PDA

View Full Version : Poor performance with SX 2?

John Ferraris
28-11-2003, 03:24 PM
Hi, I'm experiencing a few problems with Cubase SX 2 and was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem.

I'm using an Athlon 1800 with 640mb RAM and was previously using SX 1. Ive kinda shot myself in the foot as my computer is in a poor state and needs reformatting but I have to much audio to backup on CD :evil: . When I installed SX2 and opened one of my projects my computer grinds to a halt with the VST performance meter constantly in red for both CPU and HD activity even when the sequencer is idle.

Basically, has anyone tried producing with SX2 on a similarly spec'd PC? If it's the spec, I'll just get a bit more RAM and a faster CPU but if it's the state of my PC I'll but a new harddisk and backup and do a clean install of windows XP.

Any light shed on the matter is a bonus

Thanks

MARKEG
30-11-2003, 08:02 AM
have you experimented with the usual device mananger settings? ie asio drivers, buffer settings etc etc....

baptismo
30-11-2003, 09:29 AM
Sounds like some sort of quirk within cubase, to get sx 1 workin successfully i had to download about 5 different cracks and work through them to find the one which would work best with my machine.

Its gotta be havin a twiddle with the asio, but i'd also have a look for some different cracks as a backup.

I havent tried sx 2 yet, and was thinking about it but not so sure now!

If anyone else has tried it it'd be great to hear your opinions of it! :)

John Ferraris
01-12-2003, 11:45 AM
Hmm... I've done the standard asio test n used the directx driver.I can't install the specific ASIO drivers for my soundcard as the only ones out are unofficial drivers that disable recording from the input of the soundcard. Performance with SX1 was fine using the directsX ASIO driver bar the expected performance hit of having to many plug-ins running.

I doubt that the step up from SX1 n SX2 is so great that my machine simply can't handle it so i'll try a few more cracks n see what works.

Cheers for the input n if I find anything relevant/useful i'll keep it posted

DJZeMig_L
17-12-2003, 10:59 PM
Actually some avalaible disk space and a defragged drive does a world of difference..

Sx 2 is a little harder on the CPU... I would use the unnoficial asio drivers for sequencing and then go back 2 the Dx one when ever I'd need 2 record somethin.

U need a proper soundcard m8... Maybe just as much as u need more ram and proc. power!!

Z

Dan.T.
22-12-2003, 02:30 PM
Im running a 1.3ghz duron and 512 DDR and its running pretty ok...

its starting to lag a bit when i have effects on every chanell but its not to bad...

have u used the "freeze" tool?? it will free up loads of your resorces.

DJZeMig_L
22-12-2003, 11:53 PM
which sound card do u have..?

Z

John Ferraris
08-01-2004, 10:38 PM
i have an original sundblaster live. its a piece of bum fluff so that could be (a rather big) issue. im saving up a bit of cash for an upgrade (P4 instead of athlon hopefully) n the soundcard upgrade will come in good time. im just gonna stick with sx1 for now but cheers for all the posts, its been a bit of an eyopener, hope its helped clear a few issues up for other people as well

278d7e64a374de26f==