bah your only saying that cos even your underpants are minimal these days.
:devil:

anx
14-09-2007, 05:49 PM
i never said i dont like minimal. im just wondering why thats all everyone seems to be making/playing/listening to?

i guess there isnt much point to this post you are right but you dont need to be such a jerk about it

gunjack
14-09-2007, 05:53 PM
maurizio/carlcraig/ianpooley/etc old mnml is good

eyeswithoutaface
14-09-2007, 05:55 PM
i never said i dont like minimal. im just wondering why thats all everyone seems to be making?

i guess there isnt much point to this post you are right but you dont need to be such a jerk about it

try explaining the point of such randomly moaning threads and maybe you wont get people who are involved in the scene your berating giving you their opinions. It's the same for every subgenre, music bobs along in waves, one year everyone is making hard techno, the next everyone will be making tribal etc and it just repeats and repeats, that's how it goes. Those who truely love and have a commitement to making said style will always shine through and be there when those who jump the wagon are onto their next thing

eyeswithoutaface
14-09-2007, 05:57 PM
Rob Hood is minimal. Whats wrong with rob hood? Oh thats right not that type of minimal.

Just buy all the great old records you havent got, if you cant find new stuff. Old tresor, old luke slater, old rob hood (minimal), basic channel(minimal), whatever. All the great middle stuff is out there new & old . Good records are never handed on a plate to you , you have to hunt them down.

exactly, where would the fun be in that if everything you wanted was handed to you on a plate? Looking for the records you want is always more fun, and usually throws up a few nice surprises that you didnt know you were looking for in the first place

loopdon
14-09-2007, 07:14 PM
no disrespect to it or anything....i do enjoy a good minimal track here and there.

but....it seems that its all the regular techno guys are making right now (aside from electro house). i go to sort through the record shops and mp3 shops and surf the techno section.....everything that is considered techno now is Minimal.....and when i listen to the minimal section, that music is even more minimal than the minimal they now call techno....

i've always been a dj who is diverse in when it comes to techno....but it seems like im going to have to start getting into ketamine to enjoy most of the stuff that is coming out lately. and if i look for some hard techno all i find really is REALLY HARD schranz....where is the happy medium techno i love so much?

I know what you mean. I am trying to produce stuff that would fit into that description. This trend won't go on forever and his brought us some great music already. This trend, as any other, will have to be beaten to death before it comes to a halt.

loopdon
14-09-2007, 07:15 PM
try explaining the point of such randomly moaning threads and maybe you wont get people who are involved in the scene your berating giving you their opinions. It's the same for every subgenre, music bobs along in waves, one year everyone is making hard techno, the next everyone will be making tribal etc and it just repeats and repeats, that's how it goes. Those who truely love and have a commitement to making said style will always shine through and be there when those who jump the wagon are onto their next thing

So true, mate, so true.

koma
14-09-2007, 07:41 PM
todays techno scene is like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gP4Ih58Yzg

everyone's making minimal moves except for that one happy guy behind the keyboard hehe

Sinister_Minister
14-09-2007, 10:51 PM
No one called anyone names. Reread my post. It's the internet dude, wtf do you expect? People talk trite shit redundantly.

I like minimal sometimes, it serves a purpose. I wouldn't listen to it ever if I didn't then it wouldn't matter to me. All musical genres come in cycles, soon loopy hard tech will be the "in with the new and there'll be a new Guns N Roses type outfit shooting heroin in their necks and punching out prostitutes. Personally I'll take anything but Fall Out Boy:)

Peace

echodek
15-09-2007, 12:27 PM
are we arguing about arguing about the relative merits of minimal and "minimal"? john cage would be so proud of us!

RDR
15-09-2007, 02:40 PM
are we arguing about arguing about the relative merits of minimal and "minimal"? john cage would be so proud of us!

Nah dont be silly, cage hated minimal and nothingness towards the end of his life.

RDR
15-09-2007, 02:41 PM
No one called anyone names. Reread my post. It's the internet dude, wtf do you expect? People talk trite shit redundantly.

