PDA

View Full Version : Gerrard says his club is less important than his club.

Microdot
15-11-2007, 02:36 PM
sure all those liverpool supporters who pay his wages will be overjoyed to hear that.
he also wheels out the old "foreigners in the premiership" excuse for why England are shite.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2211231,00.html

Gerrard wants quotas to help young English talent

· England captain fears foreign future for top sides
· Country more important than club, says midfielder

Kevin McCarra
Thursday November 15, 2007
The Guardian

Steven Gerrard expects to be in anguish when he watches the Croatia and Russia games that could eliminate his country from Euro 2008 but there is an even greater apprehension when he peers into the future. The Liverpool captain does not shy away from a vision of a deeper decline for the England side and adds his name to the list of those alarmed by the number of overseas signings in the Premier League.

"I believe," he said, "that if foreigners do take over completely it will make things even worse for the national team." Gerrard backs a quota scheme, despite the difficulties of developing a system that complies with European and national laws.
"I'm all for that," he said. "I support the Liverpool academy now and I am desperate for another young player to come through into the Liverpool team. I support that in the national team as well. There's a big danger that we stop producing quality young kids because of the amount of foreigners in the game."

Gerrard must realise the dangerous territory he is entering. He and Michael Owen were the last English teenagers of the highest quality to emerge at Anfield and the club has felt compelled to look further afield. The Liverpool line-up for last weekend's game against Fulham contained three native players and the composition of the reserve side is similar.

While he is no rebel, Gerrard cannot help but sound at variance with his club manager, Rafael BenÃ*tez, who has authorised the cosmopolitan recruitment policy. The player, of course, appreciates the realities: "You've got to understand the manager's situation going into big games."

On the whole, top-flight managers do not trust in youngsters. But Gerrard said: "Kids will only turn into good players if they are given the chance. I would not be sitting here without the chance that Gérard Houllier gave me."

Idealism is gripping the midfielder, possibly because jeopardy in the Euro 2008 qualifiers underlines how much is at stake. Gerrard does not hesitate to declare international football a greater priority. "When I join up with England these games are bigger than Champions League games or league games," said. "You're representing your country. If you go to a major tournament and play well or achieve something as a team it's going to be a lot bigger than achieving something at your club."

This sort of talk will exasperate BenÃ*tez when Liverpool are struggling in their Champions League group. The club's owners might find such views toxic and Anfield fans could have different aims from Gerrard. He will not budge. "Maybe that is supporters being selfish," he said, "but as a player you want to play in the biggest games. Those are European [Championship] games and World Cup games."

Tomorrow Gerrard has to settle for the friendly in Vienna, when he will captain the national team in the absence of John Terry. Joleon Lescott is expected to partner Sol Campbell in central defence, with Micah Richards and Wayne Bridge at full-back. David Beckham could start instead of Shaun Wright-Phillips, who will restart training today after a minor ankle knock.

The goalkeeper Scott Carson should make his international debut. Apart from that, McClaren must rule on whether Frank Lampard displaces Gareth Barry in midfield. Michael Owen is to be paired in attack with Peter Crouch. Owen Hargreaves misses the trip to Austria but will rejoin the squad for next Wednesday's qualifier against Croatia if his knee problem responds to treatment.

Saturday's programme, however, dominates everyone's thoughts. Should Russia win in Israel while Croatia take a point in Macedonia, those two countries will proceed to Euro 2008 at England's expense.

Gerrard reiterated his backing for the manager, Steve McClaren, and argued that blame for bad results has lain with the players. He realises that he and the rest of the squad will come in for hostile treatment at Wembley should the meeting with Croatia be meaningless.

"If we don't get [to Euro 2008]," he said, "we are going to be in for a difficult night, which is understandable. You've got to take it on the chin. It's not going to help the team if we are going to be jeered at. I would plead with the fans to stay with us. I'm an England fan as well and I do understand them being frustrated if we don't qualify. They are the best supporters out there and they do want to go to [Euro 2008]."

Numeric
15-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Gerrard's a c**t, heard somewhere that he blanked Voronin when he went to high five him during the 8-0 game, what a t**t...

Eddowion
15-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Maybe he could have said his club is more important than his club.

Microdot
15-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Maybe he could have said his club is more important than his club.

:laughing:
yeah, didn't spot that till it was too late.
I think folk will know what I meant if they use their intelligence.....

on second thoughts..........

