PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Costelloe - Renounce Enthusiasm (minimal)

acos1
05-10-2007, 09:31 PM
Hey check out my new track its first in the player. Lemme know whatcha think.

http://www.myspace.com/aaroncostelloe

BRADLEE
05-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Yo, man this is definitely the type of minimal I really ****ing like mate. Again, hard to fully comment on peoples mix when it's from the myspace. But, that's a tune for sure. The vocals are a sweet little touch especially. Maybe a touch heavy in the mix though you know...

I just think maybe could do with a bit more variation of edit work perhaps. This is my only big critic. You know, just some serious little edits to break up the monotony of the noises at times.

Overall though man, I'd say that I quite enjoy it. I really enjoyed the sounds of the last track as well. Nice synth/bass, and keys.

dirty_bass
06-10-2007, 12:11 PM
Interesting minimal. I quite like it, the nagging main riff works well.

As for the production.
Well, minimal really separates the men from the boys when it comes to production.
The stripped down sound exposes any bad production areas with a magnifying glass.

Although this is a downgraded myspace audio stream I can still pick out some areas that need work.
For a start there`s a few of your sounds early on that are a little too dry in the mix, needing some verb or something to gel them into the mix and give a little pro polish.
That main metallic pad, drone that runs all the way through is a little too thin and could do with a little more width and warmth, as it sounds a little "cheap"
The main Riff could come down in volume too, and I would maybe back it with a real lush reverb, then compres it to get it really full, as it is the main focus.
It`s hard to make any further judgments on the audio as the quality of the stream on mysapce is horrible, but overall I`d say you could inject more warmth and presence into your mix.

stjohn
06-10-2007, 02:57 PM
interesting stuff Aaron. nice work
the vocal snippet is cool.. kinda unsettling!

production seems clean and clear, but as dirty said there could be a few areas that could be revisited... i reckon a nice subbass might sound cool too... but then it kinda veers from being minimal i suppose..

:;

acos1
06-10-2007, 03:08 PM
hey guys thanks for the comments. i has hopping you'd actually comment about it kinda sounding cold in parts cos i kinda noticed myself after a few listens but wasn't sure about revisiting it. i dont know if its the main melody thats too high or that the hats etc are too low. that was buggin me also. what ya think? i know its hard to tell from a myspace stream. ill have another look and post the finished track soon.

dirty_bass
06-10-2007, 06:49 PM
I sounds to me like you`ve slightly overcut the low end on a number of sounds, making the mix a little thin in the middle.
Rectifiy this and you`ll add some of the warmth back
Maybe try running a few sounds through a chorus, ever so subtley, or some tape saturation, something that adds a slight bit of movement to the sounds.
This will also help.

acos1
07-10-2007, 06:49 PM
I sounds to me like you`ve slightly overcut the low end on a number of sounds, making the mix a little thin in the middle.
Rectifiy this and you`ll add some of the warmth back
Maybe try running a few sounds through a chorus, ever so subtley, or some tape saturation, something that adds a slight bit of movement to the sounds.
This will also help.

nice one man! will do! ;)

Little_Fella!
09-10-2007, 12:50 AM
hey guys thanks for the comments. i has hopping you'd actually comment about it kinda sounding cold in parts cos i kinda noticed myself after a few listens but wasn't sure about revisiting it. i dont know if its the main melody thats too high or that the hats etc are too low. that was buggin me also. what ya think? i know its hard to tell from a myspace stream. ill have another look and post the finished track soon.

This is a pretty good tune... I would certainly revisit it as so far it has the right structure to keep a minimal track interesting for sure... I like minimal if it's kept interesting...:)

I reckon that you should now play around with some nice effects, one's that you havn't tried on anything yet, to create some interest in your lead synth stabby part... the tune is crying out for this at about 3.10 - 3.20odd as you pause briefly n then set off again...

Really like the title n you have captured the mood that goes with it really well...

Maybe incorporate one more sound just to help you lead your progression, as minimalists love that sort of thing... I think...:cool:

278d7e64a374de26f==