PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal vs Manchester United

Numeric
01-11-2007, 12:00 PM
most anticipated fixture of the season thus far without question...

the way both teams are playin at the moment this is gonna be a true clash of the titans, i honestly believe that United have the better players and are well equipped to deal with Arsenal...

here's how i think United should line-up

Van Der Saar
Brown
Ferdinand
Vidic
Evra (not sure if he's fit but would much prefer to him O'Shea)
Ronaldo
Anderson
Hargreaves
Giggs / Nani
Tevez
Rooney

that team should be able to beat Arsenal :)

basslinejunkie
01-11-2007, 12:13 PM
arsenal win,thats my honest opinion.im gona say 2-0.

xes
01-11-2007, 01:05 PM
I hope they both loose :)

Microdot
01-11-2007, 01:09 PM
I've got a feeling it's gonna be a let down as a footballing spectacle.

these 2 teams are playing the most attractive football in Europe at the moment, and I can see them cancelling each other out a bit. (least thats my effort to tempt fate in the opposite direction)

stating the obvious, but I reckon the key players will be Fabregas (who scares the shit out of me) and Ronaldo. either one of these two could be the difference between the sides.

I hope to god Fergie doesnt go 4-5-1 in an attempt to cancel out Fabregas, which is a scary possibility now Carrick's fit.

the Utd team Numeric put up should be the one that starts. Carrick would be a great set of fresh legs to bring on at 70 mins with his long range passing ability.

Eddowion
01-11-2007, 01:15 PM
I don't think i'm brave or reckless enough to predict the outcome of this one.

Numeric
01-11-2007, 01:25 PM
it's possible that United will try to spoil Arsenal but with Hargreaves in there we're well equipped, Anderson has been making a lot of tackles too...

Insomnia
01-11-2007, 02:42 PM
I agree that Man Utd will cause us problems and will be quite a handfull..

Though in return we aint just gonna take it!

Everything is going well for us at the moment and spirits are high!

We'll have to be at our best on the day, but i'm sure we're capable of getting a result in this one..

Having the home advantage could just be the key here..

Makes for a great match though and is one not to miss.....

Will
01-11-2007, 04:32 PM
most anticipated fixture of the season thus far without question...

the way both teams are playin at the moment this is gonna be a true clash of the titans, i honestly believe that United have the better players and are well equipped to deal with Arsenal...

here's how i think United should line-up

Van Der Saar
Brown
Ferdinand
Vidic
Evra (not sure if he's fit but would much prefer to him O'Shea)
Ronaldo
Anderson
Hargreaves
Giggs / Nani
Tevez
Rooney

that team should be able to beat Arsenal :)

You're having a laugh! All things being equal, Arsenal should win this comfortably, though of course United made more of a game of it at the Emirates than they did at Old Trafford last season, which is the only thing that concerns me at all.

I mean if we get 66% posession at Anfield, we should be getting at least 70% at the Emirates! Which would make it hard for the opposition to hurt us... I mean United have just copied Arsenal's style of play, using pacy, technical players up front, with no number 9 style striker and hitting teams on the counter attack... At least, that's how we used to play, though we're playing like the home side, home and away at the moment.

Microdot
01-11-2007, 05:09 PM
You're having a laugh! All things being equal, Arsenal should win this comfortably, though of course United made more of a game of it at the Emirates than they did at Old Trafford last season, which is the only thing that concerns me at all.

I mean if we get 66% posession at Anfield, we should be getting at least 70% at the Emirates! Which would make it hard for the opposition to hurt us... I mean United have just copied Arsenal's style of play, using pacy, technical players up front, with no number 9 style striker and hitting teams on the counter attack... At least, that's how we used to play, though we're playing like the home side, home and away at the moment.

fcukin ell, someone get me a pint of what this dude's drinking please. quite literally nearly pissed meself laughing at that.
Utd have been playing that kind of football since Matt Busby took over in 1945 son.
how long exactly have you been watching the gooners?

