PDA

View Full Version : do you think its wrong to have a few cracked vst's

ronlaboa
19-09-2007, 05:25 PM
ok i own quite a bit of old and new hardware and a lot of vsts and sequencers cubase,reason, ableton etc which i bought
but im now very skint and love the urs eqs which i admit are dodgy they work in every sequencer except my new cubase 4 so im now im saving to buy them.

does anyone who owns cubase 4 and urs eqs have any probs

loopdon
19-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Fair play, mate. I wouldn't get the URS if i was you. You can get VERY good quality for free/far less. I think with URS the interface and feel contribute a lot of the perception of quality. When technical tests were done on k-v-r they were nothing special. Of course you know what works for you, though.

Jay Pace
21-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Its definitely wrong.

But thats not to say people don't do it.

Like loopdon says, there's a wealth of top quality free stuff out there.

FILTERZ
21-09-2007, 01:12 PM
I use cracked and stolen software all the time my tunes sound more gangsta that way .

lol

dirty_bass
21-09-2007, 05:26 PM
Ignoring technical tests, the URS stuff is about sound.
And it really is good, to me it`s the sweetest EQ in software apart from the Sony Oxford stuff.
They are very musical plug ins, I just had to buy them in the end.
But yes, it is wrong, but being skint and having blind opportunity never helps.

As a rule, if I do find myself using anything naughty for a period of time where it becomes indespencable in the studio, then I buy it.

loopdon
21-09-2007, 05:51 PM
Totally.

judas_beast
22-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Yes its wrong, but thats what makes it so right!

RDR
22-09-2007, 11:10 PM
Yes its wrong, but thats what makes it so right!

black vs white

learning vs ignorance

theft vs support

i make no value judgements, i have been guilty of offences.

judas_beast
23-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Look, I'd love to pay for everything I use, but I can't. Simply no way I can afford it. If I am ever lucky enough to make a living from music, thereby profiting from occasionally using cracked VST's, then I would of course pay for them. At the moment, it's not an option. And I don't intend to stop making music, solely because I can't afford to!

RDR
23-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Look, I'd love to pay for everything I use, but I can't. Simply no way I can afford it. If I am ever lucky enough to make a living from music, thereby profiting from occasionally using cracked VST's, then I would of course pay for them. At the moment, it's not an option. And I don't intend to stop making music, solely because I can't afford to!

Dont misunderstand chief... i just cant make judgements about right and wrong in this case.

loopdon
24-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Not saying i adhere to this rule at any given time but today - perhaps apart from a host - there are plenty of superb offerings for everything, be it synths or effects.

Using warez is one thing - a decision - but no one is forced to by a lack of money nowadays. I just don't buy that. You absolutely don't need warez to produce music that can compete. On the other hand using warezed stuff won't make your stuff sound fat'n'polished, automatically.

It comes down to sticking with something and maybe - maybe - talent.

dirty_bass
24-09-2007, 11:09 PM
Not saying i adhere to this rule at any given time but today - perhaps apart from a host - there are plenty of superb offerings for everything, be it synths or effects.

Using warez is one thing - a decision - but no one is forced to by a lack of money nowadays. I just don't buy that. You absolutely don't need warez to produce music that can compete. On the other hand using warezed stuff won't make your stuff sound fat'n'polished, automatically.

It comes down to sticking with something and maybe - maybe - talent.

Well, good point.
A lot of people get stuck into ripping the latest warez and plugs, just because they are new.

I find spending time and really learning the stuff you like, minimising what you have so you have just a few options per type, and then REALLY learning how to get the best from it, will get you the best sound.

I`m still using some stuff that`s from the real early days of vst, and it fecking rules, especially as I know it so well.

MARK ANXIOUS
25-09-2007, 10:27 AM
sometimes i think if it wasnnt for cracked vst's i wouldn't have been able to find out which ones i preferred and now use all the time. but then again, if there wasnt, there would probably be alot more discussion about each plugin on the net and real scientific comparisons so that ppl would be able to shell out their cash in total confidence. but then again too, they would probably be just as expensive as they used to be.

when i first discovered cracked plugs i was like a kid in a sweet shop but like that very same kid, i ended up fat, overweight and never getting anything of substance done. all my time spent surfing the web for the latest program versions, the latest releases, oh it all got a bit silly after a while.

now i stick with and have bought what i like. the only time i download a try before you buy is when computer music highly recommends it or i see an unusual amount of ppl on this forum or kvr babbling on about it.

dont get caught in the 'newest' plug trap. if it was me doing this over again i think i would spend a sunday surfing kvr and here and make a list of the essentials that are recommended for each job, d/l the cracks or trials, find out ya faves and then buy. this process alone will make sure you learn the art much quicker than wasting time filling up ya hard drive.

good luck!

278d7e64a374de26f==