PDA

View Full Version : NFL Picks Week 5

SlavikSvensk
03-10-2007, 03:44 PM
ok, we all sucked last week. so i'm going to post this week's schedule with the betting line before posting picks

Date & Time Favorite Line Underdog Total
10/7 1:00 ET At New Orleans -3 Carolina 44
10/7 1:00 ET Jacksonville -2.5 At Kansas City 36
10/7 1:00 ET At Washington -3.5 Detroit 46.5
10/7 1:00 ET At Tennessee -8.5 Atlanta 40.5
10/7 1:00 ET At Houston -5.5 Miami 42.5
10/7 1:00 ET At Pittsburgh -6 Seattle 39
10/7 1:00 ET At New England -16 Cleveland 48
10/7 1:00 ET Arizona -3.5 At St. Louis 41
10/7 1:00 ET At NY Giants -3.5 NY Jets 41
10/7 4:05 ET At Indianapolis -10 Tampa Bay 46.5
10/7 4:15 ET At Denver -1 San Diego 42.5
10/7 4:15 ET Baltimore -3 At San Francisco 35.5
10/7 8:15 ET At Green Bay -3 Chicago 41

Monday Night Football Line

10/8 8:30 ET Dallas -10 At Buffalo 44

SlavikSvensk
03-10-2007, 03:48 PM
away team first, home team second. predicted winner in caps.

carolina vs NEW ORLEANS
jacksonville vs KANSAS CITY
DETROIT vs washington
atlanta vs TENESSEE
miami vs HOUSTON
seattle vs PITTSBURGH
cleveland vs NEW ENGLAND
ARIZONA vs st. louis
NYJETS vs nygiants
tampa bay vs INDIANAPOLIS
SAN DIEGO vs denver (keep thinking THIS week they break out...)
baltimore vs SAN FRANCISCO
chicago vs GREEN BAY
DALLAS vs buffalo

SlavikSvensk
05-10-2007, 05:32 PM
snooch? herman? sam? overfiend?

herman
05-10-2007, 07:10 PM
carolina vs NEW ORLEANS
jacksonville vs KANSAS CITY
DETROIT vs washington
atlanta vs TENESSEE
miami vs HOUSTON
seattle vs PITTSBURGH
cleveland vs NEW ENGLAND
ARIZONA vs st. louis
Nyjets vs NYGIANTS
tampa bay vs INDIANAPOLIS
SAN DIEGO vs denver (If Norv Turner doesn't give LT 35 carrys against this D he should never be allowed to coach again)
baltimore vs SAN FRANCISCO
chicago vs GREEN BAY
DALLAS vs buffalo

Im slightly worried I have the exact same picks as you barring the NYC game I fear Im losing my touch :)

SlavikSvensk
05-10-2007, 07:31 PM
you might be :)

but last week was an indication that sometimes, you could pick every favorite and still do worse than 50%. i guess that's what makes the league exciting.

btw totally agree with norv, though i'd say he never should have been allowed to coach THIS time either. he's a decent offensive coordinator but a total, complete hack as a head coach. did you read simmons' article this summer about the signs of norv turner midseason collapse to look out for? i think 2/3 of them have already been reached. marty schottenheimer must feel quite vindicated at the moment. and good thing too. he was treated unbelievably poorly by aj smith and the chargers front office, not to mention the same way in washington when his 8-8 nfl team was replaced by steve spurrier's craptastic college team.

SlavikSvensk
05-10-2007, 07:32 PM
oh and btw, i picked pittsburgh primarily because seattle sucks it up on the road. but i wouldn't be shocked if the 'hawks won. or if san diego loses AGAIN

digitalboy
05-10-2007, 10:17 PM
i'm battering the tv to get channel 5. If i can get get it, i'll be eyeing up some of those games

snooch
06-10-2007, 06:12 AM
snooch? herman? sam? overfiend?

I'll have my picks tomorrow night. Been having 16-18 hour days between the new job and school. Sleep is precious at this point.

snooch
07-10-2007, 02:47 AM
(If Norv Turner doesn't give LT 35 carrys against this D he should never be allowed to coach again)
Quote of the year. Any team who fires their coach after going 12-4 with a long history of fail and hires a shitty coach like Norv Turner deserves what they get. Choads.

Alright, I guess I have to make my picks now so here goes.