I like minimal sometimes, it serves a purpose. I wouldn't listen to it ever if I didn't then it wouldn't matter to me. All musical genres come in cycles, soon loopy hard tech will be the "in with the new and there'll be a new Guns N Roses type outfit shooting heroin in their necks and punching out prostitutes. Personally I'll take anything but Fall Out Boy:)

Peace

Thats awful

And a complete waste of a punch.

tots
16-09-2007, 01:58 PM

i've always been a dj who is diverse in when it comes to techno....but it seems like im going to have to start getting into ketamine to enjoy most of the stuff that is coming out lately. and if i look for some hard techno all i find really is REALLY HARD schranz....where is the happy medium techno i love so much?My god someone who is as lost as me at the moment dont get me wrong i always find what im looking for but as well as djing i like clubbing and a good rocking night is hard to find elswhere thes days!!Dude i saw adam beyer at priveledge(thinking i might find a bit of purist)but to say i was disapointed is an understatement all the music he played sounded the same massive build up in the break and then when it kicks in it crashes back down to some sort of leaky tap dripping at the side of a microphone sound.

I was gonna leave but i thought id wait and give piccoto the benefit of the doubt,big mistake it was an absolute bag of shit but as long as these people dance to this stuff they'll keep producing it,dont get me wrong minimal in the build up of a set is good as long as you take it in to some nice groovy compressed synthy sort of stuff to get the set rocking but these guys take no higher than when they start,i did however catch jeff mills a few days earliar and had one of the best nights ive had in years pure detroit purveyed through three decks two cdjs and a drum machine that he slammed the hell out of!!!!Id look towards holland if i was you bas mooy,jeroen librigts,christian wunsch the list goes on,Glen wilson jon nuccle and mike humphries are also churning out good stuff still too imo........

tots
16-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Check this link and look at the poster you may find something to your liking there anx

www.myspace.com/joy_tots

A.P.
16-09-2007, 05:12 PM

everyone's making minimal moves except for that one happy guy behind the keyboard hehe

Wicked reply there mate...haha!
That guy with the synth sure does rock!

dirty_bass
17-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Wicked reply there mate...haha!
That guy with the synth sure does rock!

HAHAHAHAHA
that rules.
**** minimal, next year everyone will be doing that.

Jay Pace
17-09-2007, 12:17 AM
I saw cave last night and he beefed it out.
As did james ruskin when we had him over in March.
As did paul langley when we had him over in May

Green velvet was ****ing good when i saw him at exit. Derrick May rocked it at lost.
And not minimal at all.

So if these guys are chunking out it out, what are they playing? Where are they getting their records from?

Some old, some new, same as always.

i like minimal. its a new type of record to put in the box alongside the others.
Unless you methodically collected every techno and house record released over the last two decades i reckon there's more than a few gems out there waiting to be discovered.

Get digging! Supposedly what djing is all about. Your selection. Can't rely on a "now thats what I call techno album" to deliver the goods in one tidy package each year.

Check out what ruskin and siegling are playing. There's plenty about, just got to keep looking.

davethedrummer
17-09-2007, 01:44 PM

that's someones dad that is!

DannyBlack
17-09-2007, 01:59 PM
theres some good and some bad. just like ever genre.

if it makes me get down and sweaty then i like it, if it dont, then i dont.

:dance:

Ritzi Lee
18-09-2007, 08:07 PM
nag nag nag.
techno labels just need to work harder to sell their records themselves at the shops, then letting it done by a distributor. Do more promotion to the retailers and shops, and keep pushing those sounds.

eyeswithoutaface
18-09-2007, 08:09 PM
nag nag nag.
techno labels just need to work harder to sell their records themselves at the shops

spot on mate

too many people take this scene for granted and seem to think it owes them something

MARK ANXIOUS
22-09-2007, 09:22 AM
there is definitely a lack of middle ground in techno at the minute. you have shit loads of minimal and shit loads of schranz (which i love - it's all music). but once you really start looking, really searching, you can find it - just not at the rate that it has been. damn, anything that's in fashion is going to easy to find for sure, but what really makes me happy is that the middle stuff i play has been searched for through the hills - a real great feeling when i play it :)

just get on those internet sites mate and find that music. that's what djing is all about :)

audioinjection
24-09-2007, 03:55 PM
haha now i see complaints about not enough of the middle ground techno, but back when it was being released more werent people complaining about how it all sounded the same?? geezus

Split-Personality
24-09-2007, 04:34 PM
I guess such an international and diverse art is always gonna be open to taste, interpretation and trends..............

"Pays ya moneys makes ya choice".