Aratron
15-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Gerrard's a c**t, heard somewhere that he blanked Voronin when he went to high five him during the 8-0 game, what a t**t...

yeah **** Gerrard. Bigger a twat as Terry.

Eddowion
15-11-2007, 10:29 PM
yeah **** Gerrard. Bigger a twat as Terry.
Terry Who?

Eddowion
15-11-2007, 10:32 PM
yeah, didn't spot that till it was too late.
I think folk will know what I meant if they use their intelligence.....

on second thoughts..........
Must admit, i thought Gerrard had said something really dumb until i read the article:ohdear:

Numeric
16-11-2007, 09:27 AM
:laughing: get nick to sort it out innit...

phantomdj
16-11-2007, 12:56 PM
if that is true then why does he only really try for liverpool.....

very few care about playing for england in the patriotic sense....

personal glory and vanity is more likely....

like russia said, we don't deserve to qualify...

numeric.... unless u prove it, then not much point in mud slinging ;)

Numeric
16-11-2007, 01:20 PM
ofcourse there's point :laughing: if ever an opportunity presents itself to sling mud in the general direction of kopites there's point :;

french_og
16-11-2007, 01:50 PM
I think Gerrards point is that there is good young english players not getting the opportunity coming through the ranks.. I was watching 'You're on Skysports' a couple of weeks ago and there was a die hard Liverpool fan who watches all Liverpools games including the reserves and he said there is a brilliant young English player who had been playing well for ages in the reserves yet never gets an opportunity yet other foreign youngster like Lucas who does not play as well as him gets the opportunity. Do you think Gerrard or Carragher would of got the opportunity as youngster if Benitez was manager then? I don't..

The quota won't come in anyway as it breaks the EU rules on employment..

Microdot
16-11-2007, 04:46 PM
I think Gerrards point is that there is good young english players not getting the opportunity coming through the ranks.. I was watching 'You're on Skysports' a couple of weeks ago and there was a die hard Liverpool fan who watches all Liverpools games including the reserves and he said there is a brilliant young English player who had been playing well for ages in the reserves yet never gets an opportunity yet other foreign youngster like Lucas who does not play as well as him gets the opportunity. Do you think Gerrard or Carragher would of got the opportunity as youngster if Benitez was manager then? I don't..

The quota won't come in anyway as it breaks the EU rules on employment..

tbh, that has more to do with the way Benitez manages the team than the number of foreigners in the premiership.

As for the EU rules on employment, they are under review soon and could include amendments that allow football clubs immunity.
That's why FIFA are trying to get this happening right now, while the opportunity is there.

Microdot
16-11-2007, 04:53 PM
if that is true then why does he only really try for liverpool.....

very few care about playing for england in the patriotic sense....

personal glory and vanity is more likely....

like russia said, we don't deserve to qualify...

numeric.... unless u prove it, then not much point in mud slinging ;)

although it's true that Gerrard is usually a bag of shite when he pulls on an England shirt. I don't think he actually tries harder for Liverpool.
It's more likely that the Liverpool team is built around him more than the England one.
as for proving that Gerrard is a cunt:-

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VR-hXYn2pA0

I rest my case....

Richierush
17-11-2007, 10:35 PM
think about it would you rather win a major cup with your club team or a world cup with your country that hasnt won it for years,seen as a hero by the whole country or just 1 set of club fans,i wonder cause i no what id rather win :laughing:

Eddowion
17-11-2007, 11:57 PM
I wouldn't mind winning a raffle.
As for Gerrard, he should do his stuff on the pitch and keep his mouth shut.
It goes with the territory, a footballer opens his mouth and nothing of worth comes out.

Microdot
18-11-2007, 01:47 AM
think about it would you rather win a major cup with your club team or a world cup with your country that hasnt won it for years,seen as a hero by the whole country or just 1 set of club fans,i wonder cause i no what id rather win :laughing:

as a fan I'd rather see Utd win the charity shield than see England win the world cup.
don't see how I'd think any differently as a player.

Richierush
18-11-2007, 06:02 PM
well if ud rather see them win the charity shield then u cant be much of an england supporter,now if u said the CL i might understand as you havnt won it in so long

Microdot
18-11-2007, 06:22 PM
well if ud rather see them win the charity shield then u cant be much of an england supporter,now if u said the CL i might understand as you havnt won it in so long

sorry, did I say "charity shield"? I meant to say "a throw in".

Richierush
18-11-2007, 08:42 PM

278d7e64a374de26f==