PDA

View Full Version : Logic vs Cubase

SlavikSvensk
03-11-2007, 03:51 PM
anyone use both? opinions? i am a long-term cubase user but played around with logic last night and really liked the interface

RDR
04-11-2007, 07:16 AM
Im a long time user of both.

Where cubase wins:

in place editing of audio files
audio file management (a massive plus)
hit points
Management of video files

Where Logic wins

Quality of its native plugins and instruments
The Environment (this is a massive plus)
Transform function
the latest interface is really good

For me a sequencer lives and dies on how it enables you to manage its audio and video files and how good its native plugins are, so they both have positives. Peronsally speaking i try not to use third party plugins for processing or effects as ive been burnt before when trying to open a project 6 months and 1 reformat down the line. Logics are bloody amazing.

christian wagner
04-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Logic

Audio handleing in logic 8 is vastly improved, its now better than cubase and its giving pro-tools a run for its money.

cubase tries to look nice, and overlooks simple ways of doing things, whereas logic might not look amazing, it does thing in a logical manner.

But thats just me, iv used if since version 3 and i cant hack cubase's gashness.

tekara
04-11-2007, 03:37 PM
i've had an incredible urge to buy logic 8 after looking at some of the amazing plugins that Emagic/Mac offer.

Having said that, I have been a religious user of Cubase since SX and now on to SX3.

In terms of functionality and familiarity, Cubase will always be something I will be comfortable working with. However, the plugins in Logic were just too tasty to overlook.

One thing I never got about Logic, was why it didn't develop Midi plugins like Cubase's "midi step designer" where you can randomly generate midi notes for wild leads and quick basslines.

I also didnt quite get my head around building "environments" in Logic, so in that sense, it really wasn't all that logical to me.

For me, there are pros and cons for using logic. I really enjoy the plugins that are included in Logic, and more importantly, I can finally implement the Mackie C4 controller that I have longed to use but couldnt because it was not supported by Steinberg.

The downside is that it is a totally different sequencer platform and can probably take MONTHS to fnally get comfortable with working with it. Also, not everything is always as logical as the name implies. The lack of midi plugins is a real downer. I really really wish Logic could make a midi note randomizer like Cubase's "step designer" but it looks like im going to have to hold my breath on that one.

Hope my input helps a bit.

SlavikSvensk
04-11-2007, 03:42 PM
cheers, guys. awesome input. i've been a little frustrated with cubase lately and might want to make the change.

christian wagner
04-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Yeah but....theres loads of plug-ins that other DAW's have that logic AND cubase hasnt, theres a lot more logic has that others havnt!!!!

SlavikSvensk
04-11-2007, 05:21 PM
i find cubase a bit unstable when using a bunch of vsts too

dirty_bass
04-11-2007, 06:15 PM
If your looking for a change, then try ableton. Logic is good but still has the old fashioned working method similar to cubase.

If you are comfortable with cubase I would really sugest staying there.
All the DAW`s are on a pr, and really it`s only persoanl preference that makes a difference.

As with any work environment, it`s utter familiarity and comfort through experience that allows you to get the most out of it.

RDR
04-11-2007, 10:30 PM
If your looking for a change, then try ableton. Logic is good but still has the old fashioned working method similar to cubase.

If you are comfortable with cubase I would really sugest staying there.
All the DAW`s are on a pr, and really it`s only persoanl preference that makes a difference.

As with any work environment, it`s utter familiarity and comfort through experience that allows you to get the most out of it.

You know i was thinking the same about ableton earlier on today.

herman
05-11-2007, 12:08 AM
Personally I prefer Cubase but thats mostly because I have used it from v2 on the Atari and I use UAD plugins so the native plugs issue isn't so great. Have recently got Logic 8 as well so will report back once I have given it a good try really like it on initial testing but Im leaning far more to Cubase 4.1 (came out last week) than Logic for the time being simply because Im more confortable with it and don't really want to invest the time in learning a new DAW.

As for Ableton I had to use it exclusively for a while recently and while I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others Im really not that happy with it as a DAW myself can't really put my finger on why either again I suspect it's just years and years of Cubase use.

judas_beast
05-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Use which ever you prefer!

strange_fish
05-11-2007, 05:16 PM
Logic Is Shite.

But im only trolling!:laughing:

strange_fish
05-11-2007, 07:57 PM
logic is bullshit period.

RDR
05-11-2007, 08:31 PM
logic is bullshit period.

I could keep on editing your posts 24/7 fella, unless you feel like qualifying that statement.

Dont get me wrong, im no fanboy, but then im no fanboy of pointless rhetoric either, if your gonna do that by all means keep going.

strange_fish
05-11-2007, 10:44 PM
I could keep on editing your posts 24/7 fella, unless you feel like qualifying that statement.

Dont get me wrong, im no fanboy, but then im no fanboy of pointless rhetoric either, if your gonna do that by all means keep going.

What's with the condescending tone? turn your EQ off please.

Electrictribe
06-11-2007, 07:47 AM
until recently i would have said cubase as i have always preffered the sound on it and the ease of working with it. But recently picked up logic 8 and is a marked improvement on 7 (which always seemed quite illogical to use compare dto cubase) the audio editing is better but maybe not quite as easy to use as cubases but that maybe be something that will get quicker with pratice using it. Going forward if you have a intel machine i defo say go with logic.

Ableton is ok, not been that awe inspired with that output sound but is ok if rewired. But it is very much more a creative tool and quick to work with . Maybe 7 will be a marked improvement and blow logic and cubase out of the water?

RDR
06-11-2007, 08:58 AM
What's with the condescending tone? turn your EQ off please.

My condescending tone?

Logic is bullshit period

THATS condescending isnt it.

You're making yourself look silly. Either buck up or ship out.

FILTERZ
06-11-2007, 09:54 AM
Use whatever , its the results that count

neither has a talent plug in

RDR
06-11-2007, 10:38 AM
Use whatever , its the results that count

neither has a talent plug in

:cheese: damn straight.

But there are PLENTY of anti-talent plugins

judas_beast
06-11-2007, 01:03 PM
My condescending tone?

THATS condescending isnt it.

You're making yourself look silly. Either buck up or ship out.

Don't take things too seriously mate!

PS: Logic is shit! ;)

RDR
06-11-2007, 03:19 PM
Don't take things too seriously mate!

PS: Logic is shit! ;)

Dude :) Dont ask me to justify my love :cheese:

SlavikSvensk
06-11-2007, 08:38 PM
well, it's definately not sh*t because someone else uses something else. :laughing:

basically the deal is that i might be running into a legit copy of logic for an absurd price. i tried it out and really liked it. been feeling a bit static with my current set up. yes, i would have to relearn some bits, but i often find for me shaking things up from time to time gets the creative juices flowing.

looking for ableton as well. never used. want to.

eyeswithoutaface
06-11-2007, 09:41 PM
logic vs cubase, adidas vs nike, sugar puffs vs ricicles

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

278d7e64a374de26f==