PDA

View Full Version : Cueing Records?

idontlikeitinthathole
01-12-2003, 06:02 PM
Hello. dont think im stupid im reasonably new to mixing. anywho im having problems in cueing up the next record so that it mixes pefectly. ive just about got beat matching down but all i can think of(cueing wise) is to match the changes(about every 32-64 bars). this works sometimes but it goes wrong quite a bit. So i just wondered what everyones doing when they cue up the next record? Is there some sort of method that evryone uses that i dont know? also i find anthing with a vocal line in it even more hard to cueup so is there another way to do these? ANyway i thought id ask coz thats what troubles me day and night :doh:

Hakka.
06-12-2003, 06:14 PM
there's no system which is perfect for every record (timing wise) but generally I find cueing off from the begin of 2nd break or after 32 beats from 2nd break you can't go wrong. Depends on the record... I find knowing your records makes the biggest difference with mixing. Learn different mix points by practicing loads and you will find that some records blend well and others, are sods. Some records are well designed for timing and others have huge jumps in volume, bass and sound... so just be careful and make sure you learn your records well would be my advice. Have fun with it!

For fast mixing I find its best to cue 64 beats after first break... its difficult to have everything ready by that point and for mixing out smoothly etc... so I'd wait until you more comfortable with mixing in general.

DJ Corbzy
09-12-2003, 12:12 AM
its a long a hard process to master...

you will have to learn about 8 beats, 4 beats....and In the case of Mind Pleasure...15 beats.. :doh:

idontlikeitinthathole
09-12-2003, 05:19 PM
cheers guys, been wondering about that for ages :clap:

Hakka.
09-12-2003, 09:38 PM
practice listening to rythems over 32 beats (usually right from a break)you will often find a riff will loop for 32 beats before going over the same pattern. Eventually this will help you being able to listen for cue points without actually counting the beats.

Hakka.
10-12-2003, 08:06 PM

you will have to learn about 8 beats, 4 beats....and In the case of Mind Pleasure...15 beats.. :doh:

Hey corbz... I've just had a few mixes of Mind Pleasure trying to see what you mean by this 15 beats.

I can't find it... mixes really smooth to me and to time. Is it at the begin or end of track?

Not saying your wrong mate, just curious cause I've not encountered a record that out of time.

Thomas Trouble - Echoes (I think) defo has a problem on the mixes me and my mates have. The track is faster after the 2nd break than the beats during the rest of it. So you need to shift pitch up a little else beats slip. dunno if this is on purpose or press error... but we all find it with just this track.

Wierd init.

DJ Corbzy
11-12-2003, 12:16 AM

Hey corbz... I've just had a few mixes of Mind Pleasure trying to see what you mean by this 15 beats.

I can't find it... mixes really smooth to me and to time. Is it at the begin or end of track?

Not saying your wrong mate, just curious cause I've not encountered a record that out of time.

Thomas Trouble - Echoes (I think) defo has a problem on the mixes me and my mates have. The track is faster after the 2nd break than the beats during the rest of it. So you need to shift pitch up a little else beats slip. dunno if this is on purpose or press error... but we all find it with just this track.

Wierd init.

On the mix out, what seems to be disguised as a 16 beat break is infact 15 beats.... :doh:

Hakka.
11-12-2003, 06:23 AM
ahh... I mix records out at strange points any how but I will have a look for it when I get back from work.

nihilist
12-12-2003, 02:23 PM
practice my friend is the key! try mixing run outs ion a tune then the begining of a nother first. then rest comes with more practice. a usefull book is HOW TO DJ PROPERLY written by frank broughton htfr.com sell it £15 well spent!!!!!!!!

DJTrubass
09-01-2004, 05:15 PM
there's no system which is perfect for every record (timing wise) but generally I find cueing off from the begin of 2nd break or after 32 beats from 2nd break you can't go wrong. Depends on the record... I find knowing your records makes the biggest difference with mixing. Learn different mix points by practicing loads and you will find that some records blend well and others, are sods. Some records are well designed for timing and others have huge jumps in volume, bass and sound... so just be careful and make sure you learn your records well would be my advice. Have fun with it!

For fast mixing I find its best to cue 64 beats after first break... its difficult to have everything ready by that point and for mixing out smoothly etc... so I'd wait until you more comfortable with mixing in general.

Agreed.. depends how long the intro is on the incomming tune and the outro of the outgoin.. also wether the melody runs on for a long time or not after the 2nd or if ur mixing quickly 1st break...

also can depend on the style of music ur mixin i guess

romelpotter
11-01-2004, 01:19 AM
i practised and practiced for about a year and just couldn't do it, then one night i got wasted on a vast ammount of booze and mixed by myself for about 15 hours, then went to bed......... when i got up, i could just do it..i gess the motto of this story is persiverence mate, never give up !!! ;)

jc808
21-01-2004, 09:21 PM
hakka;

practice listening to rythems over 32 beats (usually right from a break)you will often find a riff will loop for 32 beats before going over the same pattern. Eventually this will help you being able to listen for cue points without actually counting the beats.

as above.

trance1
11-02-2004, 05:24 AM
One of the biggest helps is realizing you don't match the booom boom boom boom sound.

You match the

boom "CHUNkT" boom "Chunkt" sound.

Listen for the "Highs"

Its a little tick in the beat. Most styles have it.
Breaks, Drum and bass, trance, and especailly house have hig hats to mix on.
Just keep practicing. Also a GOOD monitor speaker, mixer, phones and needles help sharpen the sound so you can align the bars perfectly.

I like digital mixers. Don't fo for power with the monitor speaker go for clarity. I'm not too technical hope this helps.

278d7e64a374de26f==