PDA

View Full Version : MINIMAL techno

Dustin Zahn
06-12-2003, 02:11 AM
It's become quite big in our area over time. I was always into it before I was into the really percussive stuff but I find myself lately at the shop picking up more minimal than the percussive stuff. It seems to be so much more innovative than the rest of the dance genres lately and theres great stuff coming out every month. Anyone else on the same page?

icb
06-12-2003, 09:49 AM
Minimal techno is my favorite, but I like also other forms of techno, anyway `the harder the better`, but here where I live that`s the common thinking. just keep it that way;)

DJZeMig_L
07-12-2003, 01:59 AM
Minimal is the ART... I'm up 4 a mixture of different stuff but regis/ Savinto/ R. Hood/ J. Beltram/ Mills r people who generally don't go wrong...

I was heavily into this about 5-6 years ago, but I've always been into ever since.. but I thing u definatly have 2 work'em on the mix.. gimme minimal music but not "minimal" djing ;) eheheh..

Also the classics are just as up2date today has they were then... check out gimnastics by regis or JB3 closegrind...

Z

Sunil
07-12-2003, 08:08 PM
It's become quite big in our area over time. I was always into it before I was into the really percussive stuff but I find myself lately at the shop picking up more minimal than the percussive stuff. It seems to be so much more innovative than the rest of the dance genres lately and theres great stuff coming out every month. Anyone else on the same page?

Which stuff are you referring to.. Kompakt, Trapez, Force Inc etc? Some of that's really nice stuff..

Dustin Zahn
07-12-2003, 09:34 PM
Yes, this along with Matthew Dear, Ricardo Villalobos, Perlon, Sender, etc.

Not all of it is great, but thats how it goes with every genre.

miromiric.
07-12-2003, 09:46 PM
hehe so many different definitions of what minimal is....

Dustin Zahn
07-12-2003, 11:46 PM
yeah, quite a broad term. :)

i like more than just these minimal labels or artists though.

The Overfiend
07-12-2003, 11:58 PM
2 lone swordsmen is good stuff imo.
jb3 was one of the first real techno cd's I ever had.

miromiric.
08-12-2003, 12:03 AM
2 lone swordsmen=? *gg*

Tony
08-12-2003, 02:18 PM
see, i think villalobos, sender, cytrax, perlon etc when i think minimal, but that has such a large connection to house, prob enough to scare most techno fans away.
it seems here that most people think of the darker industrial edge as minimal. two lone swordsmen did do some nice minimal techno, yet very instrumental stuff (stockwell steppas, nice!!) but since have obviously changed course quite a bit.
some more minimal for those who might not be aware::
geoff white
background records
chain reaction
stewart walker
dan bell
akufen
luciano
cabanne
ark
i think some of us will agree with this, others may question our definitions of minimal. but it all fits anyway :-)

professor
08-12-2003, 02:51 PM
I prefer the minimal sound. But like Ze Migl said, minimal djing sucks...especially when they are playing minimal tracks.

Tony
08-12-2003, 03:50 PM
sorry dude but you must have seen people who were shit! i went to some clubs around berlin and saw many of the big names in minimal techno\glitchy house and i honestly couldnt stop dancing all night (i dont do drugs either) the place was full of really nice people and loads of nice women all non stop dancing. the dj'ing was flawless and the grooves where just relentlessly edited.

or do you mean something else by minimal dj'ing because you mention 'if they are using minimal tracks'? please explain ;)

justin schumacher
08-12-2003, 06:25 PM
i seen Dan Bell in detroit, and he was slammin.
totally got me into the minimal sound

Dustin Zahn
08-12-2003, 06:59 PM
No, I see where ZeMigL is coming from. We have minimal here, all over the ****ing place. It gets a bit boring sometimes. A lot of minimal dj's don't progress in their set. Just mixing one minimal record into another. I prefer minimal for the home instead of club...but sometimes I really enjoy it when I go out.

As for Tony, yes I've heard of many of those artists/labels and quite a few of them are very wicked!

The Overfiend
08-12-2003, 08:18 PM
i seen Dan Bell in detroit, and he was slammin.
totally got me into the minimal sound

Dbx Loosing control carl craig remix wowsers on peacefrog back in the day

djteknobrat
08-12-2003, 09:45 PM
I think there is really good Minimal techno comming out
of GERMANY.

That Luciano and Gamble is pretty hot.
Also Cabane on Telegraph.
The new Carola vs Cisco Ferrera is pretty Dope Minimal on Zenit 016

And from the States Dreamlife EP on Plus 8 deom Joe Manu and ESP.

Peace

Teknobrat !!!

:love: minimal !!!

professor
08-12-2003, 09:51 PM
Sorry Tony...

What I was talking about was a dj who just blends a minimal track in an chills. No doubles tricks...no fader tricks...no eqing like crazy...just sit there with there feking head down looking at the mixer with their headphones on...not reading the crowd...not dancing...not doing anything but blending minimal track into minimal track and so on...

djing minimal music is great...it's definately my favorite to play. So funky with room for real improv and experimentation.

DJZeMig_L
09-12-2003, 08:10 PM
ooops In guess my definition of minimal is a little more floor friendly, but yes I do love that Glitch house... but 2 me djing is lots more about managing the tension, euphoria, stoppin' and joy...

Glitch is more moody, laidback, funky clubby thing which I also luv but ain't so much my bag as a dj.. I see it more as a Bar/ start of the night thing...

Any1 got that Eduardo de la Calle - Detroid Mind Ep on TL Elektronics 73.1!!

It has a powerfull 2nd track ... just wack a funky slammin' chicago Beat/ vocal and clubarama!! :)

Z

timo
09-12-2003, 09:57 PM
minimal: http://www.timohummel.com/index-a-31.html
download the compressor junkie track

made this thing today, but i still haven't any clue what kind of music style it is - minimal would fit.

Tony
10-12-2003, 02:22 PM
Sorry Tony...

What I was talking about was a dj who just blends a minimal track in an chills. No doubles tricks...no fader tricks...no eqing like crazy...just sit there with there feking head down looking at the mixer with their headphones on...not reading the crowd...not dancing...not doing anything but blending minimal track into minimal track and so on...

djing minimal music is great...it's definately my favorite to play. So funky with room for real improv and experimentation.

i'm with you brother!! what you are describing is exactly the opposite of mark eg!!!!!!!
he's a monster, i'm surprised he didnt eat the dex at the end of his set!!!

jake
15-12-2003, 12:52 AM
sutekh (his live pa is sick), todd sines, jacek siekenwicz (hehe the polish robert hood) and jan jelinek all do it for me.. of course.. rob hood too

278d7e64a374de26f==