PDA

View Full Version : jay pace - matters unsaid

Jay Pace
21-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Allo

Was aiming for a detroit track, but it ended up a bit trancier than I intended.
Not sure what it is now, quite like it though.

Feedback always welcome, thanks peeps

matters unsaid - clicky linky (http://www.blackboxtechno.co.uk/matters unsaid.mp3)

(ps. sorry I've not posted much feedback myself lately - will get on the case...)

:hmm:

Tyrisia
21-10-2007, 08:14 PM
Good stuff dude, takes a bit too long to kick in, but when it does it's got a great interesting rolling melody, really diggin it. Also like how you've kept the beats snappy and minimal-ish. That break's pretty good, but I think the low drone could play a bit more mean, sounds a bit too major and happy to go with the minor feeling of the rest of the melodies. I actually think just changing the third note by a semitone might do it, although I'd need to play it on the keyboard to be sure.

Great ideas, keep at it man, it's got real potential.

Jay Pace
21-10-2007, 11:21 PM
Cheers for listening dude. Hear you on the bass, it was originally a minor four note riff, but I thought it was overly repetitive and tried to positive it up a bit, try and get that uplifting melancholic detroit sound. Will have another fiddle about with it, and maybe put a bit more drive behind it.

Intro is fairly long, but wanted to hold the bass back as long as poss. Trying to play around with structure a bit at the moment, makes a huge difference when you play something out if the structure is weighted unusually, properly catches people unawares. Unfortunately it doesn't lend itself to easy listening for people approaching it as a standalone track though.... question of balance I suppose.

Tyrisia
21-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Defo holdin the bass back is a great idea, when it kicks in it's got a real punch, I agree. But some subtle variations in percussion and the parts you've got in the intro would really help carry it until it kicks in I reckon, if ya wanna hold it back like that. It's a grower too, it's even better on second listen, good stuff dude.

stjohn
22-10-2007, 07:53 PM
intersting track alright! very lighthearted and easy to listen to. production is on the money.. bass is tight and hi's are lush!! not 100% what im into but i can deffo feel what you were after!! it would work really well towards the end of a long set.. or at the beginning of a short one :)

nice1 jay

dirty_bass
22-10-2007, 11:54 PM
I like this, very dreamy, not detroity you`re right, but it`s own thing, nice and chilled.
Liking the subtle bassline.

Overall I found the weighting of the mix unbablanced.
The top end doesn`t balance with the kick, so everything leans over to the bottom end too much.

The mid range lacks solidity as well. Being devoid of percussion this leaves the synths to fill the mid range, which they do but only in the very upper mid range.

It`s possible you may have too many sounds that are overdriven or distorted which is causing a flattening of dynamics in the mid range also, but I can`t tell too well.

I`d maybe drop back on the high pass or low cut on some of the sounds to give a little more weight to the mids.
The addition of a mid range synth or percussion with a little punch in the mid would help.

Little_Fella!
26-10-2007, 02:35 AM
Do like the main 'whooo whoo' sound that is kinda talking to you, in an abstract sense...

Agreed on the structure point you made and certainly prefer this principle when on the dance floor...

...reckon you could introduce some more top end skip into the tune at about 4mins for about 45secs to 1min, which would add to the layer you bring in a few bars before the kick comes back in... this will make the dancefloor skip that little bit more also, without being a cliche, before you move into dropping the tune dreamilly away...

Nice work...:cool:

278d7e64a374de26f==