I only got into Minimal relatively recently, was hard not to when the Beach Parties in Barcelona are so good during Sonar but I digress. Either like it or hate it you cant argue that it hasnt made an impression on a lot of the Genres out there today. Thats not to say thats necessarily a good or bad thing.

dirty_bass
24-09-2007, 11:04 PM
Why doesn`t everyone stop band wagon jumping and following trends.
Mix it all up.
Techno is now swinging into the same rigmarole as all other fashion/advertising lead crap.
People need to be told what is in and out, they don`t seem to have the courage to just do stuff on their own merit.

The Overfiend
25-09-2007, 12:33 AM
There are some of us who are actively doing our part to continue on the sound which is what you would consider the middle ground.
Anx I feel your pain, and I even agree with you, but I hate to say at the end of the day the only thing you could do is seek further into the past or look harder for the artists that are doing it now.

Damaged Trax
Concrete Djz
Hardsignal
Blackout Audio
Glenn Wilson
Mike Humphries and Mastertraxx
most of the labels on Triple Vision
The F.A.T. Collective
Jon Nuccle
Cave
Zeitgeist is coming to hurt you all
Kay D. Smith and Jon Connor are still cooking up treats as well.
It's out there but to be honest some of the purveyors of it are waning because they think people don't want it anymore.

Microdot
09-10-2007, 02:07 AM

ffs, give it a rest son.

eyeswithoutaface
09-10-2007, 10:02 AM
ffs, give it a rest son.

pot calling the kettle black im afraid mate, that radiohead thread was hilarious ;)

eyeswithoutaface
09-10-2007, 10:13 AM
There are some of us who are actively doing our part to continue on the sound which is what you would consider the middle ground.
Anx I feel your pain, and I even agree with you, but I hate to say at the end of the day the only thing you could do is seek further into the past or look harder for the artists that are doing it now.

Damaged Trax
Concrete Djz
Hardsignal
Blackout Audio
Glenn Wilson
The F.A.T. Collective
Jon Nuccle
Cave
It's out there but to be honest some of the purveyors of it are waning because they think people don't want it anymore.

i havent heard any releases from Jon in a couple of years now, but Kay D is still smashing it. I still listen to "Heatflash" regulary, best thing he's done i think. I have to agree though i do think older techno has the edge on the whole, classic labels like Red Seal i personally find you just dont get that edge with the newer hard tech labels, i mean i havent heard anything as damaging as "Nervehammer (forshaw remix)" or anything like the "Wolfman Jack" remix ep in years now, truely hard, thundering techno

your right Tony there is still alot of people doing the middle ground/hard techno sound i dont know what people are worried about. If anything there are just as many, if not more, people doing hard techno. It's all about perception and how hard people are willing to look for what they want, some people just want everything laid out on a plate for them whilst some are happy to get digging in and look, which is when you find most gems.

Craig_Lea
09-10-2007, 12:38 PM
just get on those internet sites mate and find that music. that's what djing is all about :)

Not that I actually DJ, but I couldn't agree more.
It's all about the quest :)

RDR
09-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Not that I actually DJ, but I couldn't agree more.
It's all about the quest :)

The Art of digging..

hip hop djs been at this for years.. and they've got a LOT more to get through - and they love it.

I find it a bit strange that some people believe there to BE no variety - crikey, there's thousands of different artists out there. And a lot of it is catlogued. in alphabetical order. in genre order too on some of the bigger dowload sites.

there's never been a better time for techno!

djfilthmonger
09-10-2007, 01:07 PM
I cant listen to too much minimal thats why I stay away from it, But for christ sake theres lots of great techno out there old and new, Hard and funky and elctric and insane...
got to love techno what a genre spoilt for choice with sub genres and still people give out that theres only one kind around, mix it all up and get nice sound for your self, nothing worse than restricting your self when ur in to music or a dj r general musician, the more influcenes the more unique sound you will develop

Craig_Lea
10-10-2007, 02:14 PM
The Art of digging..

hip hop djs been at this for years.. and they've got a LOT more to get through - and they love it.

I find it a bit strange that some people believe there to BE no variety - crikey, there's thousands of different artists out there. And a lot of it is catlogued. in alphabetical order. in genre order too on some of the bigger dowload sites.

there's never been a better time for techno!

theres lots of great techno out there old and new, Hard and funky and elctric and insane...

