PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Bass - Le Dernier Combat

dirty_bass
20-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Made this while I was making new stuff for my Dirty Bass pa.
It never made it into the pa, ended up in the reject bin, but I finished it as a matter of working through for production technique.
There`s something about it that doesn`t work though, it feels a little too smooth to me, or too fast maybe, not sure really.

http://iterativemusic.com/db/Dirty%20Bass%20-%20Le%20Dernier%20Combat%20(Master).mp3

BRADLEE
20-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Reminds me of something I heard a long time ago. The whole bit really...Pads...Acid Tpye bit...Is the arp a preset maybe? Maybe it reminds me heavily of an Orb song or something. Like the stuff from around 1994-1997 era. Engineering wise sounds quite fine though.

stjohn
20-11-2007, 10:33 PM
alors... c;est un chanson formidable!!

:)

i enjoyed it.. balance is spot on. personally, i felt it could do with some action in hi-mid area.. you know, some percy clonks or something.. i kinda felt the same with the massive attack one too!!

dirty_bass
20-11-2007, 11:22 PM
Well, the massive attack one was a very tradition bootlegg, ie, take original song, stick a kick underneath it.

But yeah, I was thinking of ripping out the second chordal pad and sticking something else in it`s place. A proper hooky synth or something.
Tried a few things but nothing seemed to work.
I think percussion might just be the trick, I`ll give it a whizz 2morro and see how it sounds.

dirty_bass
20-11-2007, 11:23 PM
Reminds me of something I heard a long time ago. The whole bit really...Pads...Acid Tpye bit...Is the arp a preset maybe? Maybe it reminds me heavily of an Orb song or something. Like the stuff from around 1994-1997 era. Engineering wise sounds quite fine though.

Reminds me more of 1999 primate stuff to be honest, but your sarcasm tastes lovely!!!

that`s why it was in the reject bin.

BRADLEE
20-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Reminds me more of 1999 primate stuff to be honest, but your sarcasm tastes lovely!!!

that`s why it was in the reject bin.

I really wasn't being sarcastic Steve....Just telling you my thoughts.

dirty_bass
20-11-2007, 11:41 PM
That`s ok, I really don`t mind, I won`t throw a wobbly, you can call it the king shit of king shitsville if you like, it is your right as a resident of a land with free speech.
However, this sound of techno wasn`t really around until the late 90`s, so if I am regurgitating anything, it`s from 1998-99 maybe, ala Jericho, Primevil, Jel Ford, bryan zentz and danilo vigorito, maybe sway too.

BRADLEE
20-11-2007, 11:51 PM
That`s ok, I really don`t mind, I won`t throw a wobbly, you can call it the king shit of king shitsville if you like, it is your right as a resident of a land with free speech.
However, this sound of techno wasn`t really around until the late 90`s, so if I am regurgitating anything, it`s from 1998-99 maybe, ala Jericho, Primevil, Jel Ford, bryan zentz and danilo vigorito, maybe sway too.

Why are you so touchy dude? Yes I do agree, does sound in the likes of Jel Ford and the stuff on Jericho a bit...I was just referring to the noises specifically when I mentioned the Orb. I really think you're taking it in the wrong contexts...

And in the mid/late nineties there was stuff with this type of sound. Just was usually passed off as Trance or something in that realm; rather than being called techno at that time.

dirty_bass
21-11-2007, 12:01 AM
Oh no, I`m not being touchy, just banter really.
I agree the noises are orb like, kinda unavoidable really, using a prophet emulator to make the noises.
More reasons why this is a reject bin number.
Anyway, a good lesson in production.

Hmmm do you have any examples of trance that sounds like this?
I don`t recall any except maybe plink plonk records.
I`d love to hear some though
Link me up baby!!!

rhythmtech
21-11-2007, 08:08 AM
first thing that strikes me is that this is way to "nice". the overall production is, as you said, too smooth.

i agree with rory that a little bit of mid percussion would bring it to life more.

its a nice little tune but i definitly think it needs more doing to it to bring it up to your usual standard.

all the right noises are in the right places but theres just something that needs doing to lift it to the next level a bit.

dirty_bass
21-11-2007, 10:38 AM
Yeah, it seems like a small oyster to me.
Goes down real easy without touching the sides.

I was actually going for a sorta Blunted Boy Wonder style Dubby techno groove.
But it all ended up slick and jazzy.

Siege
21-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Cant add much to whats already been said, but i like it and think its well worth sorting.

audioinjection
21-11-2007, 06:04 PM
this definitely reminds of the old techno/acid sound......sorta detroity i'd say, kinda dirty sounding but clean at the same time.....maybe its my speakers haha i dont know, but cool track man

dirty_bass
21-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Cheers man, I think I`m gonna keep the bass groove and the hats, and dump everything else.

278d7e64a374de26f==