Numeric
01-11-2007, 05:42 PM
you think that because Arsenal bossed Liverpool they'll be able to do the same against United? :laughing:

nick_anarchy
01-11-2007, 06:14 PM

hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahah

hold on while i get back off the floor , best hold on to somethin before i fall over again .....

did you every watch football in the 90's 80's 70's 60's etc etc or are you blinkered as normal ???? i forgot utd had players like kanchelskis , giggs, sharpe , cole in the 90's who's pace killed most defences in the prem & Cl arsenal have only been like this since wenger took over or have you forgot the boring boring arsenal of old and all them 1-0 sit back wins ! copy haha my ****in arse we have

nani , ronaldo , tevez and rooney will have a field day with your back 4 on there day and the way they are playin its lookin like it !!

you think that u got a draw at liverpool that u will walk over teams like utd ? ha what planet u on dude ??

utd have never changed we always have had pace in our side and been the kings of counter attacking play we soak up all the presure then hit u its happened for years !!

djfase
01-11-2007, 07:13 PM
Hard to predict i say.

Im hoping its a great game to watch, and that there will be goals.

Utd will score without question, but the arse to win

fatcollective
02-11-2007, 10:53 AM
should be a fantastic game...2 team doing really well both defensivley and attacking.... man utd and arsenal games have always been great to watch!!

come on united time to step up and show em whos the best!!!

kai
02-11-2007, 11:17 AM
If there has been any change in our style this last couple of seasons its in the lack of an out and out goalscorer upfront.....

(though we never really have had one in our history except when we built the forward line round RVN, so really we're returing to our usual style after deviating for a few years while Ruud was the mainman - imo a large part of why Ferguson wanted rid was to get away from this!).....

....then its in the interchange between the forward players and havinf a forward line comfortable in and capable of switching within the game between each others positions, as opposed to the more wing orientated play we used to focus our attacks on.

However, this has nothing to do with copying Arsenal!!!!!!!

If anything, its taken from the Portuguese style of play, particularly at national team level, and its Quieroz's influence on things thats led to the team attacking like a Portuguese side.

Not a French one Will!

Numeric
02-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Carrick and Saha are confirmed to return to the United squad...

Microdot
02-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Carrick and Saha are confirmed to return to the United squad...

both great players to have waiting on the bench against any opposition.

fatcollective
02-11-2007, 03:57 PM
I support Man Utd but I really don’t rate Saha anymore, he just ain’t got the flair and imagination player like Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo have and if you gonna win big games you need to be one step ahead especially up front and I don’t think Saha has it anymore!! Would be nice to see Carrick back though I think he stared doing really well and settled down nicely...would like to see Carrick and Hargreaves team up actually, think that would be a solid midfield for sure!!

cant wait for this game though, plus Joe Calzaghe fighting later on too...what a fvckin great saturday its gonna be!!

Numeric
02-11-2007, 04:15 PM
i can understand what you're sayin about Louis, but i still believe he is a class player and has a lot to offer, he just needs to stay fit, when he's playin games he's without question one of the best forwards in the league...

Will
02-11-2007, 04:34 PM
United may have been good at counter attacking in the past, but it wasn't their main weapon, they'd camp in the oppositions half, defend high up the pitch, with a high line and put teams under loads of pressure. Now they don't defend high up the pitch, they let teams come on to them, then hit them on the counter - like Arsenal.

And the likes of Cole and Hughes were hardly in the Henry mould, whereas Rooney and Tevez are more similar to him.

fatcollective
02-11-2007, 04:52 PM
i can understand what you're sayin about Louis, but i still believe he is a class player and has a lot to offer, he just needs to stay fit, when he's playin games he's without question one of the best forwards in the league...

i dont agree mate, hes a pretty lazy player and he lacks confidence....i think hes had too much time being injured. hes been a great striker in the past but these days, players like rooney, ronaldo, tevez, nani etc are paying great football and its gonna take a lot for saha to really fit back in and show the magic that these players are starting to show week in week out!!

Microdot
02-11-2007, 04:59 PM
like I said, a great player to have on the bench. especially if plan A aint working, you know you've always got a plan B when Saha is there.

Saha's problem aint his performances, when he does play he's usually good and one of the best strikers in the league without a doubt. it's his mental health that is the problem. he doesnt seem to want to push himself that last bit towards match fitness....

As for Carrick, I'm praying he doesnt drop Anderson to slot him back into the team.

Numeric
02-11-2007, 05:14 PM
aye, to drop Anderson for Carrick would be a mistake in my opinion...

with regards to Saha, i ask anyone who doubts his ability to watch the United season review DVD, the amount of goals, and the amount of quality goals he scored when he was starting every game speaks volumes, he is a quality striker, just needs to stay fit, and ofcourse, there is a question hanging over his mental strength...

