PDA

View Full Version : Champions League 6th / 7th Nov 07

Numeric
06-11-2007, 05:33 PM
let hope Liverpool get beat tonight innit :cheese:

United and Arsenal can qualify if they win their respective fixtures...

i expect Barca will batter Rangers...

Spacehopper
06-11-2007, 05:40 PM
maybe if Torres & Crouch start we will be in with a chance of some goals, and Lucas Leiva in for Sissoko

Numeric
06-11-2007, 05:48 PM
i heard Torres will start, it's at Anfield so expect the kopites will get a result...

Microdot
06-11-2007, 05:59 PM
let hope Liverpool get beat tonight innit :cheese:

United and Arsenal can qualify if they win their respective fixtures...

i expect Barca will batter Rangers...

arsenal only need a draw I think.

read somewhere on the net that rangers bigots have apparently organised an orange march in Barcelona, so hopefully they will quite literally get battered.

sc***ers will win easily tonight, I fully expect them to scrape through the group stages.

Numeric
06-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Liverpool 2-0 up now :grr:

fatcollective
06-11-2007, 08:37 PM
Liverpool playing some good footy for a change....good to see crouch back!! still cant see them qualifying though! hehehe!! :briggin:

Numeric
06-11-2007, 09:06 PM
well it's 4-0 now :grr:

Numeric
06-11-2007, 09:21 PM
5-0 now, Besiktas have been feeble...

Spacehopper
06-11-2007, 09:42 PM
there'll be 6 changes in the next match...............only jokin

great performance....benayoun was quality, gotta keep crouchy in the team

Microdot
06-11-2007, 09:58 PM
how the **** did the sc***ers lose to that shower away?
at 1-0 I said to the missus, this is gonna be a cricket score.

phantomdj
06-11-2007, 10:08 PM
watched the first half, then went swimming...

came back and it's 8-0....

You are right.... how on earth did they lose to any teams in that group....

they should qualify.

(ps not been on line so much as of late.... got a new job as a Q.S and just been rushed off my feet moving home, new gym, preparing others things etc...)

Spacehopper
06-11-2007, 10:11 PM
crouch came on with about 8 mins to go thats why.........as soon as he did we looked so much better........

they couldnt handle him from the start......his link up play with voronin and the midfield was class

Eddowion
06-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Chelsea were fortunate.

DJsmallpaul
06-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Champions leauge is getting beyond a joke, some right shower of shite qualified, even Scottish teams are doin well :briggin:

7-0's 8-0's i mean wtf ? that's not competitive football at the highest level is it

Microdot
06-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Chelsea were fortunate.

very

djfase
07-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Champions leauge is getting beyond a joke, some right shower of shite qualified, even Scottish teams are doin well :briggin:

7-0's 8-0's i mean wtf ? that's not competitive football at the highest level is it

True.

The format needs changing now i think.
3rd and 4th place teams should not be in there

Eddowion
07-11-2007, 08:51 AM

And Platini wants to reduce the number of teams from England, Spain etc and replace them with extra whipping boys........wtf

Microdot
07-11-2007, 12:19 PM
here's a crazy idea.
how about we have a tournament that you only qualify for if you win your domestic league.
we could call it "The European Champions Cup".
then, the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th placed teams could all go into a tournament called the UEFA Cup.
now, here's the clever bit. we could start a new competition thats jsut for teams who have won their major domestic cup. it could be called the European Cup Winners Cup..........genius!

oh, hang on a minute.....

digitalboy
07-11-2007, 12:21 PM
True.

The format needs changing now i think.
3rd and 4th place teams should not be in there

but thats how teams will be able to compete in the future, by getting a slice of the money, since thats what football has become about.

A lot of these teams, even from the bigger leagues don't enjoy the kinds of revenue the english teams get from TV rights and so forth.

Oh and by the way paul, the top 2 scottish teams have always faired ok in Europe.:;

Numeric
07-11-2007, 12:44 PM
the Champions League should be for the champions and runners up only, the rest can play in the UEFA Cup...

basslinejunkie
07-11-2007, 12:50 PM
i agree

Numeric
07-11-2007, 02:51 PM
And Platini wants to reduce the number of teams from England, Spain etc and replace them with extra whipping boys........wtf

Platini is a cock, was a great player though...

Microdot
07-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Oh and by the way paul, the top 2 scottish teams have always faired ok in Europe.:;

apart from the entire 90s of course.

phantomdj
07-11-2007, 04:45 PM
champions only.... not runners up...

why should runners up be there....

champions are champions, not runners' up...

you only say that because you assume man utd will be 1st or 2nd.....

Numeric
07-11-2007, 04:47 PM
it gives the runner-up a consolation prize which i think is fair...

digitalboy
07-11-2007, 05:14 PM
well then they need to pump more cash in the UEFA cup, because the gulf of class was all too apparent.

But i'll stick by my guns and say this might be better in the long run

Lets take Copehagen for instance, if you can get yourself in the goup stages you can get yourself some money and build on it.

Microdot
07-11-2007, 06:51 PM
champions only.... not runners up...

why should runners up be there....

champions are champions, not runners' up...

you only say that because you assume man utd will be 1st or 2nd.....

statistically the safest bet in any sporting event anywhere in the world.

Numeric
07-11-2007, 09:43 PM
four nil to United against Dynamo Kiev tonight, good result, Sir Alex made a lot of changes, Fletch, Carrick, Simpson and Nani did well and Pique scored which was nice...

i just hope we don't field weakened teams in the next two games and end up qualifying second as has been the case in seasons past...

