PDA

View Full Version : EQ'ing before or after compression

platform1
08-10-2007, 07:38 PM
So when do you guys use EQ? i always thought it was best to EQ after compression and cant really think of a reason you would eq then compress..? but someone i highly regard for there production compresses after EQ to apparently to focus the compressor in the frequencies he needs..or somthing like that...?? which confussed me can anyone explain what he ment by this, or has he just got it muddled up

christian wagner
08-10-2007, 08:09 PM
after - compression changes dynamic range of a sourse so eq-ing before will be messed up by any dymanic changing compression after :)

though, theres no rules. so whatever i guess! but i always do it after

loopdon
08-10-2007, 09:23 PM
You could also eq before AND after.

christian wagner
08-10-2007, 09:27 PM
You could also eq before AND after.

Steady on now ;) hehe

dirty_bass
08-10-2007, 11:01 PM
As a rule, compression after EQ.
If you then EQ after compression you are almost undoing your compression.
For some elements, EQ after.
For bass, before and after

christian wagner
08-10-2007, 11:19 PM
As a rule, compression after EQ.
If you then EQ after compression you are almost undoing your compression.
For some elements, EQ after.
For bass, before and after

exactly, bass doesnt really have any dynamic element to a track, unless you want it to, so maximum compression and eq as you need it will make it fuller :)

dirty_bass
09-10-2007, 12:54 AM
exactly, bass doesnt really have any dynamic element to a track

Not sure I understand what you are saying here.
But in my opinion bass needs to most control, as it is the most powerful and most unwieldy element.

christian wagner
09-10-2007, 06:45 AM
Not sure I understand what you are saying here.
But in my opinion bass needs to most control, as it is the most powerful and most unwieldy element.

Yeah, The bass doesnt have big dynamics, i.e. theres no parts of the bass that are quieter, then get louder, its a constant which needs to stand out all the way through, hence the amount of compression it can handle.

platform1
09-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Thats what i thought cheers for clearing that.. i somtimes have problems when compressing my bass parts.. i end if with loadsa clicks and pops.. changing the attack and decay dont seem to fix it... anyone else have that problem?

thinking about it, it could just be bringing the pops and clicks that are already in the bass parts but i woulda have thought so... im using native instrument bundle compressor, it is very tempermental (dodgy crack version).. what other compressors would you guys recomend... gotta be cheapish

Mindful
18-10-2007, 01:37 PM
sometimes Before somtimes after, somtimes both.

Say for example... a kick drum...I would high pass the kick so there-for I want to do this pre compression so that the compresser is not reacting to the lower freqs(as it would if I compressed before the high pass)
Then I would usualy Eq again(somtimes I will compress again with diff compresser)

Whatever sounds best is the answer realy:)

278d7e64a374de26f==