PDA

View Full Version : the joy of hardware

maily
24-10-2007, 10:09 PM
i always have a hard time arranging [sp?] my tracks.
But i've just bought a korg electribe [my first hardware sequencer] and it seems i can create arrangements on the fly [seemingly] without even thinking about it.......

guess it's down to: physical interface, spontaneity, simplicity.

stjohn
25-10-2007, 12:25 AM
i hear you man... its great to be playing with stuff and making funny noises!!

what electribe did u get?

Kendall Station
25-10-2007, 10:55 AM
Yeah the electribes are nice....basic Roland TR-style sequencing with a couple extra perks (being able to record 4 measures at once, copy / paste, all that). Have good fun!!!

maily
26-10-2007, 08:42 AM
i hear you man... its great to be playing with stuff and making funny noises!!

what electribe did u get?

i got a second hand ER1 it's in fantastic condition. got it plugged into my drumstation too. instant techno!!!!

but my drumstation now seems to drop notes when i've programmed a few simultaneous hits in the electribe! do i need to be assigning the sounds in the DS to its individual outputs or is it down to MIDI bandwith? or is the DS a cripple?

Kendall Station
26-10-2007, 08:46 AM
i got a second hand ER1 it's in fantastic condition. got it plugged into my drumstation too. instant techno!!!!

but my drumstation now seems to drop notes when i've programmed a few simultaneous hits in the electribe! do i need to be assigning the sounds in the DS to its individual outputs or is it down to MIDI bandwith? or is the DS a cripple?

I used to have a DS and it would do that....it is the polyphony on the DS.

RDR
26-10-2007, 09:07 AM

The DS is a cripple.

The MIDI implimentation by Novation on thos early modules is vomit inducingly bad. Dont worry you're not alone.. my old Treble Station used to loose all its user patches when presented with sysex and then refuse to play any sounds at all for 30mins.

thank god for the software one... its 99% the same.

massplanck
26-10-2007, 11:00 AM
i always have a hard time arranging [sp?] my tracks.
But i've just bought a korg electribe [my first hardware sequencer] and it seems i can create arrangements on the fly [seemingly] without even thinking about it.......

guess it's down to: physical interface, spontaneity, simplicity.

word. I feel the same. I have never 100% clicked with software. Its been a massive waste of time for me personally. Anything I have ever made with my machines has been 1000 times better.. maybe not production-wise but definately idea-wise. There are a few drawbacks to hardware though. I'm gravitating towards a full hardware setup atm and its costly and needs a bit more thought , especially when you are using 3 or 4 Midi devices (some of which can have dodgy Midi.. the electribes being one of them!! my ES1 never syncs with my RS7000 correctly!.. its a Korg thing)

Jamming with your machines is one thing, but recording the results of 4 midi devices into a sequencer (Cubase -> lets not do away with PCs altogether!), editing, playing back your song through your devices and then recording each audio channell and editing further isnt a piece of cake. But I find it much more rewarding & creative than having everthing contained inside a DAW. I spend too much time pricking about with the 2band of EQ 5 on little hihat sample 256 and compressing it with blah blah blah. Its bollocks, all that stuff should come last. Some people like that stuff. I just like expressing myself with my hands a few machines or my guitar etc.

massplanck
26-10-2007, 11:02 AM
oh. and i just bought a Virus :) Happy as larry.

maily
27-10-2007, 01:17 PM
....I just like expressing myself with my hands.....

carefull man that can get you into allsorts o trouble ;)
no but seriously it is much easier to get the ieas flowing when you've got more than one way [mouse] of interacting with all of the elements of your tracks.

RDR
27-10-2007, 04:06 PM
oh. and i just bought a Virus :) Happy as larry.

Well no wonder you love hardware :laughing:

maily
28-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Well no wonder you love hardware :laughing:
yeah they're sick. quality kit.

278d7e64a374de26f==