PDA

View Full Version : a classic myth....

eyeswithoutaface
19-09-2007, 10:26 PM
was in my mates studio today, and i noticed a big black sock hanging out of one of his monitors, seems he's employed the age old trick of putting a sock in the back of each monitor, and swears it helps with the bass response, i for one am a little miffed as to how, and why

can anyone enlighten me on this method? i've heard people discuss this in the past but never took any notice really, always sounded an odd thing to do

Tyrisia
19-09-2007, 10:40 PM
ah, the age old sock myth, hmmmm

haven't a clue for sure.

I can only summise that the sock would stop the air escaping, thus causing the woofer to compress the air a bit more, adding somehow to the taughtness of the sound.

I dunno, I failed A level physics, probably best ask someone else :)

rhythmtech
20-09-2007, 12:15 AM
i used to do this on my alesis on steve db's advice.

at that time i was using m1 mk2 in an untreated room. the m1 is well known for having a heavy bottom end which resulted in my mixes being quite light lower down. basically stuffing the sub ports took a lot of bass out of what i was hearing which in turn forced me to push the bass harder, resulting in a more realistic mix.. so its not actually a myth :)

Barely Human
20-09-2007, 07:59 AM
i used to do this on my alesis on steve db's advice.

at that time i was using m1 mk2 in an untreated room. the m1 is well known for having a heavy bottom end which resulted in my mixes being quite light lower down. basically stuffing the sub ports took a lot of bass out of what i was hearing which in turn forced me to push the bass harder, resulting in a more realistic mix.. so its not actually a myth :)

Thats the usual case ive heard for it. It deppends on the mons and the room acoustics on whether its a good idea to do.

RDR
20-09-2007, 09:51 AM
Reminds me of the tissue paper over the tweeter cones trick i used to have to do on my NS10's

Hated things that they are.

at the time i loved them, then i realised they were better for pop music. So i bought bigger cones.

LOL

Jay Pace
20-09-2007, 01:56 PM
The alesis mk2s sounded much better if you plugged the ports. The bass was much tighter, and there was less of it. Without plugging the ports you got a resonant one note bass noise.

Plug the ports and the air being pushed around by the driver can't escape.

You need to port bigger speaker boxes or the pressures inside will push the box to bits. Kind of like if you get a folded horn bass bin, the driver channels the pressure wave throught the horn and it produces bass like a trumpet.

Its a loud but inaccurate sound, and necessary on high powered speakers to stop huge pressures building up inside the box. If there are no ports the driver will compress the air in the box as it pushes in, then cause a vacuum as it pushes out. This puts strain on the box, and the forces in the box could prevent the driver from moving freely as it would be fighting against compressed air and the forces of a vacuum.

This jibberish may or may not make sense. I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself well.

RDR
20-09-2007, 02:57 PM
The alesis mk2s sounded much better if you plugged the ports. The bass was much tighter, and there was less of it. Without plugging the ports you got a resonant one note bass noise.

Plug the ports and the air being pushed around by the driver can't escape.

You need to port bigger speaker boxes or the pressures inside will push the box to bits. Kind of like if you get a folded horn bass bin, the driver channels the pressure wave throught the horn and it produces bass like a trumpet.

Its a loud but inaccurate sound, and necessary on high powered speakers to stop huge pressures building up inside the box. If there are no ports the driver will compress the air in the box as it pushes in, then cause a vacuum as it pushes out. This puts strain on the box, and the forces in the box could prevent the driver from moving freely as it would be fighting against compressed air and the forces of a vacuum.

This jibberish may or may not make sense. I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself well.

In essence..

its hard to compress a compressd environment :laughing: otherwise your penis explodes.

278d7e64a374de26f==