PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed, sound...

Todd82TA
02-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Hey guys,

I'm really sorry to be ghetto and lame about this, but I was hoping you guys could help me, and I figured who best to go to than the people who pretty much invented techno.

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to sound hardware / equipment, and I'm outfitting all my cars with speakers / components that LOOK stock, but that give improved sound. I'm pretty fond of MB-Quarts and Blaupunkt speakers.

Here's my question though... I do listen to some techno. I really like the ghetto-boom-boom sound so to speak, you know... the really low, lows... like for example on the old Prodigy album Music for the Jilted Generation. The song "Poison". About half-way through the song when it starts getting into it's routine, it starts hitting this really low octave. I only know this because I've heard this song in a number of different cars of varying stereo quality. In most of my cars, I simply can't hear that really low note.

I know crap about stereos, and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the Hz of that note is at. I guess what I'm asking is... if I was going to buy some mid-range speakers and subwoofers, what would I need to be able to take advantage of that sound? I'm under the impression that I need speakers that can go as low as 20hz, but most of the ones I'm seeing claim to be "subs" and only go as low as 45 or so.

Does anyone know how low Prodigy usually goes? I only use Prodigy because it's simply one of my favorites from back in the day.

By the way, anyone enjoy that game at Wembley? I work for the Dolphins. Sorry about tearing up your soccer field. London is great. I now know what it means when a girl asks me if I fancy a snog. (I thought she was offering me candy or something... so I declined)

Cheers!

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1984 Porsche 944
1981 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

lemsip
03-11-2007, 02:44 AM
Some information here

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-NPZ0Hus7i1i/learningcenter/car/?listAll=1

"ghetto boom" is easy to reproduce in my (limited) experience. Techno and house is harder because it distorts easily, whereas the typical suburban wigger massive american car stereo bass just wobbles smoothly even on crap subs.

Get your self a couple of 12 inch subs and an amp and you'll probably be happy. I think most 12 inch subs go down to around 25 hz, but I couldnt tell you what 25 hz sounds like.

Its worth reading up on wiring, so you dont destroy your amp.

278d7e64a374de26f==