PDA

View Full Version : Who uses Acid 4?

Iron Lee
30-11-2003, 12:49 AM
Anyone use Acid 4.0? I do. What does anyone think of this? You can do anything within it.

DJZeMig_L
30-11-2003, 12:53 AM
Mark EG is a big fan as far as I know..!

Z

MARKEG
30-11-2003, 06:45 AM
yup. i love this but i'm finding ableton live just as exciting. different software for differfent styles i suppose.

Col
30-11-2003, 07:52 PM
i hate acid 4. :evil: in my experience its the most tedious piece of music software availible.

Iron Lee
02-12-2003, 03:53 AM
I find I have to master anything I make in Acid 4 later. It sounds flat otherwise. I have to actually take it to a place so they can run it through an eq or whatever. Anyone else experience this? I like it other than that. I can do anything with it.

Barely Human
02-12-2003, 10:17 AM
Thats a bit of a bold statement to make about acid :shock: I can think of loads of stuff you cant do with it :neutral:

Iron Lee
02-12-2003, 10:17 PM
I can't think of anything I couldn't do. So tell me.

Barely Human
03-12-2003, 12:33 AM
Side chaining, rewireing, freeze track, gate, arpegiate, recycle loops, map drums, link automations, etc....list goes on and on. You can even do tempo changes i think(correct me if im wrong).

Just out of interest, have you used any other software? Such as Cubase SX or Logic?

Iron Lee
04-12-2003, 01:58 AM
Well guess what, I can do all of that. Loop recycling is only on Acid 4. Of course I can do tempo changes. That was on Acid 3 yet. Ha! :cool: And why would I want to use something else? I can't think of a reason. No pun intended.

Barely Human
04-12-2003, 02:16 AM
Loop recycling is only on Acid 4.

Hmmmm...Well that would be kind of wierd, as recycling loops orriginally came from a program called ReCycle,(hence the name), and cubase can handle the rex files with ease? Im just wondering why you are being a touch narrow minded about music production? Why limit yourself to one piece of software, when there is so much out there to learn? Yes, i agree that you can produce decent tracks using just Acid 4, but this isnt the way to push boundary's and develope the music as a whole.

You should really look into some pioneers of electronic music, (such as Music Concrete, http://csunix1.lvc.edu/~snyder/em/mc.html ), and see what people have enjured, and pushed, to make music what it is today.
The way i see it is that anyone one can sit down for a couple of years and produce half decent tracks, and this is why we now have the influx of the same bog standard tracks. Most of the stuff i hear now is nothing new, and this worries me :cry: The whole scene, as a whole, is suffering from this repetiveness, and producers really need to stop this from deteriorating any more!

Dont think im having a pop at ya here mate :shock: As im only expresing my opinion. But i really think you would benefit from checking some other stuff out aswell. If you like Acid, then you should really check out FL Studio aswell, as this program is a lot more powerfull and more user freindly ;)

Iron Lee
04-12-2003, 02:29 AM
I meant loop recycling is new within ACID 4, It wasn't on previous versions of Acid. Yes I've studied the history of electronic music also. I'm a fan of Kraftwerk ( yeah I know there is stuff way before them ). I don't care what other people use. I will try allot of stuff in the future. I'm getting into hardware too. See? Relax everyone...

DJZeMig_L
04-12-2003, 09:20 PM
If u feel something does all u need then it's only natural taht u stick 2 it... though I am afraid eventually u might need something else quite soon... I know acid 4 can handle virtual isntruments and some midi.. but as far as I know it's isn't vary flexible or easy 2 work this way... Acid 4 is brilliant if u work mainly from loops but the degree of synthesing and transformation is rather limited (unless u use some preatty powerful softsynths, efxs)... still working with this "limitations" can b a challenge 2 produce good/ different music..
IMHO there is so far u can go with just sampling and audio sequencing... unless u have a very vast and RICH collection of samples (and I'm not talking about loops)...

my 2 cents..

Z

Iron Lee
05-12-2003, 02:01 AM
The thing is though, I can record into it. Not just grab a 10 second sample or whatever. I can plug a keyboard into my laptop and play away all night, and watch the wave-forms form on the screen when I stop recording. Yeah I will use more in the future though. No need to argue about that. But I think to start this is a somewhat cheap and good way to learn the basics. If not just stick with it, add to it type of thing.

DJZeMig_L
05-12-2003, 04:34 AM
sure m8... I didn't say it's all but basic loop mangling! ;)

Z

John Vella
18-12-2003, 08:54 PM
To me Acid 4.0 is where I like to setup my loops b4 shipping them off to Cubase to be sequenced....

Picture CUBASE SX as the battlefied....

Before all the little loops go off to war they need to be trained in Acid 4.0.

:lol:

-jOHNNY

karlo
18-12-2003, 11:26 PM
i use acid 4.0b pro for all tracks i made...and will make..

pre mastering = cubase sx1.0
mastering = lawrie studio (uk) p. grooves :twisted:

professor
19-12-2003, 02:41 PM
do you lot make your own loops in Acid4, or are you using loops that someone else has made and "mangling" them before shipping them to Cubase for sequencing/processing?

jake
25-12-2003, 01:21 AM
i have heard some brilliant tracks sequenced in acid but i personally dont like it

daviec
26-12-2003, 01:20 PM
Spooky. I was just going to start a topic about Acid 4 :dance:

I flung a track together using it and Soundforge the other night. I used mostly loops I'd sampled and mangled myself, then used Acid to sequence them. What I found odd though, and I found the same thing with previous versions is that once I rendered the track to a wav file I seemed to lose the bottom end :hmm:

As someone said what had sounded OK while inside Acid, just seemed to go flat in the final render. I've always previously attributed that to my shitey speakers, but I'm using Alesis M1 Mk2's now, and got the same effect. I also found that samples that sounded fine in Soundforge needed eq'd again in Acid. I was bringing the mid-highs up at 7dB to bring them out, as they sounded really dull and muffled.

I quite liked Acid 4 though, but I've got to say that using VSTi's in it was a pain in the arse, and not something I could really be bothered doing.

I've been trying a few different programs just now. I used to use Cubase SX (and before that Logic), and will probably end up back at it, as since trying FL Studio, Sonar 3, and Acid 4 I don't think any of them fit my way of working like Cubase SX does.

I reckon Acid 4 will stay installed though as it could be useful for flinging tracks together in a hurry.

DJZeMig_L
26-12-2003, 04:51 PM
Maybe yer soundcard brings the Sample rate down a few notches 2 coupe with the realtime rendering, or some other form of compromise in quality.. but then when doing the final export it doesn't suffer from the same prob.

try and record the realtime output thru the digi out into the digi in from say wavelab/ sf... or even Audio CD R/ DAT!!

hope this helpz...

Z

DJZeMig_L
26-12-2003, 04:54 PM
If u have a SB work in 48 KHz as this is it's native sample rate 4 it's E-Mu Chip....

This also makes the sound slightly better and the latency/ processing a little less heavy...

Z

daviec
26-12-2003, 05:10 PM
It's the other way round though. The realtime sounds fine, but my final rendered .wav that I export sounds worse.

I'm using a Terratec DMX6fire and I don't have probs with other apps. My brother has the same problem on his rig with Acid.

It's not a great problem, I just found it odd that it always seems to happen when I use acid.

DJZeMig_L
26-12-2003, 07:09 PM
sorry, the "possible reason still stands"...

Try the option I gave ya and let us know m8!

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==