PDA

View Full Version : Which Allen & Heath for DJ Mixing?

tekara
01-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Hey guys,

Sold my turntables and mixer a few years back to get a Virus C and now im just jonesing to get my tables back.

The question is now, which Allen and Heath mixer should I get for mixing techno?

I heard great reviews from various artists like Liebing and Speedy J about A/H and i am curious about it. I have been using the Pioneer DJM series for the past 5 years and I want to change things up a bit.

Im assuming that when you play at clubs, the industry standard is still the Pioneer DJM series, but is anyone aware of the industry standard for the A/H series? And if so, which one?

Xone any good?

thanks guys.

ampassasinbirmingham
01-11-2007, 10:22 AM
Most new clubs will be sporting the new DJM-800 or the allen and heath xone:92.

Lots of clubs still use the xone:62 though.

If you want lots of effects go DJM. If you want smooth EQ's and filters go A&H.

Xone:92 has lost the studio style faders that the xone:62 had and replaced them for more dj like faders. The xone:92 also has 2 independant filters, and the filters sound amazing.

My advice would be the djm 800 though. it really is the bees knees and sounds super!!

benjames
02-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Its gotta be the Xone:92 for me:

Highest Quality Faders
Highest Quality FX (LP,MP,HP)
2 x stereo send and return bus

Its a popular argument about the effects on the 600 but imho the xone 92 has a wide variety of effects as they can be combined together nicely (eg HP/LP together = phase), plus you can bring 2 sets of effects on each channel together so they dont clash and if you feel like being fancy you can use the high grade x-fader to contorol these fx.

In my eyes the pioneer effects are good for a while then there is almost an embarassment towards using them, because at the end of they day its not very hard and they do sound cheap.

Two full stereo send and returns on the xone:92 so if your after the cheap effect sound (which is fair enough) you can add a efx500 / 1000 and a koas pad or any fx unit or create endless loops of effects.

There is a midi out on the Xone:92 which suggests theoretically you can control vst's from your mixer and bring them into your mix, however this is very clunky to be honest.

Pioneer basically used cheap faders and components on the 600 and when allen and heath dj mixer sales picked up they rebranded and brought out with higher quality fader (as this became the fashion) personally I would rather put my trust in a guy that hand makes products in Cornwall over a large corporate machine only interested in how to scale down the prices without it being noticed.

ampassasinbirmingham
02-11-2007, 02:04 PM
http://www.rs100.co.uk/images/DJM800-L.jpg

The new Pioneer DJM800 mixer, taking digital mixing and effects to a new level. Using the digital circuitry and build of the Club standard DJM1000, Pioneer created the DJM800.

With the familiar layout of the classic DJM600, the new DJM800 is easy to navigate, but at first touch, you feel the difference. Improved build quality, faders, knobs and a bright new FL display let you know you are dealing with a different creature here!

The new effects unit has most of the effects found on the 600 plus a Reverse Delay, Robot Vocoder and a renamed sampler - Roll which simply put, samples straight beats. The most obvious addition is the 'color' effects section with a separate control on each channel.

Under the casing the DJM800 uses the same 96kHz/24bit technology of the DJM1000 with digital in and out

The other key feature of this mixer is that it acts as a MIDI controller, with no less than 61 assignable controls to use your favourite music software!

Input Terminal CD/LINE x 5 (RCA) PHONO x 3 (RCA)
DIGITAL IN x 4 (COAXIAL S/PDIF)
MIC x 2 (XLR / ¼” combo x 1, ¼” x 1)
Output Terminal MASTER OUT x 2 (RCA x 1, XLR x 1)
BOOTH OUT x 1 (¼”)
HEADPHONE MONITOR OUT x 1 (TOP PANEL ¼”)
REC OUT x 1 (RCA)
DIGITAL OUT x 1 (COAXIAL S/PDIF)
Other Terminal SEND x 1 (¼”)
RETURN x 1 (¼”)
MIDI OUT x 1 (5pin DIN)
CONTROL x 4 (3.5mm MINI JACK)
Frequency Response 20Hz - 20kHz
Total Harmonic Distortion 0.005% or less
Signal-to-Noise Ratio 105dB (line)
Head Room 19dB
Power Requirements AC 220-240V (50Hz)
Power Consumption 32W
Dimensions 12.6” (W) x 15” (D) x 4.25” (H) // 320 (W) x 381(D) x 108 (H) mm
Weight 17.6 lbs // 8 kg

http://www.houseofsound.ch/webshop/shop_images/articles/xone92_a.jpg

The Allen & Heath XONE:92 presents a unique combination of performance tools for the professional DJ in a stylish and solidly built club format. Above all, it features sound quality second to none. XONE:92 has been designed and constructed using the same rigorous standards we apply to our large format professional consoles used and respected by top engineers throughout the world.

XONE:92 provides 6 dual stereo channels, two offering mic inputs, adding up to a massive 10 stereo and 2 microphone inputs. A full range of connectors means that you can connect up to 4 turntables, 2 mics, CD players, MD players, drum machines, samplers, and pretty much anything else you might want to bring into the mix.

MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) allows featured front panel controls to transmit MIDI data to enable remote control of external effects, samplers, sequencers etc. Tap Tempo related MIDI clocks are also transmitted to provide synchronisation of MIDI sound modules to pre-recorded sources playing through the mixer.

4 BAND EQ controls rather than the usual 3 for greater creativity. Each band has a safe +6dB boost. The HI and LO bands have infinite attenuation (total kill) with a sharp 12dB/oct roll-off and the MID bands have a massive -30dB of cut, enough to shape your sound well beyond normal EQ range, and without overloading your system.

Stereo channels use high quality twin rail linear or rotary VCA faders. These control the audio using DC voltages meaning that they can take a huge amount of punishment without the bangs and crackles that inevitably creep in on regular audio faders. The high spec Penny & Giles VCA crossfader is easily removable from the top panel for quick replacement should it become worn.

The curve can be swept between dipped response, ideal for seamless beat mixing, and fast-attack, suitable for scratch or cut mixing. Unique to XONE, two stereo state variable Voltage Controlled Filters provide the DJ with a new level of live performance creativity. These are very similar to those found on classic analogue synths but benefit from modern, quiet and stable technology. Use these to sweep the sound by accentuating or cutting frequencies from 30Hz to 20kHz. The 3 filter types HPF, BPF and LPF can be combined to create many more amazing effects. Low Frequency Oscillator controls enable cyclic LFO changes to be applied to each filter. A large Resonance control changes the ‘Q’ or sharpness of the filter effect from subtle to extreme. Each VCF has its own ‘ON’ switch.

Combined with the extensive output and monitoring features, colour coded indicators, stylish layout and clear graphics visible in all lighting situations, you have an unbeatable performance console equally at home in dance clubs, home set-ups, live venues, and on the road.

- 6 Stereo Channels (4 phone or line, 2 mono/mic or stereo return)

- 2 Auxilliary sends selectable pre/post fader (and crossfader)

- New twin-rail VCA channel faders or high quality VCA rotary faders

- 2 independent stereo mix outputs

- 2 x independent Low Frequency Oscillators (LFO) for filter modulation

- Spare knobs included

- Custom illumination showing status of all performance switches

- Dedicated booth output

- Extensive channel, output and cue metering

- Monitor section - includes post EQ switch; split cue and mix to cue balance

- 2 x headphone outputs 1/4" and 3.5 mm jacks

- Talkover facility on mono/mic channel attentuates music by 20dB

- Dedicated clean feed record output

- Universal power supply for worldwide performance

- Internal installer options for system optimization

- Plinth or 19" rack mount ears included

- MIDI output from VCF 1+2, crossfader, LFO (MIDI clock), dedicated data control and start/stop button

- 2 VCF filters - any performance channel can be assigned to either filter or either side of the crossfader

- 4 band EQ - high definition of frequency bands, with infinite kill on HF and LF: wide Q for cut, narrow Q for boost.

- Active crossfader allowing contour to be set from smooth to scratch mix

ampassasinbirmingham
02-11-2007, 02:05 PM
The new 800 has a 96kHz/24 bit A/D converter which no other mixer on the market today has.

I've got an 800 that will be comin my way.
I got a chance to play on one (know a buddy who works for Pioneer) and all i have to say is

This thing is un freakin believable! I was literally gettin ready to pick up an Xone92 but as soon as I tried the 800, those plans were done with.

Pioneer has basically taken sound quality to the next level.

I promise I'm not a pioneer sales guy either!

I am definately one who can't stand seeing someone over use effects but I will say this, the effects on this thing are nutso! You have so much control over each effect. And as dumb as it sounds, sometimes if the DJ booth is dark and you can't read which effect you have selected (like on the 500 or 600), this one reads out which effect you selected on its digital display.

The midi funtions are really cool too. As the mixer was hooked up to Ableton Live, you basically have the ability to turn your 800 into a controller like Sasha's Maven.

And lastly, for those who like to mix harmonically, the Auto Harmonic Tuning is a dream come true! I only touched the tip of the iceberg with it and like they say, the tuning does you no good if you don't know what keys go together but if you do (i knew studying that would payoff, lol) it can really make a mix sound tight.

Bottom line, play with it for yourself, its expensive, but in my eyes, well worth it!

ampassasinbirmingham
02-11-2007, 02:06 PM
BOTH OF THE REVIEWS ABOVE ARE FROM OTHER BOARDS.

DJM800 for me, but the eq's of the allen and heath are sublime

tekara
03-11-2007, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the input guys, greatly appreciate it.

Seems like they are both great mixers, but just comes down to personal preference.

I remember quite a few years ago, there was some complaints by users of the DJM series that they could not combine different effects.

Has Pioneer addressed this?

I'm talking about combining a 4/4 delay together with a low pass filter sweep. Or is it still not possible?

278d7e64a374de26f==