PDA

View Full Version : The Vinyl Appreciation Thread!

Si the Sigh
21-11-2007, 03:27 PM
I love the vinyl’s art work on the label and sleeve, instead of the impersonal scrawls in black marker pen upon a blank CDR. I like looking through peoples record collections.

I love the way it feels, nothing beats that ‘traditional’ hands on approach instead of spinning a Pioneers’ CDJ plastic disc.

I like walking into a club with a record bag/box, and people spotting you, knowing you’re entertaining them tonight, not arriving with a CD wallet, or even worse the DJ’s that turn up at clubs with their CD wallet in their record bag/box and nothing else bar maybe their jumper in case they get cold later (yes, they know they’d look a cunt turning up with just a CD wallet! J )

I like the way vinyl shopping is exciting, waiting for tunes to arrive in the post, or the whole social aspect of hanging around record shops meeting like minded people, and more musical mad heads, not clicking buy now, and burning some poor quality tracks to CD.

I like the way vinyl can’t be pirated as easy as MP3’s.

What do you love about vinyl? Let’s big it up! :briggin:

dirty_bass
21-11-2007, 03:44 PM
I love music.
I don`t care what it comes on really, but the sagging floor in my loft seems to say I have a lot of vinyl.

the thing I like about vinyl is that you can balance the vinyl with your index finger under the hole, and then spin it round, like a basketball.

massplanck
21-11-2007, 03:50 PM
My brain cant handle trawling through list of ****.mp3 files or shitloads of yellow folders. I need artwork as visual clue/reminders or where/what tracks to play. etc

And it sounds better.

Si the Sigh
21-11-2007, 03:59 PM
the thing I like about vinyl is that you can balance the vinyl with your index finger under the hole, and then spin it round, like a basketball.

[high-five mode]

Word! :cool:

[/high-five mode]

dirty_bass
21-11-2007, 04:00 PM
My brain cant handle trawling through list of ****.mp3 files or shitloads of yellow folders. I need artwork as visual clue/reminders or where/what tracks to play. etc

And it sounds better.

Yeah, I do truly hate scouring mp3 sites.
Some places have got it right, like boomkat.

The best thing about a record shop (a decent one) is getting given stuff you might not normally look at, but the shop dude thinks might go with what you ask for

DannyBlack
21-11-2007, 04:00 PM
i love having shit loads of vinyl and the way at drunken sessions you stagger down stairs drunk as hell the weight of all that plastic makes you stumble rather than walk. I love the nervous anticipation of my first track on vinyl (one day).
And i love waiting on the local record shop getting a job lot of hard techno.
I love trawling throught the second hand record shop collection for strange and obscure loops and old 70's disco classics.

I love music more than anything in the world, especially when its on vinyl.

massplanck
21-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Yeah, I do truly hate scouring mp3 sites.
Some places have got it right, like boomkat.

The best thing about a record shop (a decent one) is getting given stuff you might not normally look at, but the shop dude thinks might go with what you ask for

Its not even the mp3 sites though. Its the big long list of mp3s in tracktor etc.. i cant put the names of tracks to 'songs' if you know what i mean. esp when there are 1000's of them. Its like skimming through a big ugly phone book/database. Except your meant to be able to remember what every song sounds like from its name.

Tracktor should have a virtual crate function i reckon with jpgs as visual clues. Even records I have been playing for years. I can tell you what label they are on & who they are by , but i wouldn't know the 'name' of them.. just what side of the record they are on.

Humans respond better to visual clues.

stjohn
21-11-2007, 04:53 PM
i love when u get too out of your head and have Vinyl with you at a party and think all of a sudden your Dj Scratch-tastic, where ur actually Dj Monged-out-ShitMix

Louk
21-11-2007, 04:54 PM
I love vinyl, i love playin and usin a record to fan myself when leapin round and djin on a mashed one.

Louk

audioinjection
21-11-2007, 06:57 PM
love it when u take 100 records to play a gig and u only end up using like 15 or 20 haha

fils_here
21-11-2007, 07:54 PM
it's black & shiny!! hehe... no i mean you've actually got something not just a file waiting to be burnt to cd, the sound quality is better than some 320 kbps file!

APC
21-11-2007, 10:33 PM
I like the way I can prop it up near a radiator then come back and find it is a new shape, never before seen on this earth,

MITA
21-11-2007, 11:43 PM
like the trip to write on it with marker and make special cues with stickers
and i like it cause dirty bass likes it ofcourse

BRADLEE
22-11-2007, 12:35 AM
There's just something about it...we all know that...

Si the Sigh
22-11-2007, 07:48 AM
I like the fact you can make a boombastic ashtray out of them once they are scratched beyond belief.

dirty_bass
22-11-2007, 01:04 PM
The best thing is when you get a pressing factory error, and you find that the label isn`t stuck to the vinyl properly, so you begrudgingly peel it away to reveal exactly the same label, fixed correctly to the vinyl underneath!!!

It`s like finding a fiver in your jacket pocket that you forget about.
Pure Joy!!

Si the Sigh
22-11-2007, 01:48 PM
The best thing is when you get a pressing factory error, and you find that the label isn`t stuck to the vinyl properly, so you begrudgingly peel it away to reveal exactly the same label, fixed correctly to the vinyl underneath!!!

It`s like finding a fiver in your jacket pocket that you forget about.
Pure Joy!!

Ha! :cheese:

So very, very true....

davethedrummer
22-11-2007, 03:05 PM
i just hate shopping for mp3s
buying them is just a pain in the ass , no shop assistants to maybe throw something wild into the bag....
pages and pages of words and numbers but nothing thats easy for you to remember
mp3s don't exactly " jump of the shelf" and say "buy me."
you have to go find them.
and mostly ,you have to know what you are looking for.

BUT ...they have their uses, and once you get into using the net shops browsing and search facilities it'sa nota so bad

but you do find yourself going down the same old corridors all the time
never finding anything " new "

gimme a 12" any day as they say.

RDR
22-11-2007, 03:08 PM
I like it when they come fresh out of a packet and you see those little off cuts sticking to them

And the smell of fresh vinyl of course!!!!

And when the label is off centre and it 'wobbles' whilst rotating. Making you feel slightly queezy.

TechMouse
22-11-2007, 03:11 PM
but you do find yourself going down the same old corridors all the time
never finding anything " new "
That's where sites like OiNK are pretty good.

Certain tracks lead to similar other tracks, so you discover lots of new stuff.

benjames
23-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Vinyl is simply the most hands on way of dj'ing, you can do 5hit mixing vinyl that you would never even dream about in traktor

Lag
26-11-2007, 01:04 AM
you can hurt people with vinly and mp3 cant do that :S

Si the Sigh
26-11-2007, 08:00 AM
you can hurt people with vinly and mp3 cant do that :S

:) :) :)

...Dave...
26-11-2007, 08:42 AM
i love the way it takes up so much room in my house and having to carry a big heavy box of tunes about.

fantastic

eyeswithoutaface
26-11-2007, 09:13 AM
Vinyl is simply the most hands on way of dj'ing, you can do 5hit mixing vinyl that you would never even dream about in traktor

think you've got that the wrong way around son, you can do things with ableton and reaktor that you physically will NEVER be able to do on decks. Unless you were superman, which im guessing your not

the thing i really love about vinyl is taking your prized records to gigs, turning your back on your bag for 1 minute and turning back to find the majority of your records stolen

lovely feeling!

278d7e64a374de26f==