PDA

View Full Version : power problems!!! argh!

stjohn
12-11-2007, 03:58 PM
my computer seems to be blowing a fuze everytime i plug it in!! ive tried a few different cables. some blow a fuse, another blew the fuse in the cable (i think) because i smelled a burning smell.. im hope i havnt blown something in the PSU, but it seems one of the pins on the PSU is a bit burnt too!!

bloody nightmare!! :whoops:

has anyone got any words of wisdom that might help me out?

dan the acid man
12-11-2007, 04:20 PM
hmm, could be a number of things, is there anything metal that's touching the motherboard? any stray screws ?

nothing been put into the psu has it? a quick shake of your pc will let you know if there's any screws around as you will hear them (in theory unless they're jammed in)

check to make sure the voltage hasn't been changed on the back of your psu, although usually if that happens they go with a big flash and bang

stjohn
12-11-2007, 04:36 PM
no loose screws no..

last night there was a bit of a bang fizzle wheni plugged it in, i thought it was at the wall socket tho, im not 100%

thanks for the quick reply tho dan

rhythmtech
12-11-2007, 04:51 PM
has anyone got any words of wisdom that might help me out?

yeah.. get a bloody new one on warranty.. tis only a few weeks old int it?

stjohn
12-11-2007, 04:54 PM
hmm no.. about 2 years

rhythmtech
12-11-2007, 05:04 PM
serious????????

shit.. time is going waaaaay too quickly :(

Barely Human
12-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Sounds like either one of 2 things to me. PSU problem, or motherboard problem. Try a bit of trial and error to get to the bottom of it. I would get a cheap PSU and chuck that in to see if that works, if it does then get a new and decent psu, if it blows then its probably the motherboard fried unfortunately.

stjohn
15-11-2007, 06:21 PM
got it sorted. i replace the psu with a more powerful one and all seems to be ok!! ok..now to begin backing up :ohdear:

thanks for all the help

278d7e64a374de26f==