Microdot
07-11-2007, 10:58 PM
four nil to United against Dynamo Kiev tonight, good result, Sir Alex made a lot of changes, Fletch, Carrick, Simpson and Nani did well and Pique scored which was nice...

i just hope we don't field weakened teams in the next two games and end up qualifying second as has been the case in seasons past...

I have absolutely no doubt that Utd will field weakened teams in the next 2 CL games. except this team, we'll still win the group.

don't forget we've got this rediculous freindly to play in Saudi Arabia in January and the oil barons have paid good money to ensure at least 4 or 5 big names will be playing.
Ronaldo, Rooney etc will need all the rest they can get.

Numeric
08-11-2007, 09:16 AM
Sir Alex is definitely showin these pretenders how to rotate and still win games :)

basslinejunkie
08-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Sir Alex is definitely showin these pretenders how to rotate and still win games :)

hahahahahaha

hes showing it how its done eh?yet u said previously hes dicked up your first position many a time by rotating in shite players,which has then ultimetly cost you your place in the competition.hhhhhhhm.

Numeric
08-11-2007, 10:07 AM
to be fair the team that played last night was still strong, and with the quality that United have in their squad there's a difference between rotating and fielding a weakened team...

phantomdj
08-11-2007, 01:00 PM
statistically the safest bet in any sporting event anywhere in the world.

no...

how about... ferrari being 1st or 2nd in the world is a safer bet...

or federer being 1st or 2nd far more safer...

or phil taylor....

there are many many sports....

so i hope you were not being serious....!!!

and yeah, if it is a champions league, then only the champions should qualify ..... not runners up because they lost and are winners of nothing.....again, you only want runners up in there because you hope man utd would be either 1 or 2.... so dont be a hypocrite.... it's either a champions league or it isnt...

it wont happen.... money is the issue and it will continue as it is...

Numeric
08-11-2007, 01:34 PM
i disagree (and it has nothing to do with United finishing second)

as a showcase of the greatest football teams in Europe the runners up from the top leagues should also be included...

phantomdj
08-11-2007, 05:01 PM
i disagree (and it has nothing to do with United finishing second)

as a showcase of the greatest football teams in Europe the runners up from the top leagues should also be included...

then you must understand that it cannot be called the champions league because the runners' up are not champions....

so it should be called the two-tier euro cup....

two tier, being champions and runner's up....

it should be only the champions ..... showcase? liverpool, arsenal, man utd, chelsea all have that 'showcase' appeal to the masses around the world.... so your showcase argument does not hold.

Numeric
09-11-2007, 11:39 AM
it's not really an argument it's just my opinion mate...

Eddowion
09-11-2007, 12:00 PM
From a "Purist" point of view, The Champions League shpould only be for the champions. However, I'm not a purist, I think todays system is Ok.
Firstly, last years champions are seldom this years best team and secondly, I want to see Arsenal play in it every year.

Microdot
09-11-2007, 03:44 PM
no...

how about... ferrari being 1st or 2nd in the world is a safer bet...

or federer being 1st or 2nd far more safer...

or phil taylor....

there are many many sports....

so i hope you were not being serious....!!!

statisitcally, you're actually completely wrong.

since 1992 Man Utd have failed to finish in the top 2 places only 3 times.
in that same period, Ferrari have failed to finish in the top 2 places 6 times.
as for federer, as far as I know, he doesn't get to the final of every tournament he enters, so it's a stretch to claim that one.
like I said, Utd finishing in the top 2 is statistically the safest bet in world sport.

and yeah, if it is a champions league, then only the champions should qualify ..... not runners up because they lost and are winners of nothing.....again, you only want runners up in there because you hope man utd would be either 1 or 2.... so dont be a hypocrite.... it's either a champions league or it isnt...

it wont happen.... money is the issue and it will continue as it is...

I never said I thought the runners up should be in the champions league.
if you read back over the thread, I was the first person to post that only the champions should be in the champions league, so before you bandy words like hypocrite around willy nilly, at least know what the fcuk you are talking about son, otherwise you might just make yourself look a right silly cunt.

phantomdj
09-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Bull microdot...

federer coming 1st or 2nd is meant for being world number one!

who determined the time constraints???? let's set the parameters for the last 200 years..... Oh, then the safest bet is liverpool to win the league is it because they won more titles than the rest of the league? you just twisted my first point. So no, Man Utd are not the safest bet

this bet is based on current form over the last few years and possible dominance in the next few years. You are not a cut above the rest like some in other sports.

liverppol are a safer bet to get to the champions league final than man utd.... how do you like that one? or does your philosophy break down here?

as for the last point, i was addressing numeric. - ie all the manc points in one go.

Microdot
09-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Bull microdot...

federer coming 1st or 2nd is meant for being world number one!

who determined the time constraints???? let's set the parameters for the last 200 years..... Oh, then the safest bet is liverpool to win the league is it because they won more titles than the rest of the league? you just twisted my first point. So no, Man Utd are not the safest bet

this bet is based on current form over the last few years and possible dominance in the next few years. You are not a cut above the rest like some in other sports.

liverppol are a safer bet to get to the champions league final than man utd.... how do you like that one? or does your philosophy break down here?

as for the last point, i was addressing numeric. - ie all the manc points in one go.

in the last 3 years, Utd and Ferrari have both been outside the top 2 once each.

Utd are a deep gash above all but 2 of the other teams in the premiership.

Numeric
09-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Utd are a deep gash above all but 2 of the other teams in the premiership.

:laughing:

word

Eddowion
10-11-2007, 09:59 AM
And they're better than most of the teams in the other divisions too.

278d7e64a374de26f==