I've been grabbing downloads over the last few months, and mainly from Juno, but I've found some great stuff.
Lunch times at work generally involve downloading as many clips as possible, usually about 40 or 50.
Listening to them all whilst working, deleting the chaff, and then isolating the best ones.
Mind you, I've been caught out by Juno's method of using one segment of a minute and a half or so a few times.
When the preview clips show the track to be a builder, but when you buy it, after the breakdown it does naff all and is as flat as a pancake.
Gits.
Anyone got any recommendations for download sites that give you a better representation of the tracks?

Microdot
10-10-2007, 04:59 PM
pot calling the kettle black im afraid mate, that radiohead thread was hilarious ;)

in what way is it the pot calling the kettle black son?

in that thread, I was voicing concerns about the actions of millionaire popstars making it harder for independent artists to make a living (which if you found hilararious you must either be very, very easily amused or as thick as pigshit).
you, on the other hand, were continually whinging at someone who was concerned that there's a lack of good hard techno around and that everyone is jumping on the minimal bandwagon, despite the fact they'd explained themselves in a civilised and coherant way.

like I said, give it a rest.
try to treat your fellow forum users with a little more respect and not go on the offensive every time someone posts an opinion that's different to yours.

Microdot
10-10-2007, 05:05 PM

Damaged Trax
Concrete Djz
Hardsignal
Blackout Audio
Glenn Wilson
The F.A.T. Collective
Jon Nuccle
Cave

word. ppl loving the Red Seal sound need to keep an eye out for Player 029, dropping this November, a thunderous 4 tracker produced by Nuccle and Ignition Technician.

dirty_bass
10-10-2007, 05:50 PM
word. ppl loving the Red Seal sound need to keep an eye out for Player 029, dropping this November, a thunderous 4 tracker produced by Nuccle and Ignition Technician.

Word to that. would be lovely to see some more Nuccle business.

We don`t need more hard techno, there`s enough amateur hard techno being churned out now by the one-year-on-fruity-and-now-I`m-due-a-release-squad now that all the decent producers are making minimal.
What we need is quality producers making qaulity techno techno, and the harder edge of it.
I think less releases but more quality stuff is needed to take techno out of the rather embarassing poor average standard it has reached.

Overall the production standards of techno seem to be the worst in dance music, when taken as an average. This never used to be so

Mucky Beats
10-10-2007, 06:24 PM
i as many im sure have changed my opinion on the minmal thing... at first i was like wow all this minimal bollocks seemed to infect the world and the big producers shifted to it ...i thought due to the money and fame in it and i was also pissed off with everyother tune in juno being some minimal number or another! but then with time i have seen the minimal thing for what it is a form of techno that has its place in the sceane and is bringing people over to techno in a big way... also having bought a bit and mixed it out have seen how the well produced stuff is really quite cool and can be "banginig" in its own way.... shit 6 months ago i would of laughed at someone saying this.... truth is those who love harder stuf i.e. people like me will always do so and that will never change... just as techno people we should embrace new forms and not push them away as in truth we are gettin smaller by doing so and if we embrace as the rest of mainland europe seems to be we can be bigger and have a true diverse sound. shit i could be wrong just minimal has been round since day one just now it is expanding and taking a lead form and now after much thought i feel its good not bad.

one thing as with all music there is bad djs and rubbish tunes... and this is very true in the minimal world ...but also is it not in the harder scene?

Tiptoe
10-10-2007, 06:58 PM
i told you i'd convert you to gay mullet techno mackie.

Microdot
10-10-2007, 07:18 PM
i as many im sure have changed my opinion on the minmal thing... at first i was like wow all this minimal bollocks seemed to infect the world and the big producers shifted to it ...i thought due to the money and fame in it and i was also pissed off with everyother tune in juno being some minimal number or another! but then with time i have seen the minimal thing for what it is a form of techno that has its place in the sceane and is bringing people over to techno in a big way... also having bought a bit and mixed it out have seen how the well produced stuff is really quite cool and can be "banginig" in its own way.... shit 6 months ago i would of laughed at someone saying this.... truth is those who love harder stuf i.e. people like me will always do so and that will never change... just as techno people we should embrace new forms and not push them away as in truth we are gettin smaller by doing so and if we embrace as the rest of mainland europe seems to be we can be bigger and have a true diverse sound. shit i could be wrong just minimal has been round since day one just now it is expanding and taking a lead form and now after much thought i feel its good not bad.