The Steelers over the Seahawks by a slim margin
Arizona over St. Louis
New England over Cleveland
New Orleans over Carolina
Giants with a massive win over the Jets for the NY bragging rights
Washington with a slim win over Detroit
Houston over Miami
Tennessee over Atlanta (Losing Vick was just too much for this team. This season is a write off.)
Jacksonville over Kansas City
Indiana over Tampa Bay (tampa may pull a shocker here and upset the Colts though)
Baltimore over the Niners
Green Bay demolishes the Bears (A friend asked me what happened to the Bears this year? I said Grossman happened)
Dallas owns Buffalo on Monday night in preparation for next week.

snooch
07-10-2007, 03:02 AM
SAN DIEGO vs denver (keep thinking THIS week they break out...)

The breakout won't happen this year with Turner in charge. Like you said great offensive coordinator but a vile head coach. The ownership is bad. They won't let their coach have full reign for more than one season without wanting to take control. Case in point: last season. After rebuilding the team and leading them to their best season in I don't know how many years(over a decade), they freak when Shotenheimer(sp?) wants to run the team his way. He took them to the playoffs and gave LT the record setting season he had last year. It's like the Lions and Barry Sanders all over again. Stunning running back and they twiddle their thumbs over silly powerplays and Yes Man coaches. I would love to see LT go to somewhere where they will use him and use him well like Tennessee. Think of it, Vince Young and LaDanian Tomlinson. Holy Crap. Defenses would tremble.

SlavikSvensk
07-10-2007, 03:39 AM
he'll never leave SD. and i think turner gets the team to 9-7 or 8-8, just off talent. or maybe 7-9. but not worse, i don't think. they still get to play the raiders twice and the beatable chiefs at home. and norv gets fired. no return of marty though. i bet they try to entice bill cowher out of retirement. but if he's smart, he doesn't take it and comes to michigan instead :)

snooch
07-10-2007, 03:57 AM
For their sake, I hope they get their collective morale up and knock off Indy or N.E.(sorry) in the playoffs so the NFC has a chance for once.

SlavikSvensk
07-10-2007, 04:07 AM
well, i wouldn't pencil in anyone yet. what if a key player gets hurt, like jeff saturday of the colts or randy moss, let alone peyton or brady? or what if pittsburgh just goes into indy and beats up on the colts like they did 2 years ago? or dallas ends up playing in green bay in december? or against a stubborn seahawks team that finally gets consistent?

despite the fact that it looks like a pats-boys super bowl, it's just soooo hard to predict the NFL...

snooch
07-10-2007, 04:34 AM
I'm not betting on the 'Boys in the bowl yet. Their defense is good but not solid enough to be deemed Championship caliber yet. And like you said, there's too many variables to even predict the outcome of the sucktastic NFC.

SlavikSvensk
07-10-2007, 04:37 AM
this year at least there is more than one decent NFC team.

but also, all of the patriots and cowboys opponents to date are, i think, a combined 7-25. and many people are ready to declare the superbowl...me included when i get swept up in brady-to-moss fever

snooch
07-10-2007, 04:44 AM
this year at least there is more than one decent NFC team.

but also, all of the patriots and cowboys opponents to date are, i think, a combined 7-25. and many people are ready to declare the superbowl...me included when i get swept up in Romo-to-Owens fever

fixed :cheese:

Sam_Horam
07-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Carolina vs NEW ORLEANS
JACKSONVILLE vs Kansas City
Detroit vs WASHINGTON
Atlanta vs TENNESSEE
Miami vs HOUSTON
Seattle vs PITTSBURGH
Cleveland vs NEW ENGLAND
ARIZONA vs St. Louis
New York Jets vs NEW YORK GIANTS
Tampa Bay vs INDIANAPOLIS
San Diego vs DENVER
Baltimore vs SAN FRANCISCO
Chicago vs GREEN BAY
DALLAS vs Buffalo

SlavikSvensk
07-10-2007, 06:08 PM
seattle/pittsburgh is on right now. think they said polumalu is out, which could be huge for seattle, but they tend to suck on the road so we'll see...

snooch
07-10-2007, 08:00 PM
How about that dude returning kicks for the Jets? May be the clincher dammit...

snooch
08-10-2007, 04:52 AM
Wow just finished watching the Chicago-Green Bay game. What a scorcher! The Bears came back and won it after the Packers had it seemingly locked up at the half. The Bears defense won the game for them. The Bears running game wasn't too effective and Griese was far from perfect but their conservative possession based game won the day. All I have to say is Tillman won the game for them with two crucial turnovers.

