PDA

View Full Version : RA: Surgeon releases his first mix cd on Warp

dbit
08-10-2007, 08:50 PM
British Murder Boy Surgeon releases his first ever commercial mix this month.

Taking its title from an onstage rant by Suicide, 'This is For Your Shits' is billed as a dynamic and fast cut selection of techno featuring Warp artists such as Autechre, Aphex Twin and Squarepusher, electronic noise bands Throbbing Gristle, Scorn and Whitehouse as well as Surgeon's own uncompromising material. The mix was recorded in 2006.

The release is limited to 1,000 individually numbered and hand-finished CDs via mail order from Warp.

Tracklist

1. (intro) from tape archive
2. Scorn - Doors
3. DBit - Kero mix
4. Autechre - Laughing Quarter
5. British Murder Boys - Splinter
6. Aphex Twin - Vordhosbn
7. Paul Damage - Passing By
8. The Bug - Killer
9. Squarepusher - Red Hot Car
10. British Murder Boys - Anti Inferno
11. Throbbing Gristle - Persuasion (Motor remix)
12. Tony Rohr + Paul Birken - Lofishizzy
13. Cane - Fall
14. British Murder Boys
15. Aphex Twin - Ventolin
16. Scorn - Sleep When Home
17. Archae + Grovskopa - Elements (unreleased)
18. British Murder Boys - Father Loves Us
19. Curve - Falling Free - Aphex Twin Remix
20. Eight Frozen Modules - Datacasting
21. Brothomstates - Rktic
22. Monolake - Invisible
23. British Murder Boys - Don't Give Way To Fear
24. Whitehouse – Dumping the ****ing Rubbish
25. Autechre - Second Bad Vilbel
26. Vex'd - Canyon
27. Scorn - Snow Hill
28. Surgeon - Klonk (part2)
29. British Murder Boys - Don't Give Way To Fear
30. Monolake - Linear
31. Eight Frozen Modules - A Low Bite Riddim

'This is For You Shits' mixed by Surgeon is out on Warp Records on October 15th, 2007.

Official Website: http://www.warprecords.com/

Si the Sigh
09-10-2007, 08:12 AM
Wow! Tracklist looks great. Might have to get me a copy of this. :)

eyeswithoutaface
09-10-2007, 10:16 AM
tracklisting is average i thought, and found it a bit of an odd thing to do only now. I mean, ive got Surgeon sets that totally blow this out of the water, and a number of them too. More of a get in bed with Warp thing this i think, but still looks cool

would be cool if it sold well too and got a nice bit of coverage, as i am getting pretty sick of the endless hard dance mix adverts that seem to be washing over my tv set these days

DVNT
09-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Looks interesting.

eyeswithoutaface. What are these sets you speak of? I have the ones from spannered.org

basslinejunkie
09-10-2007, 02:49 PM
tracklisting is average i thought, and found it a bit of an odd thing to do only now. I mean, ive got Surgeon sets that totally blow this out of the water, and a number of them too. More of a get in bed with Warp thing this i think, but still looks cool

would be cool if it sold well too and got a nice bit of coverage, as i am getting pretty sick of the endless hard dance mix adverts that seem to be washing over my tv set these days

kinda know what you mean,il still be looking to purcase it tho aslong as its reasonably priced.

echodek
09-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Looks interesting.

eyeswithoutaface. What are these sets you speak of? I have the ones from spannered.org

See if the three-hour BMB set recorded at Club Dogma is still available... it's a blinder. and free!

eyeswithoutaface
09-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Looks interesting.

there are literaly hundreds of stunning Surgeon mixes from over the past ten years or more floating around if you look. I dont have the mixes i have online unfortunately as i dont have my studio PC hooked up to the net, but have a good dig around

dbit
09-10-2007, 08:07 PM
When I see an artist release a mix cd with a larger label I find it's often to put out a broader statement or piece of work, something that represents and encompasses particular dimensions of their style at a given time. They know that often this work will be heard by a slightly larger and different audience, in addition to their die hard fans who record, download, and pass around their live performances.

These mix cds are not always the popular favorites among fans who are in the know, but when you are in the know about a particular artist you have different expectations of where you would like them to take you, or surprise you, in relationship to their work.

In a way these CDs are like time capsules. I think the lmtd edition 1000 hand finished copies aspect of this release also reflects that aspect.

Just my two.

:)

eyeswithoutaface
09-10-2007, 08:39 PM
When I see an artist release a mix cd with a larger label I find it's often to put out a broader statement or piece of work, something that represents and encompasses particular dimensions of their style at a given time. They know that often this work will be heard by a slightly larger and different audience, in addition to their die hard fans who record, download, and pass around their live performances.

These mix cds are not always the popular favorites among fans who are in the know, but when you are in the know about a particular artist you have different expectations of where you would like them to take you, or surprise you, in relationship to their work.

In a way these CDs are like time capsules. I think the lmtd edition 1000 hand finished copies aspect of this release also reflects that aspect.

Just my two.

:)

well, i dont think this goes anywhere near as deep as that to be fair. I think probably Surgeon was asked to do the mix CD and agreed, and alas here it is. It certainly doesnt take a departure from his sound so i dont think there is any artistic statement to be made here really, just a good mix for fans to collect and to have to put in their collection as opposed to just another, whilst still stunning, Surgeon mix mp3 or burnt CD.

And limiting it to a thousand copies wont enable it to be heard by a larger and different audience, these will get snapped up in no time by the Surgeon hard-core

278d7e64a374de26f==