PDA

View Full Version : has it all gone a bit too ravey?

ds2
09-11-2007, 03:19 PM
there seems to be a lot of clubs these days that are putting on as many djs as they can at their nights and giving them anything from 30 mins to 1 hour to play.

is it just me or has it all gone a bit too ravey, is it a knock on effect from the hard house to techno mass bandwagon jump of a few years ago?

there's a party i've seen that's on this weekend where mark eg is playing for 30 minutes. what's the point in that? :whoops:

conflict
09-11-2007, 04:15 PM
no point what so ever

teknorich
09-11-2007, 04:25 PM
I grew up in the Happy Hardcore and Hardcore techno scene, so I'm used to shorter sets. I don't really want to see a DJ play for 4 hours, just can't get my head round it. But I'd say the minmum should be an hour, maybe the optimum 2 hours?
30 mins is a waste of time. He'll hardly be warmed up when it'll already be time to mix out for the next guy...

eyeswithoutaface
09-11-2007, 04:30 PM
yeah it can take a good 15-20 mins to get into the swing of things sometimes, the minimum set should be 1hr 30 mins, maximum, whatever really, some of the best sets i've seen have been the longest. Dave Clarke did a wikid 4 hour set in Manchester about 6 years ago that stand's out in my memory

nuclearaudio
09-11-2007, 04:41 PM
hes playing in 2 rooms at the evnt and was only put on in the techno room because he requested to play , he is doin a hardstlye set in the main room fro 40 mins and a techno set for 40 mins , pretty cool i'd say ,

variety is the spice of life

nuclearaudio
09-11-2007, 04:44 PM
and hes playing the last set of the night so wont be anyone on after him ,

didnt mark do a 21 minute to know on radio one , was pretty amazing how he managed to showcase the kind of techno it was in so little time , maybe this will have the same effect in a 40 min set,
?

ds2
09-11-2007, 05:02 PM
i'm not knocking your night, whatever works for you i guess. i just used mark's set as an example of one of many right now.

it's just not what techno's about for me. i grew up seeing people like jeff mills, fumiya tanaka, rob hood and even sven vath play 3 hours upwards and have the whole club eating out of their hands with no one leaving the dancefloors all night.

The first time BMB played for us in 2004 with Female they did something like 4 1/2 hours and that ranks as one of the best sets i've ever heard. And yet Surgeon's on in Leeds next week playing on a line up of 8 djs/live acts in the space of 7 hours. :whoops:

i must be getting old.

Numeric
09-11-2007, 05:03 PM
i was really diggin the 21 Minutes to Know set but a lot of folk on here dissed it...

with rich on the set times, hour mimimum but four hours seems excessive...

The Overfiend
09-11-2007, 05:13 PM
I think you need at least an hour to get open.
Unless the crowd is specifically there to get their heads bashed in right off the bat.

DannyBlack
09-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Personally i dont mind that, the Kommunity boys gave me and filthmonger 45 minutes each a while back because they had 2 headliners. i was delighted, its all good like.

Lag
09-11-2007, 06:17 PM
why the hell wouldnt they do that?
30 min means everybody gives their best stuff away
always look on the bright side of life :]

Stella Boy
09-11-2007, 06:41 PM
30 min means everybody gives their best stuff away

classic :laughing:

wenna
09-11-2007, 07:10 PM
no problem for me whatsoever!

Little_Fella!
09-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Yeah, I do think that playing for 30 mins does mean that you have to get your big guns out straight away, but I suppose this is what promoters are wanting for the punters, as well as increasing the number of bigger names on the rosta...

Plus I suppose this gives players who aren't as well established, in relation to the level of popularity of the headliners, a bit of elbow room for once... which I'm sure those particular artists are rather pleased for this to be the case... :;

Tiptoe
09-11-2007, 08:03 PM
i love plaing my 30 mins every few months :-0

MARK ANXIOUS
09-11-2007, 08:08 PM
yeah well it was either 1 hour in the hard dancey room or ask if i could cut it down and play some techno too hehe. i know what you guys would do if you were in that situation hahahah :)

Little_Fella!
09-11-2007, 08:14 PM
So as an artist you have to way up the pros n cons of such a set up...

