PDA

View Full Version : Who's to blame....

kai
18-10-2007, 06:40 PM
So... who do you hold responsible for the defeat in Russia....

McLaren (for team/tactics etc)??

Rooney (for giving away the pen)??

Gerrard (for THAT miss)??

Lescott (for being out of position for most of the 90 minutes)??

the referee (for being shit and giving dodgy pens)??

or the plastic pitch (for being plastic)???;)

Personally, I think I'd go with McLaren for playing Lescott at left back when he's a centre half - and lo and behold he kept playing too close to the centre backs, leaving Joe Cole and Rooney to patrol the left back position - which in turn led to Rooney defending and giving away fouls (not pens!!!) when he should never have been patrollign that area the pitch in the first place.

And Gerrard. For being a scouser and playing for the scum lol

But seriously, the amount of shit Lampards getting at the mo, but everyone assumes Gerrard is a saint and is beyond reproach and we should build a team round him. Bollocks - he and Lampard are both bloody good players who score goals and win games but they aint world class midfielders to build a team around, and neither of them should be guaranteed a place - though one or the other should prob get in, no way should that mean its automatically Gerrard when Lampard is every bit as good, if not better, a goalscorer, he just scores less important ones more consistently.

SlavikSvensk
18-10-2007, 07:11 PM
i'm not english, and therefore don't buy into the whole "we should always win and if we don't it's someone's fault" mentality i see from some (but not all) of you lot :) but i think in this case it's deserved: it's really mclaren's fault. he's a terrible manager...the sven days show that, at the very least, england is talented enough to consistently quality for and make it to the second round of major int'l tournaments.

Aratron
18-10-2007, 07:32 PM
all of those factors.

the difference really was not having Terry around who was their captain.

Gerrard didnt have an inspiring display.
they missed Beckham.

Insomnia
18-10-2007, 07:34 PM
I'd have to go with McLaren also, i mean some of the tactics he's tried have not been right and playing certain players out of position..

England i'd of put down as a dead cert to qualify from the start, the fact now that it's in the balance is well bad news..England have a squad of stars who are involved in the best league in the world,, imo..

kai
18-10-2007, 07:44 PM
i'm not english, and therefore don't buy into the whole "we should always win and if we don't it's someone's fault" mentality i see from some (but not all) of you lot :) .

True enough but been scanning the papers today, reading the reaction to the result and the media are all looking to blame someone, but depending on the clumnist you read you'll get an entirely different person attacked for 'costing' us qualification.

Just interested to see who the fans, based on the BOA sample;), really think should be held responsible for the failure.

Ironically we did play well in Russia and McLaren, by luck more than judgement, had finally stumbled across a team that could play together, but too little too late to save him and, imo, the Lescott at left-back decision has to be the nail in his coffin.

If only he'd have picked Phil Neville.

As for missing Terry - I'm not so sure that was really a problem - Campbell and Ferdinand formed a good partnership - just as they have on many occasions in the past.

Spacehopper
18-10-2007, 07:50 PM
i think if gerrard hadve scored that chance, it would have put the game beyond russia.......their heads would have gone

kai
18-10-2007, 07:55 PM
If Lampard had missed that chance then the press and fans would have crucified him - as it was Gerrard only one paper really gave it any major attention.

Not excatly a huge fan of Lampard either tbh but balance is needed - the booing he's getting is OTT, especially when Gerrard is regarded as an undroppable saint, despite him being just as error prone as Lampard and just as ineffective at times - though both are class on their days admittedly

SlavikSvensk
18-10-2007, 08:11 PM
True enough but been scanning the papers today, reading the reaction to the result and the media are all looking to blame someone, but depending on the clumnist you read you'll get an entirely different person attacked for 'costing' us qualification.

Just interested to see who the fans, based on the BOA sample;), really think should be held responsible for the failure.

Ironically we did play well in Russia and McLaren, by luck more than judgement, had finally stumbled across a team that could play together, but too little too late to save him and, imo, the Lescott at left-back decision has to be the nail in his coffin.

If only he'd have picked Phil Neville.

As for missing Terry - I'm not so sure that was really a problem - Campbell and Ferdinand formed a good partnership - just as they have on many occasions in the past.

he's just not good at getting the best out of his players. the steady success of teams like sweden, who lack the large number of superstars countries like england, spain, italy, etc. just prove how much the game is about coordination and inspiration.

Numeric
18-10-2007, 08:36 PM
why does anyone have to take the blame? England fans need to realise that they don't have the God given right to win every game, it's the blame culture and media hype that spoil International football in this country...

the tabloids are full of s**t, if McLaren is guilty of anything it's readin too much of the bollocks that's printed in the press, it's a joke, the booing of players is a joke, how could McLaren play Phil at left-back when the fans are booing the player when he comes on as sub, McLaren's damned if he does and damned if he don't, not defending him as any manager with balls would have played Phil anyway and disregarded what the mindless Wembley 'fans' think...

and the penalty decision was a joke too, it wasn't even a clear cut foul and it certainly wasn't in the area...

International football will remain a farce in this country whilst people are so brain-washed by what they read in the tabloids...

basslinejunkie
18-10-2007, 09:20 PM
you forgot the were a shit team option............

french_og
19-10-2007, 08:25 AM
I can't understand why he didn't play Nickey Shorey or Phil Neville Left back as both have played or play there and have experience. Apart from that it would of been difficult for Mclaren to drop any of the other players after the recent performances. i thought Russia away would of been the game for Croach but Mclaren woould of never of dropped Rooney.

There is no excuse about the pitch - i play on that kind of pitch all the time and it is quality to play on - no bobbles perfect for passing - surely it is better than going away to some of these past Sh*t holes and playing on these rubbish bobbly small pitches in eastern europe.

England only have thereselves to blame for the draws and losses earlier on - Russia away was always likely to be a potencial banana skin but they should of picked up the points earlier on.

If we do get through by beating croatia and russia dropping points we should count oursleves very lucky and sack off Mclaren - we are in one of the easiest groups and should of won this group by now.

Yeah Morinhio in!!!!

Si the Sigh
19-10-2007, 08:47 AM
They are a shit team, who were playing semi-well until Shrek came back.

End of thread.

Esox Lucius
19-10-2007, 09:09 AM
ingerland fans = always looking to blame someone
england = players dont give a shit.

Numeric
19-10-2007, 09:31 AM
They are a shit team, who were playing semi-well until Shrek came back.

End of thread.

typical English scapegoating

278d7e64a374de26f==