PDA

View Full Version : Bass drones

AcidTrash
05-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Im after a droning bass sound. One that you know is there but cant actually distinguish. What would be a good way of doing that?

dirty_bass
05-10-2007, 04:29 PM
Sinewave.
Cut all the top end, compress.

platform1
08-10-2007, 01:08 AM
What actually happens if u compress a sinewave?? arnt u just making it louder by doing that.... ive never tried it.. isnt a sinewave just 1 harmonic so your not actually making anything else quiter or louder??

I like to use a sinewave for my sub and compress it with my kick that always seems to nail the bass end making it nice and thick. Is this because i am compressing the sinewave?? i always thought it just levelled out the bass frequencies alittle!?

dirty_bass
08-10-2007, 01:39 AM
Well just a pure sinewave your fine, I`m refering to multi oscillators.
Compression will even it out.
Just a single sinewave won`t need compression unless you want it to duck under the kick.

geigercounter120
08-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Sinewave.
Cut all the top end, compress.

unless i'm mistaken, isnt a true sinewave simply a fundamental frequency; i.e. one tone? if you run it thru a filter, you'll end up with either nothing or a completely unaltered sound....

i think... :)

ampassasinbirmingham
08-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Sureley it takes up a small section of frequency eg) 50-90hz? If so, the top end could still be rolled off?

dirty_bass
08-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Ok read above. If you are talking about a pure sinewave generated tone, then yes it`ll be fine alone.
Bot most people will probably use multi oscillator synths, I would have though, and phasing sine wave based sounds can cause all sorts of problems.

And I thought I was a nerd.

Another way to generate a bass drone in a more techno type way, is to take a a bunch of low end percussion (toms, low congas or something), build a bunch of really downtuned percussion loops with them.
Cut all the top.
Maybe a little bass saturation too
compress the tits out of it
sidechain it to the kick.

Gives you that nice, but cliche, techno rumble under the kick, but with a more interestingly textural edge than just sinwave based sounds.

ampassasinbirmingham
09-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Another way to generate a bass drone in a more techno type way, is to take a a bunch of low end percussion (toms, low congas or something), build a bunch of really downtuned percussion loops with them.
Cut all the top.
Maybe a little bass saturation too
compress the tits out of it
sidechain it to the kick.

Gives you that nice, but cliche, techno rumble under the kick, but with a more interestingly textural edge than just sinwave based sounds.

nice tip. i can imagine it makes it rumble along niceley

geigercounter120
09-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Ok read above. If you are talking about a pure sinewave generated tone, then yes it`ll be fine alone.
Bot most people will probably use multi oscillator synths, I would have though, and phasing sine wave based sounds can cause all sorts of problems.

And I thought I was a nerd.

lol!

i meant no offense, just questioning! :-P

dirty_bass
09-10-2007, 11:31 PM
That`s ok geezer.
Production nerds UNITE!!!

tOM B
11-10-2007, 05:24 PM
cheers for the tips in this thread - have been having fun playing around

Lag
12-10-2007, 09:13 AM
u can do what the dnb guys do.
take a sawtooth synth, lower a couple of octaves, lower shift, lower the filter, put two notch filters on different parts of ur sound and lfo them differently and compress. its usually the "taking" synth u hear in dnb. done this way, its the "mumbling" synth :)

278d7e64a374de26f==