Do you give up the chance to show how you can create and craft a set that has dynamic progression for the chance of some exposure amongst what you would class as higher circles within your chosen genre...:icon5:

I personally would feel that I was finishing my set before I'd even started, so I certainly would not have that sense of creative satisfaction thus making the experience seem a little hollow and lacking in achievement...

Technobitch
09-11-2007, 08:18 PM
yeah well it was either 1 hour in the hard dancey room or ask if i could cut it down and play some techno too hehe. i know what you guys would do if you were in that situation hahahah :)

well you know which room ill be dancing to you in hahahaha

Little_Fella!
09-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Having said that I would certainly prefer to have 30 mins pounding away with my chosen genre of music, rather than no minutes at all...:mrmyagi:

dirty_bass
09-11-2007, 08:33 PM
short sets suck.
It`s the equivalent of one of these compressed TV adverts.
Just Bam.
No subtlety, no journey, no ups and downs, it merely drives DJ`s to play the more commercial stuff, and leaves little room for experimentation.

Might as well join the pop music industry.

You see these adverts in london all the time for house and garage.

40DJs
35 MCs!!!!!!
No trainers, no caps, no hoodies, no guns, no knives, no crack, no fun, just give us your money, stick yer head through the door for 5 mins and then **** off, cos we just wanna spend the takings on coke!!!

ComputerControlled
09-11-2007, 08:34 PM
i'm not knocking your night, whatever works for you i guess. i just used mark's set as an example of one of many right now.

it's just not what techno's about for me. i grew up seeing people like jeff mills, fumiya tanaka, rob hood and even sven vath play 3 hours upwards and have the whole club eating out of their hands with no one leaving the dancefloors all night.

The first time BMB played for us in 2004 with Female they did something like 4 1/2 hours and that ranks as one of the best sets i've ever heard. And yet Surgeon's on in Leeds next week playing on a line up of 8 djs/live acts in the space of 7 hours. :whoops:

i must be getting old.

i wouldn't worry too much about it - variety is the spice of life as they say.

these days it's harder to fill clubs than it used to be, especially techno events. and people paying to go to clubs just want value for money so booking more artists makes sense when filling events, especially the bigger ones where more is at risk. and either way, it just depends on the night doesn't it? and who's on.

surgeon is playing in two hour set in leeds next week. nothing wrong with that. he played for three hours for us last and he was awesome, people loved it. but i still think that these days most would be just as happy to hear him for one hour if the dj/live act following on from him was just as good.

30 minutes is a bit ridiculous though. i agree with you on that.

Technobitch
09-11-2007, 08:37 PM
just like playing back to back though init, only get 30mins then and most are happy to do that

i do think that some of the massive line ups do look silly , but its what the paying public want, loads of djs for half the price

long as the dj's themselves dont mind doing it and have a good time playing their set then its ok with me :cheese:

ds2
09-11-2007, 08:57 PM
short sets suck.
It`s the equivalent of one of these compressed TV adverts.
Just Bam.
No subtlety, no journey, no ups and downs, it merely drives DJ`s to play the more commercial stuff, and leaves little room for experimentation.

Might as well join the pop music industry.

You see these adverts in london all the time for house and garage.

40DJs
35 MCs!!!!!!
No trainers, no caps, no hoodies, no guns, no knives, no crack, no fun, just give us your money, stick yer head through the door for 5 mins and then **** off, cos we just wanna spend the takings on coke!!!

i tihnk that's the first time i ever agreed with you :briggin:

eyeswithoutaface
09-11-2007, 09:00 PM

hahahaha hilarious, and so true

The Overfiend
09-11-2007, 09:20 PM
hahahaha hilarious, and so true

Seconded, but funny as hell!

ds2
09-11-2007, 09:30 PM
surgeon is playing in two hour set in leeds next week. nothing wrong with that. he played for three hours for us last and he was awesome, people loved it. but i still think that these days most would be just as happy to hear him for one hour if the dj/live act following on from him was just as good.

