PDA

View Full Version : a very sad time.

DannyBlack
03-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Waterford, once upon a time used to be a bustling city of electronica. Right from house to Techno. we had the likes of musiklab, Re:publik, The forum and Ten.
every weekend there was something going on. we had Simms, Umek, Felix da mouse mat, Marco Remus, Rhythm tech, sarah FAB, Rachel rackitt to name but a mear few.
The nights were clammy, sweaty, funky, hard, driving, funny, ridiculous and just down right spectacular.

Something happened.

Musiklab had a falling out with the owner of the forum and then disbanded.
Ten, closed down amidst rumours of the cops making deals around waterford to stop electronic music.

At least we all shrugged them off as rumours, turns out theres something in these "rumours".

We did of course have one beacon, one last safe haven for our beats The Bowerey, a tight little venue a couple of cozy rooms in them. and a tidy little sound system.

Today we have been informed that the Bowerey has been sold, was sold on sunday.

so thats it folks, thats all she wrote. No more venues.
im in shock and extremely pissed off with peoples attitude towards 'Dance' music. I find utterly discriminatory.

F*CK EM!

stjohn
03-10-2007, 02:27 PM
i know i heard yesterday... i was meant to be playing a label tour down there Nov 17th!!!

i was really looking forward to that too...

our gurning plans will have to go on hold Daniel San

DannyBlack
03-10-2007, 03:06 PM
for the time being mate yeah, we should meet up in cork for some sesh or other. some bummer tho aint it. tis enough to make a man crack up.

FILTERZ
03-10-2007, 03:27 PM
got a great bike run though

dan the acid man
03-10-2007, 07:00 PM
sorry to hear that matey, we've lost a few decent venues here in sheffield too, at the minute there's no techno nights that i know about, the trouble is a few people have tried, but they don't really get supported unless it's acid/london techno based.

the last good night i went to was the black dog gig last year, since then i've not heard about anything decent here

Martin Dust
03-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Headcharge is back for some squat techno on 31st but there's **** all else

module
03-10-2007, 08:24 PM
this same type of collapse happened in belfast a good few years back.. never recovered..

its a horrible feelin watching a vibrant scene jus disintigrate in front of you.. try as you might to stop it happen, it jus keeps fallin away..

stick with it danny

eyeswithoutaface
03-10-2007, 08:42 PM
the scene in Liverpool has dwindled somewhat to be fair, Voodoo seems to be in hibernation now and a few of the other local nights have stopped now, not for lack of venues either that's for sure, but they dont have much of a chance what with even the local big hitters booking people like Surgeon and Regis, which is a bit of a shame, but that's business i guess

Frank Dogshit
03-10-2007, 10:20 PM
the scene in Liverpool has dwindled somewhat to be fair, Voodoo seems to be in hibernation now and a few of the other local nights have stopped now, not for lack of venues either that's for sure, but they dont have much of a chance what with even the local big hitters booking people like Surgeon and Regis, which is a bit of a shame, but that's business i guess

liverpool is indeed dire at the moment....nothing dragging me over there im afraid. last time i went over it was voodoo dave clarke and it was almost empty. very dissapointing.

manchesters at his best for a good while though....locked and sequence always busy and getting nothing but good stuff on each time.

TripleB
04-10-2007, 12:07 AM
theres a wiked night goin on in liverpool november 10th NUCLEAR AUDIO
have got a wiked line up in the techno room

eric sneo, glenn wilson, bas mooy, mark eg, + promoter - dave woods

and i must add:) hehe! me distek and joe are startin the night off as a part 1 of 3 fatcollective tour!
its goin to be wel fat night!

massplanck
04-10-2007, 02:07 AM
Time for some new blood thats all. Turn it into an opportunity. Thats what i'd do.

module
04-10-2007, 02:09 AM
Time for some new blood thats all. Turn it into an opportunity. Thats what i'd do.

easier said than done..

DannyBlack
04-10-2007, 08:39 AM

im working on something at the moment, but the hard part is not actually having a venue. the clubs them selves are actually just closing down.

i have a bit of a plan tho.

djfilthmonger
04-10-2007, 08:59 AM
eric sneo, glenn wilson, bas mooy, mark eg, + promoter - dave woods

What a great line up, Seen Eric Sneo down in cork a while ago, some dj plays with the drum machice and drum sticks

DannyBlack
04-10-2007, 09:22 AM
yeah, now that was a great techno night out. that was the "Lets go techno" tour he was doing i think. one of the most memorable nights out that was.

Esox Lucius
04-10-2007, 10:49 AM
hardly techno capital of the world waterford but still shit for you mate, only ever been to one night in waterford at the forum, just have to mission to dublin or cork or something innit. is that big club in tramore still there?

DannyBlack
04-10-2007, 10:55 AM
the big club in tramore still standing, but its empty and getting turned into a supermarket.

balls.

stjohn
04-10-2007, 03:34 PM
Good luck with the venture danny...
you should pop up to Dublin for one of Electric Shock / Electric City Gigs...

Steve Rachmad [100% Pure - Amsterdam]

in 2 weeks... im well looking forward to that

DannyBlack
04-10-2007, 04:21 PM
that sounds good man, let me know details and il see if i have that weekend off.

stjohn
04-10-2007, 04:26 PM
thats a thursday !! bit of midweek madness usually!! :)

18th Oct- e12 / e10 tickets

but for the weekend.. here whats coming up.. all in the TIvoli which is/was a cracking venue...

Oct 13: Hell & Alexander Robotnick
Oct 27: Green Velvet & Traxx
Nov 17: Chris Liebing & Legowelt (Live)
Nov 23: DJ Rush & DJ Bold
Dec 22: Speedy J & Donnacha Costello (Live)

DannyBlack
04-10-2007, 05:19 PM
sorted then mate, provided i can get the weekend off im there with f*cking bells on.

Sunil
07-10-2007, 11:07 PM
hardly techno capital of the world waterford but still shit for you mate, only ever been to one night in waterford at the forum, just have to mission to dublin or cork or something innit. is that big club in tramore still there?

Nah, that's not really the point here. Waterford traditionally has had one of the best club scenes outside of Dublin and Cork.. and there IS still a demand in Waterford, but everything is being bought up and used for other purposes other than being a club.

I played the last night (last weekend) in the club Danny is talking about and it was probably my favourite gig I've done in Waterford so far. Crowd were all linking arms cheering and mimmicking the riffs in tracks and stuff, it was great! I think 'intimate' is an overused word but this venue (The Bowery) really is/was; everyone right in your face, spurring you on to play out of your skin... Was really gutted to hear this place had closed - it was going so well, and had so much more potential for the future. Hope you get something sorted down there soon lads, you shouldn't need Dublin or Cork!

Re: that big club you were talking about.. 'South' closed down a few years ago..

djfilthmonger
08-10-2007, 12:21 PM
yeah waterford was always a great place for techno over the last decade, Im from Tramore and that night club South was great for gigs, nothing every lasted in that place

Esox Lucius
08-10-2007, 12:34 PM
must be my waterford blood where i get my love of techno then, my dad is from portlaw :cheese:

DannyBlack
08-10-2007, 03:18 PM
portlaw! wicked... just up the road from me that.

grain
14-10-2007, 01:24 AM

good to see wise words being spoken in this digital realm... spoken like a true being...

In the words of Spiral Tribe:

"You might stop the party, but you can't stop the Future!!" ... the video for which (and i never even knew they made one) I stumbled accross on Youtube recently.. well worth a watch... still sounds rockin' !

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=pm8Xo6N_U5w

Them old ravers look they they could teach us a ting or two!

278d7e64a374de26f==