one thing as with all music there is bad djs and rubbish tunes... and this is very true in the minimal world ...but also is it not in the harder scene?

word. quality minimal techno has been around for years. DJ Hell's totmacher, substance abuse, traintrax etc by FUSE, alien phreak by DBX, moveable parts ep and countless other trax by Rob Hood.
personally, I've no problem with minimal techno at all, been playing it in me sets since 91.
I can see the reasoning behind the bpms coming down too.
doesn't stop Richie Hawtin being a bellend though.

eyeswithoutaface
10-10-2007, 08:24 PM
in what way is it the pot calling the kettle black son?

in that thread, I was voicing concerns about the actions of millionaire popstars making it harder for independent artists to make a living (which if you found hilararious you must either be very, very easily amused or as thick as pigshit).
you, on the other hand, were continually whinging at someone who was concerned that there's a lack of good hard techno around and that everyone is jumping on the minimal bandwagon, despite the fact they'd explained themselves in a civilised and coherant way.

like I said, give it a rest.
try to treat your fellow forum users with a little more respect and not go on the offensive every time someone posts an opinion that's different to yours.

the thread didnt concern you whatsoever until you decided to tell me to give it a rest, there was no continuing whinging at someone, i replied to the thread with my opinion and a discussion formed from there, a really good one at that. Nothing more nothing less, so errr yeah, try giving it a rest yourself.

i would expect anyone to stick up for a genre they are involved in on here be it minimal, hard techno, schranz etc etc and to give their opinion in whatever manner they wish.

and i dont go on the offensive at all everytime someone posts an opinion that's different to mine, im really not sure where you got that from, but yeah anyways

here's your dummy back and back on topic.......

Microdot
10-10-2007, 09:50 PM

yeah right.
not offensive at all.

btw, sorry for posting in a thread that has "nothing to do with me". I'll be sure to keep out of the Techno Discussion forum in future.

wenna
10-10-2007, 09:59 PM
you have no face you are just eyes hahaha

eyeswithoutaface
10-10-2007, 10:01 PM
yeah right.
not offensive at all.

btw, sorry for posting in a thread that has "nothing to do with me". I'll be sure to keep out of the Techno Discussion forum in future.

im glad you know how to quote, but its a shame you dont know what context to quote in. That wasnt what you claimed below, which was "continous moaning at someone", that was the FIRST thing i said to the guy, which technically makes it the first actual interaction me and that guy have had, thus rendering your "continous moaning at someone" point null and void.

and you dont have to apologise to me mate, you can post here no worries, the more the merrier :)

The Overfiend
10-10-2007, 10:02 PM
We don`t need more hard techno, there`s enough amateur hard techno being churned out now by the one-year-on-fruity-and-now-I`m-due-a-release-squad now that all the decent producers are making minimal.
What we need is quality producers making qaulity techno techno, and the harder edge of it.
I think less releases but more quality stuff is needed to take techno out of the rather embarassing poor average standard it has reached.

Overall the production standards of techno seem to be the worst in dance music, when taken as an average. This never used to be so

Who do you mean? For example.

eyeswithoutaface
10-10-2007, 10:02 PM
you have no face you are just eyes hahaha

hence the name ;)

wenna
10-10-2007, 10:03 PM
if you need to sneeze, what then........

eyeswithoutaface
10-10-2007, 10:05 PM
i dont have bodily functions, remember, im just eyes :)

module
11-10-2007, 03:07 AM
Word to that. would be lovely to see some more Nuccle business.

maybe your standards have risen ?

Mucky Beats
11-10-2007, 12:15 PM
i told you i'd convert you to gay mullet techno mackie.

HEHEHE NEVER

Mucky Beats
11-10-2007, 12:16 PM
word. quality minimal techno has been around for years. DJ Hell's totmacher, substance abuse, traintrax etc by FUSE, alien phreak by DBX, moveable parts ep and countless other trax by Rob Hood.
personally, I've no problem with minimal techno at all, been playing it in me sets since 91.
I can see the reasoning behind the bpms coming down too.
doesn't stop Richie Hawtin being a bellend though.

TOO RIGHT....AND YES SVEN AND RICHIE ARE FAR TO FRUITY FOR THERE OWN GOOD HAHAHA.....ANYONE SEEN THAT STRANGE UNICORN CARTOON PEOPLE SAY THEY DID??