Spacehopper
03-11-2007, 01:26 PM
this game is boring the s**t out of me

Spacehopper
03-11-2007, 02:01 PM
a lot better now 1-1..........the ref is blowing for the pettiest of fouls and ruining the game

Numeric
03-11-2007, 02:57 PM
2-2

got to be happy with the away point, still gutted though, Arsenal played the better football but for United to throw away the lead twice is painfull...

nick_anarchy
03-11-2007, 03:46 PM
that will do me , everyone wants to win games but a draw away at the arse is a good result none the less .....

Insomnia
04-11-2007, 02:36 AM
If we hadn't got a point i would of been gutted...

For me we really need to splash out in the 'January window'.. (for a striker)

I dont think Adebayor can really cut it to be honest for the level we require..Dont get me wrong he has great pace etc,but we really need someone upfront to be physical and have the cutting edge at the moment and that's what we're missing....

For long periods we dominated the game and for what exactly, we should of made the score- line more convincing than what it was....

Could of done with Van-Persie today for a couple of the free-kicks that went a begging...

djfase
04-11-2007, 06:41 AM
Draw was a fair result.

A very tactical game, which neither wanted to lose. That changed with the subs in the last20 mins, and it was great to see 2 teams go for the win.

Utd tactics were spot on, and tbf had the better of the chances

Numeric
04-11-2007, 12:50 PM
it was a tense and exciting encounter, thought United did well to spoil Arsenal and score twice, but i'm gutted that we conceded two soft goals and threw away the three points...

Anderson played well but his writhing on the deck was an embarrasment, hope he cuts that shit out as soon as possible...

still think that United will retain the title, to come away from the Emirates with a draw and still be pissed off is a mark of just how well we're doing at the moment...

nick_anarchy
04-11-2007, 01:12 PM
it was a tense and exciting encounter, thought United did well to spoil Arsenal and score twice, but i'm gutted that we conceded two soft goals and threw away the three points...

Anderson played well but his writhing on the deck was an embarrasment, hope he cuts that shit out as soon as possible...

still think that United will retain the title, to come away from the Emirates with a draw and still be pissed off is a mark of just how well we're doing at the moment...

i missed the game , what was anderson doin ?

Numeric
04-11-2007, 01:57 PM
well he had really good first half, making loads of tackles, then he took a heavy challenge himself and writhed around on the floor looking like he was in agony, he must have rolled over about three times, then got up and carried on :laughing: it was shamefull though...

Microdot
04-11-2007, 02:48 PM
If we hadn't got a point i would of been gutted...

For me we really need to splash out in the 'January window'.. (for a striker)

I dont think Adebayor can really cut it to be honest for the level we require..Dont get me wrong he has great pace etc,but we really need someone upfront to be physical and have the cutting edge at the moment and that's what we're missing....

For long periods we dominated the game and for what exactly, we should of made the score- line more convincing than what it was....

Could of done with Van-Persie today for a couple of the free-kicks that went a begging...

dominated possesion, not he game. arsenal only really troubled VDS on 4 occasions and 2 of those were goals. not sure of the stats, but I think Utd had more clear cut chances on goal.
first half was pretty dull, but the second half was very good.
arsenal were the better team on the day, but certainly didn't dominate the game. a point for Utd is a good result.
toughest game either side has had to play this season and the league will almost certainly go to one of these two teams.

we stayed out drinking and watched blackburn vs the sc***ers later on. it was like watching lower league football in comparison.

Will
05-11-2007, 05:09 PM

They weren't half as bad as the goals we gave away! A very flukey own goal that was preceded by a push on Hleb and the other was just after we took off both wingers and brought on a striker and a central midfielder and we were still sorting out the formation and didn't sort out who was marking who etc, so Man U had a man over, plus Almunia hardly covered himself in glory.

In the transfer window all we really need to do is sell Lehmann and try and bring in a world class keeper so Almunia can go back to being the understudy.

Will
05-11-2007, 05:10 PM
And Arsenal had more posession, more shots on target and more shots off target.

Microdot
05-11-2007, 05:47 PM
They weren't half as bad as the goals we gave away! A very flukey own goal that was preceded by a push on Hleb and the other was just after we took off both wingers and brought on a striker and a central midfielder and we were still sorting out the formation and didn't sort out who was marking who etc, so Man U had a man over, plus Almunia hardly covered himself in glory.

