PDA

View Full Version : Turning towards the darkness...

Si the Sigh
16-10-2007, 11:10 AM
...just recently, I have been finding myself turning more and more towards the darkside of techno, and I'm loving it! This will probably sound silly to some, but some of the stuff I've been listening to recently reminds me of a lot of the early London acid techno, relentless, mechanical sounding, drug fulled machine music, and other stuff has been really sound tracky, freaky, dark and warped. I may have found a new love! Now if only people like Grovskopa, Radial, etc; could just chuck some acid lines in the mix as well...:laughing:

DannyBlack
16-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Bigtime mate, anything that sounds eerie always appeals to me- as long as it retains that funk factor. dinner records number 2 side A is pretty dark, lovelly techno innit.

Si the Sigh
16-10-2007, 12:08 PM
Dinner is a superb label. Gagging for number 3 to come out. If you haven't already got it, get Dinner 1. It's an absolute killer.

Numeric
16-10-2007, 12:43 PM
i'm lovin Dinner, got the first two releases and most of the MP3s from the website...

feelin the dark goodness of Bas Mooy, Radial and all of Jeroen's other projects...

:cool:

Si the Sigh
16-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Yea man, loving their work as well. Really digging the following labels at the moment as well, Arms, Audio Assault, Pohjola, Emergence, Token, Planet Rhythm, Psykoskunk, etc;

Frank Dogshit
16-10-2007, 01:32 PM
its the best techno about at the moment no doubt about it....

Si the Sigh
16-10-2007, 01:58 PM
its the best techno about at the moment no doubt about it....

For sure.

I'm always looking for a certain sound, and early acid techno contained 'that' sound for me. But as the acid releases coming out get weaker and weaker and further and further away from what made it special, I've turned to new sounds.

I like discovering new stuff, it excites me.

I really have tried to get into the minimal sound, but it's all one big massive wank fest in my honest opinion. And before someone says "you need to hear it on a big system"

I have.

Didn't make any difference. It bores the shit out of me.

Labels like the ones I mentioned in the post above are really doing it for me at the moment. Something a bit out there, awesome clean production, emotional sounding, powerfull, and relentless.

More like that please. :ruevil:

Massive props to all involved @ Audio Assault and Arms, they really are leading the way at the moment.

Numeric
16-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Massive props to all involved @ Audio Assault and Arms, they really are leading the way at the moment.

word :)

Si the Sigh
16-10-2007, 02:06 PM
What ever style though, techno rules!!!

DannyBlack
16-10-2007, 02:15 PM
What ever style though, techno rules!!!

seen, i love techno and all its diverseness!

MARK NEENAN
16-10-2007, 06:40 PM
seen, i love techno and all its diverseness!

yep that's why we love it! Lovin all the dark & sketchy techno, allway's have, especially arm's & audio assault! But i do have to say i bloody love this minimal quirky techno aswell! Love it.

Oh well each to there own!

Here's to techno!

dirty_bass
16-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Well if you like it dark you might give the last Voidloss Live PA a blast.

http://www.dj-tony-c.co.uk/dirtybass/Live%20Pa/Voidloss%20-%20and%20hope%20shall%20drown%20(master).mp3

Or

http://podcast.techno.fm/Emissions_-_1_-_Voidloss_-_and_hope_shall_drown_techno.fm.mp3

http://iterativemusic.com/db/Voidlossmini.jpg

holotropik
16-10-2007, 11:56 PM
YEah lovin Audio Assault stuff
and
Voidloss always packs the goods.

The darker side of techno is reflecting the world right now imo...

The Overfiend
17-10-2007, 12:11 AM
Wait till the label unleashes it's wrath on you all!

snooch
17-10-2007, 06:54 AM
I'm a big fan of all the Andreas Kremer stuff from the late 90's/early 2000's. Construct Rhythm and Form and all that type of dark, harder techno that was still danceable. I still play that stuff to this day and it still sends a shivver down my back like it used to then. Andre Walter, Schall & Rauch and a lot of the earlier Robert Natus(pneumatic) stuff brings a smile to my face.

Craig_Lea
17-10-2007, 08:42 AM
I've always loved it super hard, oo-err, and dark.
Just as long as it stays within the confines of Techno as a genre, or close to it.

Each to their own, but I'm not feeling this minimal stuff either really.
It's just not intense enough.
I think I'd be bored to tears if I heard it in a club.
My mate Ruari loves it though, so we'll be seeing Villalobos when he comes upto Newcastle soon.
I'll guess then I'll know for sure.

