PDA

View Full Version : FIFA wants foreign players quota

BloodStar
07-11-2007, 09:38 AM
I am not sure what to think of it. Deffinitely it will get worse for all football fans, and also for many clubs, Chelsea, Arse, Man. Utd,,......
bit surprised, sir Alex supports it>
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/7080436.stm

Esox Lucius
07-11-2007, 10:19 AM
who cares what nationality your players are, as long as they play well for your club that is all that matters.

Eddowion
07-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Kick out all the foreign players immediately.........then the championship would become the premiership.......whoopiedo!!!
While we're at it.........don't stop at footballers........kick out foreign nurses, brickies, postmen, etc, etc, yawn..............wake me up when you reopen the gaschambers.

Microdot
07-11-2007, 12:13 PM
I am not sure what to think of it. Deffinitely it will get worse for all football fans, and also for many clubs, Chelsea, Arse, Man. Utd,,......
bit surprised, sir Alex supports it>
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/7080436.stm

Utd would be affected the least of just about every prem club I can think of. especially now they don't have loads of Irish and welsh in the squad.

one thing's for certain though, if they do pass this ruling, we won't be seeing any english clubs in the CL final (or even semis for that matter) for the foreseeable future.

the foreigners rule is what crippled Utd in europe in the mid 90s, mainly because Giggs and Hughes both counted as foreigners, despite both being products of Utd's youth system. Keane and Irwin also counted as foreigners, and I think the limit was 4.

Numeric
07-11-2007, 02:50 PM
for once i don't totally disagree with what Blatter is sayin, five home grown players in a starting line-up doesn't seem too harsh to me...

i agree that it's important for a team to have a solid base of players from their respective home country...

Will
08-11-2007, 07:22 PM
It depends where these players would come from, if you could just buy them it could be bad since it would favour the richer teams and make English players even more expensive. If they all had to be products of the youth academy then I bet that would shut Fergie up!

Microdot
09-11-2007, 09:07 AM
It depends where these players would come from, if you could just buy them it could be bad since it would favour the richer teams and make English players even more expensive. If they all had to be products of the youth academy then I bet that would shut Fergie up!

if they all had to products of the team's youth system, arsenal would be ****ed.
as it is, arsenal would suffer the most of the top four. that's why arsene's so against it.
tbh, I don't think it'll happen. someone told me the other day that, because of the laws regarding freedom of movement for EU members (the laws that are under review) ALL the clubs would have to agree for football to be made an exception of some kind. not sure how true that is, but if so, that's it ****ed from the start. arsenal, liverpool and bolton are 3 teams I can think of off in this country who would never supprt it.

Will
09-11-2007, 05:02 PM
I bet we've played more English products of our youth system in the Carling cup than Man U have - and we're still in it.

Microdot
09-11-2007, 05:27 PM
I bet we've played more English products of our youth system in the Carling cup than Man U have - and we're still in it.

so

Eddowion
10-11-2007, 10:15 AM
ALL the clubs would have to agree for football to be made an exception of some kind. not sure how true that is, but if so, that's it ****ed from the start. arsenal, liverpool and bolton are 3 teams I can think of off in this country who would never supprt it.
Just been looking at the league table, I think Fergie would be in a minority of 3, along with Derby and Reading

278d7e64a374de26f==