30 minutes is a bit ridiculous though. i agree with you on that.

glad to hear it, i want to catch him and speedy j next week if i can.
just hope they're both on at different times.

...Dave...
10-11-2007, 09:35 AM
short sets are bollox.

whats the point in playing less that an hour?

minimum should be 90 mins.

as for the idea of if someone plays 30 mins they play all the best tunes....thats hillarious:laughing: laughed my cock off then.

Lag
10-11-2007, 11:38 AM
i think you should all put yourself in the average joes shoes whos coming to a party

RDR
10-11-2007, 12:46 PM
i think you should all put yourself in the average joes shoes whos coming to a party

Agreed, its the punters that pay the bills after all. Although there has to be a balance for sure. I would say putting on a good show is more important than arguing over 30-60mins.

Some DJs really can cut it in 30mins. Some cant. Careful planning is what is important.

rubberduck
10-11-2007, 09:22 PM

i must be getting old.

Alright Paul. I'm pretty gutted to be reading this to be honest after I offered to help promote you night by putting your posters in takeaways etc for nowt. And for the record I think your techno lineups are some of the most cutting edge in the UK - so respect on that front.

Generally my nights have acts that play live and therefore I think that an hour is respectable but at the end of the day this is dictacted by the artist.

For Saturday 17th Event at West Indian Centre the running order for the Room 237 room is:

22:00 - 23:00 Daz Quayle
23:00 - 00:00 Rob Hall
00:00 - 01:00 Sleeparchive
01:00 - 03:00 Surgeon
03:00 - 04:00 Mark Broom
04:00 - 05:00 CC DJ b2b P45

Hopefully you can come along

ds2
10-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Alright Paul. I'm pretty gutted to be reading this to be honest after I offered to help promote you night by putting your posters in takeaways etc for nowt. And for the record I think your techno lineups are some of the most cutting edge in the UK - so respect on that front.

Hopefully you can come along

i'm definitely coming next week, looking forward to seeing surgeon and speedy j up the road if they're not clashing.

i wasn't having a go at anyone's events at all, it just seems like there's suddenly loads of nights putting long line ups on with much shorter sets which is something i've not seen for years since the big rave days. it's not something i'm into personally but that doesn't mean it doesn't work for others.

it was the nuclear audio line up that made me think about it more, i just used the surgeon gig next week as another example.

dubs
11-11-2007, 06:16 PM
30 mins gives no room to play a particularly interesting set. More like wam bam thankyou maam. I wouldn't bother with an event like that even if it had great dj's across the bill.

...Dave...
11-11-2007, 08:27 PM
30 mins gives no room to play a particularly interesting set. More like wam bam thankyou maam. I wouldn't bother with an event like that even if it had great dj's across the bill.

agree with that.

Tiptoe
11-11-2007, 09:06 PM
lol so if we had awakenings over here where they follow that format you wouldn't go because the dj's only on for an hour. bullshit!

RDR
11-11-2007, 09:12 PM
30 mins gives no room to play a particularly interesting set

Dont agree with that AT ALL. any DJ worth their salt better well have a 30min set in their arsenal.

ive said it before and ill say it again. If you cant perform as a DJ no matter what the circumstances then get the F off the decks. There is plenty of oporunity for a DJ in that time.

Careful planning and intelligent plays.