Si the Sigh
17-10-2007, 09:00 AM
cHEERS FOR THE LINK TO THE vOIDLOSS SET sTEVE. sOUNDING GOOD SO FAR! :)

Caps lock...doh!

Stella Boy
17-10-2007, 09:17 AM
loving this guys work http://www.myspace.com/gohiyama

the tracks on his myspace are superb !

Little_Fella!
18-10-2007, 11:21 PM
I'm a big fan of all the Andreas Kremer stuff from the late 90's/early 2000's. Construct Rhythm and Form and all that type of dark, harder techno that was still danceable. I still play that stuff to this day and it still sends a shivver down my back like it used to then. Andre Walter, Schall & Rauch and a lot of the earlier Robert Natus(pneumatic) stuff brings a smile to my face.

Yip Yip..

Agreed there... the more you become innoculated towards the dark side of techno the more you glean light from that darkness...

Twas a weird and wonderful progression for me, over the years, and I do feel that I am still being introduced to darker elements that I am not quite ready for yet... but will grow into in the fullness of time...:cool:

Little_Fella!
18-10-2007, 11:24 PM
Well if you like it dark you might give the last Voidloss Live PA a blast.

http://www.dj-tony-c.co.uk/dirtybass/Live%20Pa/Voidloss%20-%20and%20hope%20shall%20drown%20(master).mp3

Or

http://podcast.techno.fm/Emissions_-_1_-_Voidloss_-_and_hope_shall_drown_techno.fm.mp3

http://iterativemusic.com/db/Voidlossmini.jpg

Have you sorted out that girls number yet for me Steve... :ruquestion: :ruquestion: :cheese:

dirty_bass
19-10-2007, 01:18 AM
Well, I didn`t wanna give it to you.
I didn`t think you needed any more complicated women in your life.
And this girl is seriously one wailing banshee short of a whole horror film

The Overfiend
19-10-2007, 03:02 PM

Probably some of my biggest influences right there, along with Laurent Ho's mix cd's

basslinejunkie
19-10-2007, 03:15 PM
always loved my dark stuff. but im finding some really intresting melodic stuff recently from the likes of exium reeko etc.loving the new direction there taking

Numeric
19-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Probably some of my biggest influences right there, along with Laurent Ho's mix cd's

Laurent Ho is the daddy...

teknorich
19-10-2007, 03:32 PM
@ CraigLea - I LOVE minimal, but Villalobos is an overhyped wanker. He would bore the life out of me, so there's no way you're gonna like him. Sorry to bring you down!!!!

basslinejunkie
19-10-2007, 03:32 PM
aye,he plays and produces some of the sittest music ive ever heard.

rhythmtech
19-10-2007, 05:23 PM
@ CraigLea - I LOVE minimal, but Villalobos is an overhyped wanker. He would bore the life out of me, so there's no way you're gonna like him. Sorry to bring you down!!!!

seen him in montreal.. we'd taken sweeties.. left after 20 minutes.. more fun walking the streets looking at the lovely colours. he's gash :whoops:

Craig_Lea
19-10-2007, 08:04 PM
lol, cheers for all the Villalobos feedback.

I think he's up here in January, I'll let you's know how it went.

I might as well take the oppurtunity to repost that pic :)
http://www.digicode.it/blog/up2006/maggio/villalobos_at_fabric_big.jpg

rhythmtech
19-10-2007, 08:07 PM
he's quite the looker int he :laughing: :laughing:

Craig_Lea
19-10-2007, 08:17 PM
he's quite the looker int he :laughing: :laughing:

Simply lovely :laughing:

And the interview to go with it :

http://higherfrequency.wordpress.com/2007/05/07/ricardo-villalobos-interview-jun-2006/

HRFQ : Well we now understand what you meant about the internet, you can’t control it.

Ricardo Villalobos : No, the internet is even showing pictures of the moment when you are closing your eyes, you were playing for seven hours for the guy who took this photo. He was dancing, he was there and then he is doing this ****ing photo in the moment where…Sure I am sweating, but I am just closing my eyes and he takes the photo in this moment. Then he puts the photo on the internet, “Look how ****ed up Ricardo is!”. Then people call me two weeks later, “Ricardo, I am really worried about you. I saw a photo on the internet”. **** off, you know me. Every normal intelligent person in the world knows that this photo was taken exactly in the moment where my eyes were closing not because I was completely ****ed up. If someone is looking like that he is on heroin I think and heroin is completely the opposite of what I do.

278d7e64a374de26f==