PDA

View Full Version : Massive Fail

APC
03-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Got invited to play round someones houseparty who I didn't know. Was quite nervous as only knew one or two people there and I haven't played in front of loads of people I don't know yet. I've been mixing fine at home on my Mk2 Technic's and expected this guys Mk5's to be a breeze to mix with. Except I totally confuddled myself and had one on +16 and the other on +8 without knowing, and had pressed something else so that the pitch didn't move. And I couldn't work out what was going wrong and managed to pull off one mix perfectly (when mixing into the record that was locked in its pitch) and ****ed up the rest and just slammed the fader across quickly to minimise the noise of failure. I gave up after 5 tunes.

I don't think anyone actually cared but it really pissed me off because I could have slammed out a well good set. I'll know for next time. Combination of nerves and extra buttons and lights = not good for me.

Someone please put me at ease by describing their live ****ups!

xes
03-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Been there,done that.

Any drug will render me shite behind the decks.(appart from the magical jack daniels) So,after a few lines of k and some mdma,I tried to play in the Red Star in brixton. I don't know for sure,but I think I f*cked every mix,so I basicly did what you did,made them as quick as possible. People didn't seem to mind,but I did,it felt horrible.

Another time,combo of too much beer,and looking at a turning records,made me run out with my hands over my mouth,only for me to spray frothy vom all down the entrance to these posh appartments. Not my proudest moment.

rhythmtech
03-11-2007, 07:42 PM
playing a big new years gig i was a little worse for wear (being that its usuallly my birthday celebrations aswell). anyway, none of my loops or tracks on ableton would match up.. i hadnt a clue what was going wrong and gave up after 30 mins of slammin from 1 track to another.. turned out i had the snap on the wrong setting

drink + skunk + laptop = messy technologies

Tekamine
03-11-2007, 08:10 PM
remember one of my first gigs the place had no monitors and i couldnt get anything in sync at all... was fuking embarassing.

Aratron
03-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Got invited to play round someones houseparty who I didn't know. Was quite nervous as only knew one or two people there and I haven't played in front of loads of people I don't know yet. I've been mixing fine at home on my Mk2 Technic's and expected this guys Mk5's to be a breeze to mix with. Except I totally confuddled myself and had one on +16 and the other on +8 without knowing, and had pressed something else so that the pitch didn't move. And I couldn't work out what was going wrong and managed to pull off one mix perfectly (when mixing into the record that was locked in its pitch) and ****ed up the rest and just slammed the fader across quickly to minimise the noise of failure. I gave up after 5 tunes.

I don't think anyone actually cared but it really pissed me off because I could have slammed out a well good set. I'll know for next time. Combination of nerves and extra buttons and lights = not good for me.

Someone please put me at ease by describing their live ****ups!

dude put it down to experience.

it takes a lot of bottle to get up there and do it. next time you will be more aware of the set-up and equipment.

i suffer from a lot of anxiety. just takes exposure and practice.

xes
04-11-2007, 11:24 AM
dude put it down to experience.

it takes a lot of bottle to get up there and do it. next time you will be more aware of the set-up and equipment.

i suffer from a lot of anxiety. just takes exposure and practice.

deffinatly agree with this. I suppose everyone,at every level has done this at some time. Don't let it get to ya,pick yourself off,dust yourself down and soldior on.

Numeric
04-11-2007, 01:33 PM
aye like 'tron says just put it down to experience mate...

next time take a good look at all the equipment before you play and if there's anything you think you may be unsure about just ask the jock who was playin before you after he has finished, even if it's somin that could be really obvious and you feel silly askin about it's always better to know...

APC
04-11-2007, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the encouragement people!!!

I was sooooo pissed off all yesterday and came home from work and recorded a mix which in my opinion is my best so far. Just listening to it on the work PC right now. It's a bit sketchy but I'll get a tracklist done and will shove a link up later.

ps. any idea on how to change it to somat I can play on a normal cd player as it is currently a WMA.

Thanks!

Me.

acidguru
04-11-2007, 02:12 PM

I was sooooo pissed off all yesterday and came home from work and recorded a mix which in my opinion is my best so far. Just listening to it on the work PC right now. It's a bit sketchy but I'll get a tracklist done and will shove a link up later.

ps. any idea on how to change it to somat I can play on a normal cd player as it is currently a WMA.

Thanks!

Me.

Just burn it on cd and ya should be able to listen on your cd-player..If this shouldn´t work,ya can change it to an mp3 file by using Nero or Audiojack for example..
If none of this works,i could change it into mp3 as i just downloaded your set from BT,just let me know

APC
04-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Just burn it on cd and ya should be able to listen on your cd-player..If this shouldn´t work,ya can change it to an mp3 file by using Nero or Audiojack for example..
If none of this works,i could change it into mp3 as i just downloaded your set from BT,just let me know

Hello, I just found out that wma's play fine in normal cd players so no need to convert it after all. Thanks for the offer of help though.

Aratron
04-11-2007, 04:20 PM

Thanks!

Me.

nice one dude. seems like it has motivated you to do your best work !!
when you can replicate that live, you will be on cloud nine.

acidguru
04-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Hello, I just found out that wma's play fine in normal cd players so no need to convert it after all. Thanks for the offer of help though.No probs!!

APC
04-11-2007, 05:24 PM
nice one dude. seems like it has motivated you to do your best work !!
when you can replicate that live, you will be on cloud nine.

The thing is, even though it was my "best effort" so far, I'm far from happy with it. I wish I didn't twiddle with the effects doofers at all in it. Couple of issues with levels too. Plus far from ideal beatmatching. But, it's still the best of my bad bunch :D

APC
04-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Stop The Rush - Bodie & Doyle (Smitten)
Tardis To Hackney - Ravehedz (Getafix)
Bedroom Poppadoms - Mr Burns & The Geezer (WahWah)
Minger - Itchy & The Geezer (WahWah)
You Just Been ****ed Up! - Geezer (Smitten)
Mashed Up - Pranksterz (Akid Traxx)
Hoover Uprising - Pranksterz (Acid Test Pressings)
Sugar Cubes @ The Paddock - Mr Burns & The Geezer (Skankadelic)
Hardcore OAP - Ant (Hazchem)
Option 1 - Kay D Smith (Cluster)
Good Old Ghost Face - Revolution Octopus (Subvert)
Return Of The Santa Pod - Crash N' Burn (SUF)
Destruction - Rowland The Bastard (Smitten)
Aural Exciter - Mike Humphries & Glenn Wilson (Punish)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/oe1rwu

There we go.

xes
04-11-2007, 08:53 PM
downloading now :)

xes
04-11-2007, 09:01 PM
hhmm,downloaded 56 odd minutes,but it only plays 3 seconds??

tried in winamp and vlc.

APC
04-11-2007, 09:08 PM
hhmm,downloaded 56 odd minutes,but it only plays 3 seconds??

tried in winamp and vlc.

Weird,...

it's 70 mins long plus I downloaded it at work earlier to burn to cd and it worked fine.

xes
04-11-2007, 09:09 PM
might have to do the same (download at work) cos I've been having trouble recently with upload sites. Will give it another bash tomorow. Like the track list :cool:

APC
04-11-2007, 09:12 PM
might have to do the same (download at work) cos I've been having trouble recently with upload sites. Will give it another bash tomorow. Like the track list :cool:

Well, seeing as the title of this thread is "massive fail", I kind of expected some sort of **** up in the upload of it too haha.

278d7e64a374de26f==