Mucky Beats
11-11-2007, 09:19 PM
I think hour sets are fine... i know 30mis is a bit silly, but some times 30 mins of a good dj can be fun, but i do think now that djs should be given 1hr minimum. Is always nice to have your main headliner on for a hour and a half or 2hrs... but dont think its about how long there on more who's on, if there are 5 class headliners that all flow for 5 hrs rather than 2 warm up djs and 1 headliner then i think id enjoy the 5 headliners more at times... its all in who you book i think.

on marks set on sat i was there for it and he played a blinder and really impacted the crowd and played bout 10mins over i think after we all gave the sound guys so much shit for turning it off at 4am that they cranked the rig back on ... hahaha

Stella Boy
11-11-2007, 11:38 PM
marks set on sat i was there for it and he played a blinder and really impacted the crowd and played bout 10mins over i think after we all gave the sound guys so much shit for turning it off at 4am that they cranked the rig back on ... hahaha

perhaps he should have had a longer set then :briggin:

ds2
12-11-2007, 09:06 AM
lol so if we had awakenings over here where they follow that format you wouldn't go because the dj's only on for an hour. bullshit!

awakenings is a big f*ck off rave - see thread title :laughing:
i can't say i'm a big fan either, travel all that way to see the 2 or 3 djs that are worth seeing but they only play for an hour. no thanks, i'd rather wait til they play a club and do a proper set.

anyway, each to their own. like i say i'm not a fan but others obviously are and NA sounds like it was packed out so best of luck to them and others. it's good to see more and more techno parties getting packed out again and more new nights cropping up.

Frank Dogshit
12-11-2007, 01:18 PM
ive never been to an awakenings yet where they play for less than 1 hour and 30. usually been 5 djs playing from 9 - 7am

and as for 30 minute sets....waste of time and the main reason why i wont attend events similar to this. i bet it takes someone all of about 20 seconds to decide what set hes going to play beforehand.

Si the Sigh
12-11-2007, 03:04 PM
2 hour sets should be standard IMO. I want a DJ to take me on a journey, not bash out the big hitters...

DannyBlack
12-11-2007, 04:24 PM
personally i just love music, so if i have to play it in 30 minutes or 3 hours- i will. im not painting the mona lisa or crafting an art installation, im whipping out beats, whatever timeframe i have is the timeframe i have.

rhythmtech
12-11-2007, 04:32 PM
2 hour sets should be standard IMO. I want a DJ to take me on a journey, not bash out the big hitters...

well said.. hour and a half at the very least.

fatcollective
12-11-2007, 04:38 PM
i like an 1 hour an half/ 2 hours, plenty of time to get in to it and show people what your all about!!

clubsynthetic
13-11-2007, 01:09 AM
Yeah, sets under an hour are a bit annoying for the dj who just gets into it by the time he ends his/her sets end and the fact that the crowd wants a journey. The only time one should see a 20 min set is at the DMCs.

The awakenings this year in holland (the one in july or march or something i think) lasted from 12 till 12 and i was chewing my puss off so i can't mind how long each DJ played for.

It is a shame sometimes i have seen hardcore clubs in edinburgh ram in the guests to get punters and that doesn't even pack it out on the occasion i was there.

why have a 5 minute look at a good piece of art when you can look at it for 300?

Jay Pace
15-11-2007, 01:32 PM
After 20 minutes I run out of records and have to play b-sides. Who plays for an hour? Tis not human...

Kokotorobot
22-01-2008, 10:30 PM
i personally have a problem with these longer journey type of dj sets where they try to dramatically plan a set...starting with slower tunes and getting into the peak then slowing...always bothered me, just boring really, leave that for the car or your headphones

i go out to party, i mean it should be 110% full on from start to finish, with max 1 min interesting fillers inbetween to calm down a bit before rinsing it out again...really in the moment, straight in your face

no ambient no psychedelia

but then again, im radical and weird, so take this as a maximally biased opinion

A.P.
22-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Totally agree with ya mate.

robin m
23-01-2008, 12:01 AM
Shorter sets are fine with me in their place, depends what the DJ's about. Totally true there's no point surgeon or someone playing for less than an hour but if someone's got a particular angle they want to hammer for 30-45 mins that can work too. Take ghettotek, I'll dance my tits off to it with a bit shiteating grin for half an hour but keep it up much longer and it gets a bit thin.