Mucky Beats
11-10-2007, 12:17 PM
i dont have bodily functions, remember, im just eyes :)

GUNNA POKE THEM OUT ONE OF THESE DAYS YA BUGGER HAHAHA

eyeswithoutaface
11-10-2007, 12:23 PM
:)

dirty_bass
11-10-2007, 01:23 PM
maybe your standards have risen ?

Not really, back when I was a DJ, I went for good tunes, and always picked the better sounding stuff.

Look back.

Cold Dust
Wilson
Skoog
Henrik B
Henze
Laidback Luke
Beyer
Misjah
Hertz
Bacto
etc

Tuff mid range techno, but the production rocked. It was pro.
All these guys put out stuff that production wise was comparable to house which has always had more money behind it, and a lot of big studio productions.
It meant techno had a standard, on average, that was pretty good. The guys making it, regardless of big money support or not, really did know their stuff, and kept the bar at a good level.

Now we have all the big hitters (well, most, some still fly the flag), doing the minimal thing. Nothing wrong with that.
But in the mid range sound of techno, we have labels run by people who haven`t yet reached the above standard, getting tracks in by people way below that standard.

The quality control is shot to ****.

Too many people making music "in machine" with software.
Now I`m an advocate of software, but you need some knowledge of the old school, phat, hardware sound, to be able to reproduce it with the new tech.
A lot of these guys have been bashing on whatever DAW they picked up last year, and end up with a substandard product because they have never experienced, or had the knowledge (or spent the time to find out) of how things sounded when put through proper gear.

I still listen to everything.

Drum and bass, tired or not, still has a good standard. Now they have the dubplate culture, and a good healthy pecking order where the shit that doesn`t hit the mark gets cussed down real quick, so things remain fairly constant with them.

House, still at a high standard, there`s still a lot of pro studio stuff coming out keeping the bar high for everyone to shoot for.

Dubstep is almost all about the quality by it`s nature, so no probs there.

Breaks again, now very closely intertwined with house still has a good average standard.

Hip hop/R&B etc obviously more money behind it, so there`s a lot of serious studio money keeping average standards up.

Now techno, apart from minimal, where standards are kept pretty high on average, is falling down into the amateur lands of gabba, hardcore etc. Which as a more rough and ready music has always been a bit of a mess overall.

I mean, production isn`t everything, obviously.
1st and foremost, you have to make a damn good tune.
But with so many people now having access to the means to make music, the bar should be getting higher, with the want to separate yourself from the quagmire (a-giggety-giggety-giggety), by spitting and shining till the cows come home.

I think there`s still good pro stuff coming out in the mid range techno area, Audio Assault for example, seem to have good quality control, but overall the average in this area of techno has dropped.

Rick rubin has a good philosophy on quality control. I think his avergae is from every artist, when they present him with music, he will take 1 in 10 tracks from them on average, then tell them to go back and make more music.

Anyway, that`s my 10 pence worth.
Gimme a sec to put on my rain hat before you shit on it.

Split-Personality
12-10-2007, 09:12 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^Good quality early morning read with me frosted shreddies reet there!

Split-Personality
12-10-2007, 09:24 AM
Especially the point about the inherent attitude in DnB lending itself to quality control, I use to be well into my DnB. But when I hear it now I cant help but chuckle to myself thinking it got cheesy and none of the "rude-boyz" noticed.

Also interesing how music production software coupled with the instant exchange platform that is the internet gives rise to the birth and indeed the discovery of new talent, but brings with it waves of poor quality unimaginitive music.

So pro's and con's as with all things in life, gentlemen its out there if your willing to wade through it.

DannyBlack
12-10-2007, 03:41 PM
I cant listen to too much minimal thats why I stay away from it, But for christ sake theres lots of great techno out there old and new, Hard and funky and elctric and insane...
got to love techno what a genre spoilt for choice with sub genres and still people give out that theres only one kind around, mix it all up and get nice sound for your self, nothing worse than restricting your self when ur in to music or a dj r general musician, the more influcenes the more unique sound you will develop

agreed on that. now, quit your bitchin' the lot of you.

Tik Tok
12-10-2007, 05:50 PM
theres still some good stuff out there, junos got a tonne of it but i find that 'this weeks new releases' takes up the whole top 50 charts so theres really no point in looking in that section, the best way is to find a few good producers your into and browse your around away there collabs, labels, remixes etc, and then do the same with others..

278d7e64a374de26f==