PDA

View Full Version : I don't seem to have progressed

APC
12-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Grrr I'm getting wound up because I don't seem to have improved at all in the last few months. I'm trying to get a few hours practice in every week. I'll get started on mixing and have them lined up fine in the headphones, ready to bring in, seemingly perfectly in time, then when I cue up and let it go it just sounds like its slightly out all the time and no matter what I do, whether speed up or slow down, I just can't feel comfortable with it. When I have recorded myself and listened to it after, it doesn't sound as bad as it did actually at the time but it's really annoying as I don't know whether it's just my ears thinking they are hearing it out of time or what!!

arrrghhhh!!

basslinejunkie
26-10-2007, 11:50 AM
same problem as me.i always record mixes an **** them off half way through thinking there shit,when i actually listen back they arent at all.but i think its good being super critical of oyurself,my attitude is if i get myself rocking,then there wont be a problem for anyone else!

Think i've hit a bit of a block really,dont know what i need to progress further,maybe a new mixer or loads of new tunes so it re lights the fire.

rhythmtech
26-10-2007, 11:54 AM
same problem as me.i always record mixes an **** them off half way through thinking there shit,when i actually listen back they arent at all.but i think its good being super critical of oyurself,my attitude is if i get myself rocking,then there wont be a problem for anyone else!

Think i've hit a bit of a block really,dont know what i need to progress further,maybe a new mixer or loads of new tunes so it re lights the fire.

i remeber when i played vinyls and i'd practise about 2 hours every eve.. didnt seem like i was getting anywhere.. but it always came together for gigs..

RDR
26-10-2007, 01:44 PM
The learning curve is not static. people have peaks and troughs in it, just as much as they do with anything else.

When you first start the learning process you find that these peaks and troughs come along short and fast and as you continue to learn those peaks get higher, however they also come along more slowly and the troughs can be really bad.

However its all just a question of perception.

Four basic stages of skill

1. Unconscious incompetent
2. Conscious incompetent
3. Conscious competent
4. Unconscious competent.

In other words... stick with it!

Jay Pace
14-12-2007, 10:47 AM
Always record yourself.

Felt the same way for ages, then I made a point of recording every time I had a mix, and made sure that whenever I did have a mix I'd play at least an hour.

There's a big difference between how you feel a set went and how a crowd woudl feel about it. The only way you can hear what the crowd would hear is to record it and listen back. You pick up loads of things you wouldn't ordinarily realise as well - that the FX and scratching you thought you were blazing away on sounds a bit self indulgant and shite, and that mixes you thought were quick and shoddy were actually quite tight and dynamic.

You said yourself your mixes sound better when you listen back to them - get used to your recordings being the judge of whether your had a good session or not, instead of how you felt about it. It'll be the same when you play out, sometimes you have to put on a good show even though you might feel like shite or you feel out of it but if you have enough confidence in knowing your end product sounds good so long as you do x, y & z you'll get better.

You just sound like you don't have confidence at the mo'
Keep practicising mate, no substitute for knowing your tunes, and knowing what you sound like to other people when you play. Press record!

RDR
14-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Always record yourself

1000% agree.

it cuts out the "Oh shit im recording myself" syndrome. Gives you quality feedback and captures yourfinest moments.

xes
14-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Always record yourself.

Felt the same way for ages, then I made a point of recording every time I had a mix, and made sure that whenever I did have a mix I'd play at least an hour.

There's a big difference between how you feel a set went and how a crowd woudl feel about it. The only way you can hear what the crowd would hear is to record it and listen back. You pick up loads of things you wouldn't ordinarily realise as well - that the FX and scratching you thought you were blazing away on sounds a bit self indulgant and shite, and that mixes you thought were quick and shoddy were actually quite tight and dynamic.

You said yourself your mixes sound better when you listen back to them - get used to your recordings being the judge of whether your had a good session or not, instead of how you felt about it. It'll be the same when you play out, sometimes you have to put on a good show even though you might feel like shite or you feel out of it but if you have enough confidence in knowing your end product sounds good so long as you do x, y & z you'll get better.