Playing half an hour can be a good experience, you don't have to go in thinking you've got to cram in all the big hitters you'd normally spread over 90 minutes - instead take a very particular sound that you maybe couldn't pull off as well or would wear thin over a longer set and really go to work with it.

I've got nothing against a lineup with 3 or 4 shorter sets each with a distinct attitude all built around a centrepiece 2 hour headliner... you can have both worlds in the one night. I totally agree about those A5 flyers you see with 10 bajillion names packed into 2 rooms though, sod that.

module
24-01-2008, 02:57 AM
i'll do any gig really..

when i used to dj, i would do a QIKMIX thing where if i was only playing an hour (or under) i would trick & chop & bang thru as many tracks & tricks as possible.. jus ****in leather it.. if i got 2 hours or more, i could get really into it break it down & go somewhere & do all that shit..

a good act adapts to their situation.. i always ask when ppl 'book' me.. its the same with the lappy now.. ig i got 60 mins or less, i'll give it the balls.. if i got around 2 hours, i'll plan some places to go & do that journey bollox..

jus get over it & play the bloody music lol

module
24-01-2008, 02:59 AM
oh.. and ****ing scratch techno djs.. PLEASE.. no more than 45 minutes.. honestly.. its gets really realy thin..

Aratron
24-01-2008, 11:06 AM
there seems to be a lot of clubs these days that are putting on as many djs as they can at their nights and giving them anything from 30 mins to 1 hour to play.

is it just me or has it all gone a bit too ravey, is it a knock on effect from the hard house to techno mass bandwagon jump of a few years ago?

there's a party i've seen that's on this weekend where mark eg is playing for 30 minutes. what's the point in that? :whoops:

joke really

wrong
24-01-2008, 11:47 AM
I believe if the time you've been given to play your set in forces you to compromise what you're gonna play then thats a bad thing.... I lose track of the ammount of times i hear things like ' yeah i was only playing an hour and i was tucked in between dj x and dj y so i just banged it'.. And i include myself in having said that.. If you've got some music that you know is gonna work the dancefloor but isn't 'straight up' then you need time to introduce it.. like changing your clothes.. start planting bits and bobs around the place, maybe add a hat... then slip off the gloves.. when the smoke machine's on really thick change your jumper , then finally, when the crowd 'aren't looking' you can whip your trousers off, on with ya bermudas and hey presto.. you've changed and the crowd haven't noticed but now you can do what you like cos you're in your comfortable clothes! Its hard to do that in an hour, let alone half; hence the temptation to stay wearing the last dj's clothes often wins when playing short sets. boo
(apologies for the metaphor)

...Dave...
24-01-2008, 02:47 PM
I believe if the time you've been given to play your set in forces you to compromise what you're gonna play then thats a bad thing.... I lose track of the ammount of times i hear things like ' yeah i was only playing an hour and i was tucked in between dj x and dj y so i just banged it'.. And i include myself in having said that.. If you've got some music that you know is gonna work the dancefloor but isn't 'straight up' then you need time to introduce it.. like changing your clothes.. start planting bits and bobs around the place, maybe add a hat... then slip off the gloves.. when the smoke machine's on really thick change your jumper , then finally, when the crowd 'aren't looking' you can whip your trousers off, on with ya bermudas and hey presto.. you've changed and the crowd haven't noticed but now you can do what you like cos you're in your comfortable clothes! Its hard to do that in an hour, let alone half; hence the temptation to stay wearing the last dj's clothes often wins when playing short sets. boo

priceless:lol:

clubsynthetic
24-01-2008, 03:51 PM
in my opinion, techno works best when you layer a shit load of subtle changes within the frequencies you're hearing. I think to do this best you can't do this with a short set, as it takes time for these frequencies to manifest into what they are becoming. Contrary to what short, choppy, "going for it" 1/2 Hour sets seem to try to do, i find them the opposite and usually boring.

