PDA

View Full Version : Studio expansinn second opinion

christian wagner
14-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Yo all i really hope someone can guide me in the right direction here.

I want to expand my set-up so that i can do more mixing outside the box. I use Logic 7 on a mac, currently with an M-box, which is connected to a behringer 6 channel mixer with my Freebass, Waldorf Pulse, and Fantom XR connected, stereo outs of mixer go to M-box inputs 1&2.

this is ok, but what i really want to do is have a firewire / usb 8 in 8 out interface, with outputs 1&2 being main specker outputs, and the others 3-8 being fed into a mixer,along with the hardware synths then possibly the sub-groups on the mixer to my 8-ins on the interface.

Im on a low budget so i think il opt for the Terratec Phase 88 FW, or maybe a second hand Motu 828 if i can save a bit.

I would like some opinions on possible routing to make it more flexible, and maybe some advice on a mixer which isnt TOO much.

WOULD THIS SOLUTION BE OK? OR IS THERE A MORE FLEXIBLE OPTION?

can anyone give an opinion on this mixer:

http://www.dv247.com/invt/40684/

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appritiated, and please note - i dont want anything behringer, but i also dont want to pay TOO much!

Tyrisia
15-10-2007, 08:23 AM
One thing I will say is that i use a 20 channel folio for my Supernova to listen to what is going one whilst playing via midi sequencer.

But I've found it the best solution to have a set of stereo out's connected directly to the stereo inputs of the soundcard. This gives the cleanest signal between the hardware and the computer, so any samples/loops recorded in are of the best quality with the least noise.

This sort of question is all down to how you wanna work really, you gotta ask yourself what you want to achieve, and what's the quickest way etc.

The mixer you mention looks good, although mixers are defo not an area I know too much about, so otheres would probably give better advice.

Barely Human
15-10-2007, 08:28 AM
I would recomend a second hand mackie 1604. you can pick em up for that price if you look around. Only con ive found is the thing gets hot enough to cook an egg on, but its never crapped out yet:laughing:

RDR
15-10-2007, 12:48 PM
I would recomend a second hand mackie 1604. you can pick em up for that price if you look around. Only con ive found is the thing gets hot enough to cook an egg on, but its never crapped out yet:laughing:

Ah... the summer in the studio.

Oh... its like that in winter too.. bloody boiling.. :laughing:

tOM B
15-10-2007, 06:40 PM

i got one of these for £200 and have seen another for £250 recently - so i don't think they are that hard to find - i love mine

278d7e64a374de26f==