PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article concerning vinyl

dirty_bass
29-10-2007, 10:19 PM
http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/commentary/listeningpost/2007/10/listeningpost_1029

Tyrisia
29-10-2007, 11:36 PM
It'll be interesting to see how this pans out..

BRADLEE
30-10-2007, 06:50 AM
pretty cool...

RDR
30-10-2007, 07:10 AM
I'd like to see more figures TBH.

i've heard this floating about the net in the last couple of months, and although im VERY happy if its true i still feel it presents a rather western ego centric view of music.

dirty_bass
30-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Well, it`s interesting, but I don`t think it applies to techno so much.
Techno is just a music out of favour right now, it`s just that the vinyl slump hasn`t helped either.

RDR
30-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Well, it`s interesting, but I don`t think it applies to techno so much.
Techno is just a music out of favour right now, it`s just that the vinyl slump hasn`t helped either.

agree.. ive done some research on it and what the article doesnt state is that, although it does mention DJs. it doesnt mention the genres that are getting the vinyl pressed up... and in the course of looking at it, it appears to be 7inch pressing thats drving the conclusions here. 7 inch records being used by the emergent rock and punk acts - probably as an 'underground' way of selling music... how ironic.

actualy it wouldnt suprise me if the larger labels were looking towards this as a stop gap measure to plug the holes in their sales.

benjames
23-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Its probably just marketing hype, but any move back toward vinyl has got to be positive.

AcidTrash
24-11-2007, 01:15 AM
I think it better to ignore what pundits say about the music industry. So much of the music industry happens off the books and off the radar that nothing the music biz holds much water.

Just take care of your end of the business and the rest will look after itself.

holotropik
24-11-2007, 07:44 AM
hmmm....?
thanks for the read.

I tend to favour the idea that its just a format that is an option among options.....so why not use all options if you can.

I think it comes down to economics in the end. It costs lots to press to vinyl properly and so it stands in deep water in this day and age. But still a viable option that stand on its own for its character.

MARK ANXIOUS
24-11-2007, 03:39 PM
that was a very interesting and encouraging article!

we all know vinyl sounds better (when there's no fluff on the needle in a club or some cunt barging past you with a pint and the thing skips hehehe)

i can see how cd's might be on the way out, especially with mp3 and the internet becoming the format of choice for many.

but not all of us want 'air' as our musical format. and if the majors are going to go down the mp3 route, it means there will be more ppl wanting physical medium.

and tbh, NOTHING beats vinyl as a great sounding, physical medium imho...

i just wish it didnt weigh so much :hissyfit::lol:

RDR
28-11-2007, 06:54 PM
that was a very interesting and encouraging article!

we all know vinyl sounds better (when there's no fluff on the needle in a club or some cunt barging past you with a pint and the thing skips hehehe)

i can see how cd's might be on the way out, especially with mp3 and the internet becoming the format of choice for many.

but not all of us want 'air' as our musical format. and if the majors are going to go down the mp3 route, it means there will be more ppl wanting physical medium.

and tbh, NOTHING beats vinyl as a great sounding, physical medium imho...

i just wish it didnt weigh so much :hissyfit::lol:

Yeah its true, it sounds fantastic, but how does anyone expect those with the real buying power (young adults) to know the difference?

They dont have the playing equipment. And thats the REAL problem if you want vinyl to survive.

As soon as a real solution to being able to manipulate digital files like vinyl arrives it will still be here.

I wish it WAS still here, i always wanted a vinyl release, and feel a bit sick that its drifting away :(

Aratron
28-11-2007, 08:11 PM
http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/commentary/listeningpost/2007/10/listeningpost_1029

yes it is this article which i read about.

take heed. before assuming that consumers want digital releases.

278d7e64a374de26f==