In the transfer window all we really need to do is sell Lehmann and try and bring in a world class keeper so Almunia can go back to being the understudy.

oh for fcuks sake, only an idiot would seriously believe that was a foul.
Hleb came flying in like a headless chicken and completely missed his man. great football from Wes Brown to sell him the dummy and then stay on his feet to help create the goal.

french_og
06-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Correct, definately not a foul, Hleb momentum took him over and Brown was just strong on the ball. If that was a foul then the game would stop for every challenge on the pitch.

kai
06-11-2007, 10:23 AM
And Arsenal had more posession, more shots on target and more shots off target.

And yet still created less clear cut chances and never once were in front in the game! Whats that tell you about your supposedly superior attack?

nick_anarchy
06-11-2007, 10:46 AM
And yet still created less clear cut chances and never once were in front in the game! Whats that tell you about your supposedly superior attack?

dude hes blinkered ... he only see's things kopites see ( not much )

to draw at home with the sinking ship must be hard to take !!

Numeric
06-11-2007, 10:49 AM
to draw at home with the sinking ship must be hard to take !!

you'll never let him forget that one will ya :laughing:

nick_anarchy
06-11-2007, 11:49 AM
you'll never let him forget that one will ya :laughing:

no and why should i ... for the fact he stated what we were then we go on and win the prem & get in the CL semi final & FA cup final

but hey its ppl like him that know full all who says small minded things like that

whats next out of his mouth chelsea to get relagated ?

Will
06-11-2007, 05:13 PM

Well maybe if we'd been gifted 2 goals we would have been! Besides, United were very defensive, in the first half at least, getting everyone behind the ball and then just hitting us on the counter attack - how many goals did you score against Reading when they did that? That's right - none! I suppose they must have a better defense than United's...

Microdot
06-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Well maybe if we'd been gifted 2 goals we would have been! Besides, United were very defensive, in the first half at least, getting everyone behind the ball and then just hitting us on the counter attack - how many goals did you score against Reading when they did that? That's right - none! I suppose they must have a better defense than United's...

yawn

Eddowion
06-11-2007, 07:46 PM
yawn

Gunners Celebrations A Boost - Fergie
Tue 06 Nov, 01:09 PM

Sir Alex Ferguson said Arsenal celebrated "like they'd won the World Cup" on Saturday lunchtime.
The Gunners snatched a 2-2 draw against Fergie's Manchester United in the top-of-the-table clash at the Emirates - courtesy of an injury-time equaliser from William Gallas.
And while United were gutted to miss out on going three points clear at the top, Ferguson says they got a psychological boost from Arsenal's celebrations.
"At the end of the Arsenal game, our players were in the dressing room feeling absolutely sick," he told Manchester United Radio.
"That's twice in two years they've turned the game around and got something in the last minute, so we were definitely disappointed to come away with a draw.
"Meanwhile, their dressing room was elated. They were celebrating as if they'd won the World Cup, which I found very interesting. Our players took something out of that, psychologically.
"I think we're a better team than Arsenal now. They're a young team and they're going to be a very good team - there's no question of that - but we went there when they were on top form and they hardly managed a shot on goal. There were definitely a lot of positives for us."

United To Compile Abuse Dossier
Tue 06 Nov, 04:09 PM

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed Manchester United's security staff have been asked to compile a dossier of abuse suffered by Red Devils officials at the Emirates Stadium on Saturday.
Immediately after the 2-2 draw with Arsenal, Ferguson voiced his concerns at the treatment of both himself and members of his coaching team in the visitors' dug-out.
Ferguson claimed Gunners fans sitting no more than two or three feet away were allowed to get away with sustained verbal abuse and expressed his concerns about the lack of security.
Arsenal responded by claiming there was "ample" security, while recognising some of the exchanges can be of an "aggressive" nature.
However, it appears the north London outfit have now asked United to draft up a list of complaints.
"Arsenal have asked our security people to compile a report of the incident," confirmed Ferguson.
"But I am sure they will have CCTV cameras in the ground that would have allowed them to pick up what happened."

Now that's something to yawn about.

