PDA

View Full Version : Little Fella! - 'Mindspeak' (re work)

Little_Fella!
15-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Been working on this and have incorporated the ideas that youz have put forward, so thank you for that...:)

http://www.speedyshare.com/215602729.html

Have a slight problem with the sub-line popping under compression, making room for the kick- not sure if mi sound card aint up to it, or whether it's because the release is quite long...

Little_Fella!
16-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Please use this linky instead... :)

http://www.speedyshare.com/876621249.html

dirty_bass
16-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Sidechain clicking is probably more to do with having too short a release and too heavy on the threshold and ration.
could also be a problem with the attack, and also what you are sidechaining too might not be hitting on the beat exactly.

anyway.

Obviously I`ve heard this before, so I know what the coup is.

Production wise

where did all the bass go?
there`s no sub on this at all.

Also I feel the breakdown doesn`t really contribute too much to this tune, although I have heard this tune a lot, so I`m used to things, it seems to provide little addition to the progress of this tune other than to fill the requirement of a breakdown.
There`s no build, or drive to keep interest, and it might be a "what do I do now?" moment for the dancefloor.
I`d think about halfing it`s duration.

Things still feel a little dynamically limited, and for a tune as minimal as this, there should be plenty of "air" and space in which the sounds can really puff out their chests.

The main riff does get a little too nagging after a while too, a counter point to it would help to keep interest.

I`d say you`ve overworked this tune, as I know it`s an oldie and has been revised a lot.

my best advice would be to zero the desk, and reset all the EQ`s.

then bring in the main groove (kick, hats, bass), get that sounding big, and clean.
Then really work on the main synth, getting it to fit in the groove nicely.
Then bring in the other elements, cutting them into the mix with EQ.

Little_Fella!
17-11-2007, 03:26 AM
Gah...

Yeah, took the sub line out coz I was having problems with the popping and thus controlling the total output level was proving difficult... I'm low filter cut on both bass and sub lines through a bus, at 39.9hz bi bout 6db i think, and then low filter on the master the same... is this good policy?

Will work that back in to the mix and bring it all in as recommended...

Was thinkin' about the length of the break and it is too long now that changes occur more frequently than the first draft... although I was maxing the idea of it being a 'break' from the drive, your right that the dancefloor wouldn't appreciate it...

....."Again!!!!" - heh heh :briggin: ...cheers for that:cool:

dirty_bass
17-11-2007, 11:33 AM
I wouldn`t say you shouldn`t have general policy for how you set the low cut, except that you always need one on the master out.
The amount of cut and the frequency will effect it, but so will the curve of the filter ie, 8v, 12v, 16v etc
a cut between 30-40hz is always good policy, otherwise you are just wasting precious headroom on inaudible frequencies

I tend to cut no higher than 36 unless for a very very specific reason, as there are usually some nice kick enhancing sub-tones at around 37-39

Little_Fella!
18-11-2007, 04:19 PM
I wouldn`t say you shouldn`t have general policy for how you set the low cut, except that you always need one on the master out.
The amount of cut and the frequency will effect it, but so will the curve of the filter ie, 8v, 12v, 16v etc
a cut between 30-40hz is always good policy, otherwise you are just wasting precious headroom on inaudible frequencies

I tend to cut no higher than 36 unless for a very very specific reason, as there are usually some nice kick enhancing sub-tones at around 37-39

Aha... I will bear this in mind

As for the lack of sub - - dopey draws here had knocked both mixer and bus EQ's right down on the sub, for some strange daftness...

Cheers Steve....:cool:

dirty_bass
18-11-2007, 08:01 PM
doh!!

Siege
19-11-2007, 08:52 AM
I rememember hearing this last time u posted it up....on headphones at the moment so cant really comment on production.Basically Steves already pointed out what u need do with regards to production....so yeah,just go through the mixdown again and maybe tweak the arrangment a little,see how u go on.

278d7e64a374de26f==