I get why DJs have to adapt, but whats the point in booking them in the first place if one is asking them what to do? If thats the case play yourself!

Little_Fella!
25-01-2008, 08:09 PM

Yeah, great metaphor that and so true... if you've just obtained some new and interesting tunage that is more where your at, or have some stuff that you would be more keen to play that isn't the usual barnstorming, then it would be very frustrating to know that you don't have the time to experiment with the crowd to see if they get it or not...

So the dilemma is set and as you say, the tendency is to play it safe so that you don't create any negative feedback on your 'half hour of "fame"... definitely boo!! :rucrybaby:

Little_Fella!
25-01-2008, 08:16 PM
in my opinion, techno works best when you layer a shit load of subtle changes within the frequencies you're hearing. I think to do this best you can't do this with a short set, as it takes time for these frequencies to manifest into what they are becoming. Contrary to what short, choppy, "going for it" 1/2 Hour sets seem to try to do, i find them the opposite and usually boring.

I get why DJs have to adapt, but whats the point in booking them in the first place if one is asking them what to do? If thats the case play yourself!

I agree with this... the point of techno when I first started listening to it at parties is that each of the elements of a track would be subtely brought forward and focused on throughout the mix...

...an amazing sound would become apparent late on in a track, which you would get off on, only to realise on listening again, at home say, that that particular sound had been running through the track all along... hmmmm:coffee:

djshiva
26-01-2008, 06:47 AM
a monkey can beatmatch for 30 minutes.

i wanna see someone who can go from one place to another, who can build a set, pull it down and build it right back up again.

i mean, i have always compared djing to sex, so i shall extend the metaphor...would you rather have sex for 30 minutes? or for several hours?

then again, maybe this isn't a metaphor for a lesbian to use in a room full of boys, eh? ;) i do have the advantage, after all. ;)

koma
26-01-2008, 09:45 AM
i mean, i have always compared djing to sex, so i shall extend the metaphor...would you rather have sex for 30 minutes? or for several hours?

then again, maybe this isn't a metaphor for a lesbian to use in a room full of boys, eh? ;) i do have the advantage, after all. ;)

garnier also said once, dj-ing is like sex, you can't f*ck all the time, you have to go up and down :xcool:

wrong
26-01-2008, 02:42 PM
garnier also said once, dj-ing is like sex, you can't f*ck all the time, you have to go up and down :xcool:

exactly... you need troughs to accentuate the peaks

clubsynthetic
29-01-2008, 03:13 AM
yeah. You don't feel like you have reached the summit till you climb there.

Does anyone, 'tho, think it's true that the anticipation can be greater than the thing your anticipating?

jon connor
29-01-2008, 10:54 AM

sad sad sad sad sad ! is there about 15 promoters all on the same night squashing all there sets together ,so they can b on the same bill as mark and go on forever wanking with delite wilst spunking in there own faces. the daft bastrds........ GOD I MISS THIS PLACE!

RDR
29-01-2008, 11:57 AM
sad sad sad sad sad ! is there about 15 promoters all on the same night squashing all there sets together ,so they can b on the same bill as mark and go on forever wanking with delite wilst spunking in there own faces. the daft bastrds........ GOD I MISS THIS PLACE!

:lol: @ SPunking in their own faces..

:lol: :lol:

eyeswithoutaface
29-01-2008, 12:05 PM

the scene has always been like that though mate to be fair, far, far too many people who think associating with their hero's or artists bigger than themselves will somehow give them added kudos when in reality they dont have the talent to hold themselves up in the water

jon connor
29-01-2008, 03:15 PM
the scene has always been like that though mate to be fair, far, far too many people who think associating with their hero's or artists bigger than themselves will somehow give them added kudos when in reality they dont have the talent to hold themselves up in the water

crikey! how the bloody hell is an artist supposed to express himself in 30 mins ? jesus christ , talk about apearence money ?

anyway hows yall doing ere nice to back by the way nutters....

278d7e64a374de26f==