PDA

View Full Version : Crawling back to techno

AcidTrash
24-11-2007, 08:28 PM
It's been a long time since I had any time for techno. I've not had the opportunity to make much since I have very picky neighbours and no space to have all my kit out. Things are about to change though. I've just sold my house and am looking to move to somewhere where I can resume my techno habit.

I'm looking for some music to start me off. The last thing I remember of note was DTD's Hotwire because of it's sense of fun that is so lacking in contemporary dance music.

I've had a look round the forum for things that might grab me but much of it has degenerated into pretentious minimalism and uber serious techno which in my view has completely missed the point of techno. The acid techno releases Ive tuned into seem to be same old same old, especially where geezer is concerned. Can't beleive he's still rinsing that same drum loop.

I've heard some of the techstyle mixes which combine acid, nrg and techno and really click with it. Can anyone recommend something. I like pummeling beats, rattling percussion, slick vocals and grainy atmospheric synths like Ant used to do.

Any hints appreciated.

nihilist
26-11-2007, 05:16 PM
I've had a look round the forum for things that might grab me but much of it has degenerated into pretentious minimalism and uber serious techno which in my view has completely missed the point of techno. The acid techno releases Ive tuned into seem to be same old same old, especially where geezer is concerned. Can't beleive he's still rinsing that same drum loop.

how true glad someone's found the bollox to come out and say it

Si the Sigh
27-11-2007, 07:48 AM
No, not really. I've been saying it for ages. It's just that I come across as a moaning old cunt and get cussed down for it regularly.

UK acid techno is at an all time low.

I like you can't believe some of the stuff Guy McAffer is still putting out. It's such a tired old sound. And the mad thing is, people must think I hate Guy or something as I always seem to be having a dig. I don't, infact I loved his stuff. Some of his old releases are absolutely amazing, and still sound 100 times better than anything he's knocking out now. The old sound, before the mass use of PC's to create music, the sound where hardware had to be pushed to the limits, was the best sound. I so want to see that sound back. That was a real UK thing, something to be proud of.

Get rid of this link to hard dance and get back on the old skool tip I say. Get rid of the boring overly compressed loops, get back to the mad sounds, quirky percussion, and haunting acid lines.

force
27-11-2007, 10:24 AM
It's been a long time since I had any time for techno. I've not had the opportunity to make much since I have very picky neighbours and no space to have all my kit out. Things are about to change though. I've just sold my house and am looking to move to somewhere where I can resume my techno habit.

Oh c'mon pete, don't you think its time you called it a day?

nihilist
27-11-2007, 06:05 PM
my main gripe is the way to many people are splitting techno into genre's, most punters for some reason seem to like minimal techno these day's if it's not 'minimal' they dont give it the time of day. i think the acid side of things feeling left out has tryed to group in with hardance/hardcore and hard trance,the hardies liked it for a bit but now they are bored with acid.

to me techno is techno all genre's of it, i remeber going to nights like atomic jam where there would be all types of techno, if you didnt like a peticular set you went for a wonder then returned to dance floor later. atomic jam has now gone minimal only and has been for years. It survives because of it's huge name but the punters that go only go there on the whole cus to them that is techno, they dont here anything else.im sure AT isnt the only night to have done this.

tocsin
29-11-2007, 03:58 PM
my main gripe is the way to many people are splitting techno into genre's, most punters for some reason seem to like minimal techno these day's if it's not 'minimal' they dont give it the time of day. i think the acid side of things feeling left out has tryed to group in with hardance/hardcore and hard trance,the hardies liked it for a bit but now they are bored with acid.

Yeah. This really is the fault of artists and DJs though. It's not like one is forced to pigeonhole their sound. I think it's more of a business thing really. Sales have gotten tighter/slimmer on the old formats, and the established artists are thus playing it very safe to maximize what profit they think is left. Then, a lot of new blood just kind of follows their lead. If anything, that really just opens the doors up to new blood that doesn't give a **** and explodes the formula break down.

nihilist
29-11-2007, 04:52 PM
yes i agree with that to a point, and totaly agree about the money side

278d7e64a374de26f==