PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Bent (Is it permanent?)

tekboi
02-12-2003, 02:17 PM
Hi guys,

I just ordered a few babies (records) from the UK including the beauty by Surgeon & Regis - Dont Give Way To Fear, anywayz I am from Australia and the order came in and the records still are playing properly but the 2 records have a bent edge on the vinyl so its hell to cue up on my turntable, I am at the moment putting a heavy weight on top of the covered vinyl to try straighten the bent edge on the vinyl, will this work? Has this happen to anyone before? What else can I do?

Hope this makes sense, if its something dumb then let me know hehe

It really does show that couriers really dont take care of their shipping materials, it really is disappointing.

duncandisorderly
02-12-2003, 02:26 PM
you can leave them under a heavy weight for a while or wedge them in between a tight crate of records or even iron them thru a thick towel.

this should sort you out.

tekboi
02-12-2003, 02:57 PM
I will leave them overnight with the heavy weight though with the ironing one which seems like a good idea, but will that affect the vinly in anywayz? I know a thick towel wont melt it obviously but will it affect it in the way it wont play properly etc?

duncandisorderly
02-12-2003, 04:52 PM
should not hurt the vinyl if you are quick.

i wouldn't leave it on for too long tho. and keep it moving the whole time.

Col
02-12-2003, 09:21 PM
good topic.

ive always wondered of ways to solve this problem.

dcdn
02-12-2003, 09:59 PM
I always bent them the other way, so they straighten up a bit, really helps, dont be afraid of breaking your vinyl, its harder than you might think!

Dustin Zahn
02-12-2003, 10:06 PM
Not so true. Grovskopa sent me Emergence 001 back in the day and it arrived in the shape of a bowl (literally). I could have used it to eat if I wanted. I laid that ****er under some heavy stuff for months and its still warped. The mail man did a great job on this one! I heard the one where you put the vinyl in between two pieces of glass and shove it in the oven...but I don't know how much I trust that.

ampassasinbirmingham
02-12-2003, 11:13 PM
Not so true. Grovskopa sent me Emergence 001 back in the day and it arrived in the shape of a bowl (literally). I could have used it to eat if I wanted. I laid that **** under some heavy stuff for months and its still warped. The mail man did a great job on this one! I heard the one where you put the vinyl in between two pieces of glass and shove it in the oven...but I don't know how much I trust that.

better than having a bowl???

tekboi
03-12-2003, 12:32 AM
Well the heavy stuff that I laid on top of the vinyl seems not to work and as Dustin just mentioned he had it on for months and no go, so I dont know wat to do, wat else. I feel as if ironing might work but is a little bit of a risk, unless I try it with one of my older records and see how i go I dont know. Any other ideas?

Its just a pain as the bends on the vinyl do not let me cue the track up at all the needle just slips and drags to the centre every time. Thats hhmm.

Patrick
03-12-2003, 09:37 AM
Weight alone isn't usually enough to straighten a rekkid.

Try placing the vinyl on a heating mat, the type used by homebrewers to keep the beer at the correct temperature when fermenting. This is a low heat so won't damage the vinyl, and the combo of weight + heat seems to do the trick. Heating matts are ideal as they are just slightly larger than a 12" and flat and firm. Obviously use common sense and place some thin material either side of the vinyl to protect it.

I've also heard that yuu can get good results with the wedging between two panes of glass method. You need thick, heat resisatant glass. Clamp the record really tightly between the two then place somewhere warm, like an oven on very low heat or even in a sunny window.

Haven't tried the ironing technique, but a thick towel and an iron on low heat makes sense. Sounds plausible. I might try that on the next warped rekkid I get.

killarava2day
03-12-2003, 09:52 AM
Place the vinyl between two pieces of glass as stated above (I used glass from a window I broke at home) and place in the sun for about ten or so minutes. Guess that could depend on what season you're in though. Take it out of the sun and allow to cool before removal. Checl condition of record and repeat above procedure should it be required.

Worked for me well, over several occasions I might add :shock:

duncandisorderly
03-12-2003, 12:53 PM
The mail man did a great job on this one!

the record is more than likely bent because it was taken off the press before it had cooled properly. not because the mail man didnt care for it correctly. i feel that the mail service get a bad rap for bent tunes and it is mostly not their fault.

Col
03-12-2003, 03:35 PM
[quote="killarava2day"]Place the vinyl between two pieces of glass as stated above (I used glass from a window I broke at home) quote]

thats taking things too far. i mean breaking your own windows for the sake of a record. :nono:

:lol:

jonnyspeed
03-12-2003, 07:29 PM
My advice is to send them back unless they are second hand.

If they are then a couple of days in the airing cupboard stuck between two pieces of metal, wrapped in a towel, works! Obviously will depend on the temperature of the airing cupboard - if it gets too hot it will melt the record so try it with an old unbent 50p one from the charity shop first to make sure you don't just get a fused block of plastic stuck to the metal plates - and it plays afterwards.

peace.

Dustin Zahn
03-12-2003, 08:44 PM
The mail man did a great job on this one!

the record is more than likely bent because it was taken off the press before it had cooled properly. not because the mail man didnt care for it correctly. i feel that the mail service get a bad rap for bent tunes and it is mostly not their fault.

This would make sense if more than just my copy was affected. I highly doubt all the rest of Emergence 001 were badly warped if others managed to play it. You are right, sometimes it is the press operators fault...but this record is a very extreme case and if the press operator's boss saw this he'd surely be fired.

jonnyspeed
03-12-2003, 11:07 PM
Is it the weather? It could be that they just get too hot in transit

Is it packed correctly with card stitteners?

tekboi
04-12-2003, 01:09 AM
Hi Guys,

I am about to go get 2 pieces of 13" glass - does it matter what type of glass? Do I have to say something like heat resistant or something?

After this when I put the warped record inbetween these glass pieces if they were to go in the oven would I have to clamp the glasses together? If so do I have to do it very tight?

If I leave it outside or on the fridge I wouldnt need to clamp it just put something heavy on top of the glass pieces yes?

Just curious, and with the oven part I should just leave it on the lowest possible heat for about 10 mins? or 20mins? what do youz think?

jonnyspeed
04-12-2003, 01:20 AM
have a go with cheap records from the charity shop to see when they melt in your oven. If its too hot and too tight it will just melt the groove.

You also want to avoid rapid changes in temp especially when cooling it if you don't want to make it really fragile.

278d7e64a374de26f==