PDA

View Full Version : Vista Tuning Tips

neilried
23-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Yeah I know the first one should be uninstall it and put XP on... But my new laptop wont take an XP installation and in addition there are no drivers available for XP - a r s e!!!! Shoulda done my home work :o(

So Im hoping with a bit of tweaking I can turn off all the unessecary stuff... I used to use musicxp.net as a tuning resource for XP... has anyone found anything simerlar for tuning Vista for audio?

N

rhythmtech
23-10-2007, 01:37 PM
why is it not xp compatible? isnt there a 64bit version of xp?

neilried
23-10-2007, 02:02 PM
why is it not xp compatible? isnt there a 64bit version of xp?

Its a Compaq Presario v6000, got it last night as an insurance replacement for my Asus that got nicked a few weeks ago.

Got it home and tried to install XP and after copying the files stage it says there are no hard disks installed. Wondered if there might be some funky disk controlelr required for the install So I checked the Compaq site for drivers there are none available for XP...

I also bought a copy of XP 64 for the PC that got stolen, however there are no drivers for XP64 either :o(

The below is from their website...

"If you have an HP Pavilion or Compaq Presario consumer notebook PC that shipped with Windows Vista, you should not attempt to downgrade to Windows XP. Changing the operating system (OS) will cause severe operational problems. Many of the components, such as sound, video, graphics, network connectivity, drives, or other devices and peripherals, may have limited functionality, or may not work at all. You should do some research on the support policies of hardware and software manufacturers, and review the problems experienced by other users, before you consider changing the operating system. "

rhythmtech
23-10-2007, 02:21 PM
i'd sell it and buy a good quality second hand xp model.. but then again i havent a clue about vista except that it looks fancy.

neilried
23-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Unfortunatley that aint gonna work for me, I have to get this one working as best as I can.

Ive just moved the studio to a purpose built unit so this laptops not my main production PC, but as I now have to travel further than my spare room to work on stuff I was hoping to have my laptop as a mirror of the studio PC as my old one was...

Has anyone tried building a music PC on Vista?

RDR
23-10-2007, 04:23 PM
No experience of that neil.. sorry

tinterweb is ya best bet

try

www.soundonsound.com

Barely Human
23-10-2007, 05:56 PM
Unfortunately there is not much info for specific tweaks for vista regarding music production as most people stay well clear. The best advice i can give is to stick as much ram in the laptop as it will take. I have a vista machine here running 3gig of ram, and it seams to run fine. However, Vista takes up 800Mb of this doing nothing, so if you only have a gig, i'd think about upgrading.

stjohn
23-10-2007, 07:39 PM
from the Ableton forum

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=75806

bblaze
24-10-2007, 04:15 PM
the problem here is that it's got a SATA drive and there's no SATA driver for it on the XP install.. if you REALLY want xp on it, you'll need to goto the mobo manufacturers site and get their SATA drive and embed it onto a windows xp disk.. theres info on the net about this.. i've got the same problem w/ my hp.. but after turning a bunch of shit off in vista, its actually not that bad..

HOWEVER, i have had some midi timing problems w/ ableton.. :-(

neilried
25-10-2007, 10:43 AM
[QUOTE=bblaze;581768]the problem here is that it's got a SATA drive and there's no SATA driver for it on the XP install.. if you REALLY want xp on it, you'll need to goto the mobo manufacturers site and get their SATA drive and embed it onto a windows xp disk.. QUOTE]

This is kinda what I thought I was going to have to do, would explain why it cant see the drives after copying the files. Just gotta ID the SATA controller and get the driver...

As it goes Ive uninstalled all the sh!t that came bundled on it and with 2GB ram its running pretty sweetly, it just refuses to run final scratch and I havent tried Logic yet but not holding out much hope :o(

278d7e64a374de26f==