PDA

View Full Version : Slow Moody Melodic Number

Siege
15-09-2007, 08:50 AM
Had this sat on my harddrive for ages....wrote it a couple of year back.
Wont be everybodys cup of tea but just thought id stick it up anyway..
Nothing like my usual stuff..apart from the synthwork maybe?
Plods along around 120bpm so its not something i wrote specificley for the floor
it was just one of those tunes i wrote for the hell of it...just for listening purposes i guess? anywayzz....wondering whether or not its worth going back to for a makeover?
It needs mixing down again as my productions come on loads since then..
Dont like the kick..that needs sorting out and it could probably do with having some other elements in there..editwork, etc?
I do think the synthwork as a really strong feel to it...slightly dark,moody with a sort of sorrowful vibe,which is the main reason why im thinking of going back to it. I might just take out all the synthwork ,speed it up to 135 and use for my usual style??

Anybody any ideas?
Feedback,comments,abuse and name calling all more than welcome.
cheers

http://213.129.73.14/members/my_tracks/audio/DT_ACF3B1E9335086.mp3

Jay Pace
15-09-2007, 03:12 PM
This is great stuff mate. Production is lovely, some great ideas and sounds in the this track.

The housey/disco loop underneath works great, kinda expected the track to go in a different direction though. Its got a real funk to it - shuffly highs, good offbeat bass. A really good groove. The surging bass synth sounds fantastic as well.

I'm not into the melancholy verbs sounds, thought they sounded out of place on a track like this. But this is personal, I could hear a funky daft punky number grooving away in this, and so the verby sounds kinda got in the way of the mood of the track.

All depends on what your aiming for, but if you took them away and put in some more funky elements you'd have a great tech house track, sort of stuff darren emerson used to play. Funky, bassy and driving.

So my 2 cents would be bin all the sad synths, speed it up by 5bpm and chuck some more funky stuff at it, and I'd happily play it :)

eyeswithoutaface
15-09-2007, 04:51 PM
hey mate checked this out now im back in the studio

yeah im really into this, straight away it reminded me of older, "druggy" prog house if you know what i mean, really get's your drawn into a groove.

Production wise i thought it was pretty good, nice space to the sounds and a nice depth, although i personally would slide in more sub in there, maybe shuffle the bass around a little and bring it up more in the mix, but i think if it had a sub complimenting it then you'd probably be fine. The kick wasnt that bad i thought mate it suits the track

If you can go back to the actual project file i'd do the mix down again like you say your production will have improved by now anyway and maybe pull the bass up like i said. Apart from that i couldnt find anything wrong with it mate, really solidly produced track with a nice techy prog vibe too it

nice one lad

BRADLEE
15-09-2007, 08:28 PM
I quite like it Cal. F*cking love those eerie pads...Whole bit sounds proper to me. I recon everyone has their own idea of what their tunes should sound like as an end result. I'd have to say do whatever your gut tells you...really nice mellow track.

loopdon
15-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Nice nice tunage here. I agree this has a druggy vibe and a sweet (proggy) vibe. The production is cool. Tres cool. Get this out!

Siege
15-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Thanks for listening guys.

@ jay...thanks for the feedback mate..i hear ya regarding the direction ive took it...like you said, could easily be worked into a more funky vibe,but i do like the synths and mood....I could still strip it back without the synths,and take the route you mentioned,as well as keeping this version..... just do it as an alternate mix.

@scott....yeah,i kinda thought it sounded a bit thin downstairs...il have a tweak on that bass etc...try fit some sub in there.
Glad ur liking it mate...appreciate the feedback.
cheers.

Siege
15-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Thanks Brad...yeah,i like those pads too,kinda haunting.
Cheers loopdon...glad ur feeling that druggy vibe!...was probably under the influence when i wrote it.

p_brane
15-09-2007, 09:06 PM
good stuff, all gels together nicely.

i like the way the pads sound against that constant stab.
the percussion is mint also, real plodder fodder:)
i defo think it needs more sub though.
:)

Siege
17-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks mate......im working on the bottom. :)

dirty_bass
17-09-2007, 11:04 PM
Nice.
I`d just deal with the composition as it is rather than start speeding it up and changing it all etc.
the elements all work together and if you start ****ing with that you might destroy it.

I like the overall feel, very spaceous, austere, bleak. Very nice.
Maybe just strengthen the groove by adding a nice percussive counterpoint to the kick, as the space between the kicks doesn`t quite roll comfortably.

As you said, just use your better production knowledge to clean this up, add more weight to some of the sounds (there is a rather glaring gap in the mid range that nothing really seems to settle in) and use some nicer verbs and this is good to go as a good house/prog/tech house chuggernaught.

Tyrisia
18-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Great tune Cal, you already know I think it's cool. From a production point of view, I'd just plonk a sub in there to beef out the bottom end, and then make sure it's a full mix, and I reckon leave it at that. Sure, make a remix if you wanna, but I reckon finish this first leavin it at this speed etc, it's nearly there as is.

Great stuff, and kudos for tryin new styles etc.

Little_Fella!
22-09-2007, 03:13 AM
I think you'll be glad you pulled this one out of the archives to be honest...:;

Great catchy, mornful synth work.. very nice at 4mins ish... this tune carries perfectly at this tempo... heh 'chuggernaught' is just right..:cheese:

Lay your year or so extra experience in production on this and it will be spot on... what is noticable too is that, at 6.30mins and at that tempo it does manage to have you thinkin', 'oh... has it finished already..?'...

I think it's good to delve into different tempo's as it stimulates your creative side n keeps you fresh for your regular tempo stuff...

Nice work that...:cool:

Siege
23-09-2007, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the feedback little fella:)

judas_beast
23-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Not really my style, but sounds very ''nice''. All the elements seem to sit together well. For me, and maybe its because I prefer harder stuff, the track seems a little bit bare in places, doesn't quite ''chug'' along enough. Maybe the sub could be warmed up a bit too? I can imagine a bevy of scantily clad beauties shaking there toned posteriors to this!

278d7e64a374de26f==