SlavikSvensk
08-10-2007, 05:11 AM
another crappy week for me. 7-6 going into monday's game. why the **** did i pick san francisco?!

snooch
08-10-2007, 12:25 PM
I did well this week 10-3 except for the fact that I forgot to pick the San Diego and Denver game. Dipshit. I counted it as a loss as a dumbass tax.

snooch
09-10-2007, 05:11 AM
JDHDTYEHFK%$%^FJDLJ!!! Holy Shit, did you guys see that Cowboys-Bills ending??? Cowboys were down at the half with Romo throwing 4 interceptions(five in the whole game). They came back and won the game with a field goal with one second left on the clock! Awesome end to a crazy game. I mean Buffalo was ahead basically the whole game by virtue of their defense and their special teams(they ran a kickoff back 103 yards for a touchdown). That's my 'Boys. One f*cking second left. I can't wait until next week. I hope Romo plays better against New England because he will have to to have a chance at winning.

SlavikSvensk
09-10-2007, 05:42 PM
well, new england will be considerably more difficult to get past mistakes with. the fact that buffalo didn't win after 5 INTs is pretty pathetic on their part.

snooch
09-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Amen brother on two points, Buffalo sucking worse than usual this year and Dallas' chances at winning next week getting progressively worse. But they won't be going into this one complacent and all puffed up on ego. It's a short week for preparations and you had better bet that Coach Phillips will be game planning and working those bastards.

Sam_Horam
09-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Don't talk about the Bills.

How depressing can it be to lose a game after scoring 3 return TDs and winning by 8 with about 20 seconds to go.

snooch
09-10-2007, 10:17 PM
I'm sorry if you are a Bills fan, but it was less of a Cowboys going out and winning the game than it was a Bills letting the 'Boys win it. I mean Romo had 6 turnovers and still won. Most other teams would have put it out of reach and at least not let the Cowboys score 9 points in less than 20 seconds. The Bills have some major issues they have to fix before they can contend in that conference let alone the playoffs. I hope they do fix themselves up (as long as they don't beat my Cowboys) because they deserve it. ESPN was saying last night that this was a season killing kind of loss. A real morale buster. It was a wild game either way.

digitalboy
09-10-2007, 10:32 PM
another crappy week for me. 7-6 going into monday's game. why the **** did i pick san francisco?!

the 49er's used to be awesome

snooch
10-10-2007, 01:23 AM
Used to be... The '95 49ers were awesome. Steve Young, Jerry Rice-the best receiver of all time, Charley Waters in his best year, one of the best fullbacks of all time- William Floyd. They were one of the most offensively dominating teams of all time. That was their last great team. They have been at the bottom of the league since.

SlavikSvensk
10-10-2007, 01:50 AM
even better in the joe montana days...rice, taylor, clark, craig, etc

SlavikSvensk
10-10-2007, 01:51 AM
plus ronnie lott and bill romanowski on defense...

Sam_Horam
10-10-2007, 01:16 PM
I'm sorry if you are a Bills fan, but it was less of a Cowboys going out and winning the game than it was a Bills letting the 'Boys win it. I mean Romo had 6 turnovers and still won. Most other teams would have put it out of reach and at least not let the Cowboys score 9 points in less than 20 seconds. The Bills have some major issues they have to fix before they can contend in that conference let alone the playoffs. I hope they do fix themselves up (as long as they don't beat my Cowboys) because they deserve it. ESPN was saying last night that this was a season killing kind of loss. A real morale buster. It was a wild game either way.

We have got an awful lot of sorting out to do. Bad draft picks/free agency signings have been the story for a long while.

We've had a few false dawns but haven't managed to get ourselves a genuine franchise QB since Jim Kelly. Doug Flutie looked the part for a brief time, then Drew Bledsoe showed it for a while but Rob Johnson, JP Losman, Kelly Holcomb etc have just not been up to it.

Obviously hasn't helped these guys that the rest of the team has been so poor over the years but if you look through our personnel decisions over the last 10 years there have been too many mistakes.

I understand to an extent why London Fletcher and Takeo Spikes were allowed to leave because we're just not going to be competitive for a couple of seasons. But I sometimes think that you have to at least try and stay competitive whilst you're rebuilding. I could definitely see us going 2-14 or 3-13 with all the injuries we've had. There is a real lack of leadership and experience in the team.

Aside from that I think the season so far has been great. There have been some great games and I think things should get very interesting in the AFC with New England, Indy and Pittsburgh playing like they are. And I have a feeling that San Diego (and maybe even Baltimore) might be in pretty good shape by the end of the season.

SlavikSvensk
10-10-2007, 03:28 PM
i think trent edwards is also a better QB of the future than jp losman

278d7e64a374de26f==