Microdot
06-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Gunners Celebrations A Boost - Fergie
Tue 06 Nov, 01:09 PM

Sir Alex Ferguson said Arsenal celebrated "like they'd won the World Cup" on Saturday lunchtime.
The Gunners snatched a 2-2 draw against Fergie's Manchester United in the top-of-the-table clash at the Emirates - courtesy of an injury-time equaliser from William Gallas.
And while United were gutted to miss out on going three points clear at the top, Ferguson says they got a psychological boost from Arsenal's celebrations.
"At the end of the Arsenal game, our players were in the dressing room feeling absolutely sick," he told Manchester United Radio.
"That's twice in two years they've turned the game around and got something in the last minute, so we were definitely disappointed to come away with a draw.
"Meanwhile, their dressing room was elated. They were celebrating as if they'd won the World Cup, which I found very interesting. Our players took something out of that, psychologically.
"I think we're a better team than Arsenal now. They're a young team and they're going to be a very good team - there's no question of that - but we went there when they were on top form and they hardly managed a shot on goal. There were definitely a lot of positives for us."

United To Compile Abuse Dossier
Tue 06 Nov, 04:09 PM

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed Manchester United's security staff have been asked to compile a dossier of abuse suffered by Red Devils officials at the Emirates Stadium on Saturday.
Immediately after the 2-2 draw with Arsenal, Ferguson voiced his concerns at the treatment of both himself and members of his coaching team in the visitors' dug-out.
Ferguson claimed Gunners fans sitting no more than two or three feet away were allowed to get away with sustained verbal abuse and expressed his concerns about the lack of security.
Arsenal responded by claiming there was "ample" security, while recognising some of the exchanges can be of an "aggressive" nature.
However, it appears the north London outfit have now asked United to draft up a list of complaints.
"Arsenal have asked our security people to compile a report of the incident," confirmed Ferguson.
"But I am sure they will have CCTV cameras in the ground that would have allowed them to pick up what happened."

Now that's something to yawn about.

I agree that arsenal asking for proof of something they will already have cctv footage of is pretty tedious stuff.
(incidently, Utd are not bothering to compile a dosier of the events).

the other article is of no more or less interest than a million other sports stories in newspapers around the globe this week. although I admit, as a fan, I would be quite embarrassed if Utd had celebrated in such a way after claiming a single point at home in a game played more than 6 months before the end of the season.

Eddowion
06-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Of course the gunners celebrated, every team that equalises in injury time does.

as for the cctv footage. How are Arsenal supposed to know which of the nasty fans, said those horrible naughty words that Sir Al is so upset about?

Microdot
06-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Of course the gunners celebrated, every team that equalises in injury time does.

as for the cctv footage. How are Arsenal supposed to know which of the nasty fans, said those horrible naughty words that Sir Al is so upset about?

got a bit carried away though don't you think?
like I said, if it was Utd, I'd have been a bit embarrassed.

as for the cctv, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to spot which chavs were getting all giddy on their cup final day.

again, pretty embarrassing behaviour. have you ever felt compelled to shout abuse at close proximity to a professional footballer or manager?

Eddowion
06-11-2007, 10:14 PM
There are morons at every ground, the pro's are supposed to be bigger than that, they should just ignore them. As I said they're morons. Ok Utd never won, you never lost either, get on with the rest of the season.

djfase
07-11-2007, 07:24 AM
There are morons at every ground, the pro's are supposed to be bigger than that, they should just ignore them. As I said they're morons. Ok Utd never won, you never lost either, get on with the rest of the season.

Wrong

No one should be expected to takec ertain abuse. Cantona at Palace and ZZ at WC?

If your family are being abused, you have every right to complain or retaliate. There is only so much ppl should be expected to take if at all.

The usual footie banter is not a problem, its the personal stuff

Eddowion
07-11-2007, 08:47 AM
Cantona and Zidane? look what happened to them.

Numeric
07-11-2007, 10:22 AM
have you ever felt compelled to shout abuse at close proximity to a professional footballer or manager?

i screamed 'you f**kin w**ker' at Lens Lehman once :laughing:

Numeric
07-11-2007, 10:24 AM
i thought Arsenal's celebration at the late equaliser was a tad humerous...

Eddowion
07-11-2007, 10:34 AM
i screamed 'you f**kin w**ker' at Lens Lehman once :laughing:
I doubt you're alone there bro:laughing:

Microdot
07-11-2007, 06:53 PM
i thought Arsenal's celebration at the late equaliser was a tad humerous...

in the same crigeworthy way that The Office is... :laughing:

278d7e64a374de26f==