You just sound like you don't have confidence at the mo'
Keep practicising mate, no substitute for knowing your tunes, and knowing what you sound like to other people when you play. Press record!
f*cking top advice there as usual :) every last word.

basslinejunkie
14-12-2007, 12:28 PM
1000% agree.

it cuts out the "Oh shit im recording myself" syndrome. Gives you quality feedback and captures yourfinest moments.

hahaha,red button syndrome.ive gone shite many a time once ive pressed that button.

good advice amigos,cheers

APC
14-12-2007, 06:42 PM
:)

wenna
15-12-2007, 08:52 PM
just keep playing and moving on i say

robin m
18-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Just exactly what Jay said... record yourself every time & listen back to it the day after as you go about your daily shit - you get a much better appreciation of what worked & didn't, what to try more and less of and you get to know your tunes a lot better. While you're actually mixin you can't really get that perspective on it as you're more focused on the moment.

Also buy a stack of new tunes if you can, that always works...

TechMouse
18-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Getting your monitoring setup right can help too.

Speakers at head hight pointing right at you.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've felt I sounded absolutely shocking in my living room and then been perfectly fine in a club with a decent setup.

RDR
18-12-2007, 11:47 AM
perfectly fine in a club

Thats what you think, did you not notice people chewing their own arms off with boredom at the back?

TechMouse
18-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Thats what you think, did you not notice people chewing their own arms off with boredom at the back?
Too right.

Last time I play one of your tracks. :xwink:

RDR
18-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Too right.

Last time I play one of your tracks. :xwink:

You were warned! tsk tsk...

TechMouse
18-12-2007, 01:16 PM
R&B / C&W crossover, it seemed so inspired at the time.

Well, that's ketamine for you.

RDR
18-12-2007, 02:11 PM
R&B / C&W crossover, it seemed so inspired at the time.

Well, that's ketamine for you.

Where? I dont see any ketamine... mind you i didnt last time either, that powder you offered me smelt of dried cheese and did nothing.

Skank.

TechMouse
18-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Where? I dont see any ketamine... mind you i didnt last time either, that powder you offered me smelt of dried cheese and did nothing.

Skank.

You idiot.

You're supposed to smear that stuff on your nipples when you go jogging.

RDR
19-12-2007, 07:41 AM
You idiot.

You're supposed to smear that stuff on your nipples when you go jogging.

I see the problem now!

You're mother was most displeased that afternoon, especially after i had promised her so very very much.

You're family expect something for nothing, payments in cheese, shave this badger, electrocute this cactus, do this, do that.

TechMouse
19-12-2007, 04:12 PM
I see the problem now!

You're mother was most displeased that afternoon, especially after i had promised her so very very much.
Is a clean patio so much to ask?

You're family expect something for nothing, payments in cheese, shave this badger, electrocute this cactus, do this, do that.
You said you enjoyed all of those things!

RDR
19-12-2007, 05:29 PM
Is a clean patio so much to ask?

You said you enjoyed all of those things!

You didnt see what she made me clean it with.

And yes i enjoy all of those things, but not with a pool ball in my mouth and your father's "Irish Party Violin Hits" on a 5 second loop (track three 'My Irish Eyes Are Frowning")

it puts a crimp upon that which otherwise could be described as a genuinely seavers afternoon.

TechMouse
19-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Well, that quite literally told me.

I consider myself well and truly spoken to.

RDR
19-12-2007, 06:25 PM
I detect boredom!

:hissyfit:

TechMouse
19-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Meh

Aratron
19-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Getting your monitoring setup right can help too.

Speakers at head hight pointing right at you.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've felt I sounded absolutely shocking in my living room and then been perfectly fine in a club with a decent setup.

:clap: very good advice

Aratron
19-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Grrr I'm getting wound up because I don't seem to have improved at all in the last few months. I'm trying to get a few hours practice in every week. I'll get started on mixing and have them lined up fine in the headphones, ready to bring in, seemingly perfectly in time, then when I cue up and let it go it just sounds like its slightly out all the time and no matter what I do, whether speed up or slow down, I just can't feel comfortable with it. When I have recorded myself and listened to it after, it doesn't sound as bad as it did actually at the time but it's really annoying as I don't know whether it's just my ears thinking they are hearing it out of time or what!!

arrrghhhh!!

i think you need to practice with someone else aswell.
come up to donny for the night

APC
10-01-2008, 09:37 PM
i think you need to practice with someone else aswell.
come up to donny for the night

Up to where?

Aratron
10-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Up to where?

Doncaster. Im not Mark EG or anything, but your welcome to come up to and sleep on the sofa, some friday sometime. and we can have a few beers until the early morning etc, and we can mix some tunes, see your technique, learn from each other etc
believe me dude, i've learnt loads from having folk round at my gaffe like RDR and acidtrash.

thats how i've learnt being the bottom of the pile, watching other people dj and slowly developing my technique.

278d7e64a374de26f==