PDA

View Full Version : 10 hour dj set

davethedrummer
30-11-2007, 02:37 AM
i've got to do another one
suggestions please

planning / trax / toilets / food to avoid / which nostril to use etc etc ....

answers on the back of a postage stamp please dirty bass

rhythmtech
30-11-2007, 07:29 AM
employ a clone

Si the Sigh
30-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Laptop. Cut up and edit your last 10 hour set. Press play. Jiggle around. Sorted! hee hee! :)

Mucky Beats
30-11-2007, 10:02 AM
can you play the spoons? that would fill some time really nice

Si the Sigh
30-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Washboard?

MARK ANXIOUS
30-11-2007, 12:43 PM
i did a 15 hour set once. it killed me.

you know, i would take each part in like 2 hour chunks. that gives you 5 sets to think about. that'll be much easier if you're playing through the whole duration of the night cause you can do 1 2 hr set as a warm up, 1 2hr as a typical peak time dave the drummer set. then perhaps an old school set for 2 hours, then bang it again with peak timers for 2 hours and then just play newish but recognisable stuff (that everyone knows) for the last 2 hours as the sun comes up.

either way, good luck mate :xwink:

Tiny
30-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Seen Danny Tenaglia do a couple, and does a similar thing to what Mark has suggested. Does a few blocks of different styles, classics e.t.c Think the best idea would be to keep changing direction every couple of hours so that the crowd doesnt get bored of one particular sound.

Good luck though!

( see you on the 22nd in Cwmbran! ;0) )

DannyBlack
30-11-2007, 03:32 PM
play some of Kne deeps new releases- some mentaltorments- bit of classical- take pills cos you wont need to piss then- use the right nostril cos your left one is still blocked from that cold you just shook off (assumption)- get a couple of BBW's to bounce around on stage next to you- employ Rhyming Tits to wipe your brow- get a dwarf- get some sock puppet action going on up there- pretend you're Mark EG- actually now that i think on, why not do impressions of DJ's up on stage?- wear wellington boots because if you wee they will catch it and then you can sell it on ebay- why not get farm animals to eat like hay up on the decks, really rustik techno type of feeling- eat a record up on stage- be suspended from the ceiling for the whole thing- dress up as britney spears and every 2 hours give birth to a prosthetic baby- glue an extra 2 fake arms on and in the fake hands have glow sticks or hot dogs.

that should give you something to think about.

fatcollective
30-11-2007, 03:39 PM
start with your oldest records and build up to your newset records.

and make sure you dont fall over when ya need a piss this time hehehe!!

dirty_bass
30-11-2007, 04:17 PM
Get a catheter fitted.
And a colostomy bag.
Eat pasta before hand (cos you body processes it fully, and you don`t shit hardly anything)
Bypass your nostrils entirely and just use suppositries.

How the feck do you construct a 10 hour set????

I mean, your energy levels will be all over the shop.
Make sure you get at least 3 blow jobs during the set.

APC
30-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Half an hour, at least, of kareoke.

Drink only spesh brew, to limit the amount of pisses.

More ska.

Think of the first couple of hours as a "back to mine" type affair.

stjohn
30-11-2007, 05:11 PM
lucky ****in bastards!!! ive always wanted to do a 5hr set!!

i think thatd be the right amount of time to get the message across

Patrick DSP
30-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Imodium AD is a god send for extended dj sets. it's used to stop diarrhea but be forwarned, you won't shit for a day or 2.

The Overfiend
30-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Don't do any blow otherwise you will be shittin,
But if you absolutely do have to go shit play Plastikman Spastik.
You'll be good for a few minutes.

The Overfiend
30-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Yo Mark, Wtf Did You Get Rid Of Chow Yun Fat For?
That Smiley Face Is The Buttocks.

dan the acid man
30-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Just play some records and wave your hands about like god for a bit, sorted

Aratron
30-11-2007, 07:33 PM
all sounds a bit selfish and greedy imo. look at me . im playing a set for 24 hours.

give other people a chance innit

dirty_bass
30-11-2007, 07:49 PM
all sounds a bit selfish and greedy imo. look at me . im playing a set for 24 hours.

Although these kind of sets are ego feeders, do you not think that it was the promoters who asked henry for a 10 hour set?
So selfishness doesn`t really come into it does it, he`s doing his job as aksed (and indeed paid for)?

rhythmtech
30-11-2007, 07:50 PM

ill think you'll find its the promoter booking him not him "demanding" a 10 hour set :xrolleyes:

Aratron
30-11-2007, 07:54 PM
ill think you'll find its the promoter booking him not him "demanding" a 10 hour set :xrolleyes:

kk:xcool:

does he want an apprentice? i could skin up for him. set up a portable catheter etc

Aratron
30-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Although these kind of sets are ego feeders, do you not think that it was the promoters who asked henry for a 10 hour set?
So selfishness doesn`t really come into it does it, he`s doing his job as asked (and indeed paid for)?

well i guess if he is getting paid on an hourly basis then it makes financial sense.

Stella Boy
30-11-2007, 08:41 PM

my sense of humour has gone west recently but that is a joke, right ?

Stella Boy
30-11-2007, 08:44 PM

my sense of humour has gone west recently so I need to ask; that is a joke, right ?

edited due to incompetence in spelling

fatcollective
30-11-2007, 08:49 PM
my sense of humour has gone west recently so I need to ask; that is a joke, right ?

edited due to incompetence in spelling

not at all.

if it was me this is what id probably do...start with all the older records (not just techno, but all sorts) and build it right up to the freshest more banging tunes!!

Stella Boy
30-11-2007, 09:11 PM
oki doki.

I'm certainly not having a dig at you or anyone else who would chose to play such a set but to dismiss older tracks to the beginning, imo, does not make sense and shows a lack of imagination in set construction.

fatcollective
30-11-2007, 09:15 PM
yeah i kinda see what your saying, but its just something i would do...maybe start in 1997 and build it to 2007....each year of music could represent 1 hour!

davethedrummer
01-12-2007, 01:43 AM

and make sure you dont fall over when ya need a piss this time hehehe!!

tried that
it gets boring after a while

i like the blocks of 2 hour sets idea
i'm already thinking along those lines:

warm up : 3 hours
eclectic /minimal /electro

get on the floor : 2 hours
funky techno ( apex , whebba etc .....2 hours )

liveset : 2hours
hydraulix apex , old skool , acid techno , undiscovered old b side classix from my dat collection

punk ?

breaks?

demos ( i really want to do a demo/unsigned/unreleased section as i got so much good new stuff from mates)

what next?

aaaargh!

i know......toilet

davethedrummer
01-12-2007, 01:49 AM

erm i think you missed the point there mate
they ASKED me to do it

in fact if you read the book called " how to dj properly " by bill brewster which i did this weekend ,you'll see there is a section about all night sets

firstly they used to be the norm ( and still should be in the opinion of the author)

secondly it gives you a great challenge as a dj which most younger or newer djs miss out on due to the more is more attitude of modern club promoters.

so it's not a case of selfishness , its a club , they asked me specifically to do it and i've done one already so they wanted another simple as that.

put your smokin pistols back in their holsters my man

davethedrummer
01-12-2007, 01:51 AM
anyway i though it might make a change from the " vinyl or Mp3 " topic we seem to be into right now

dirty_bass
01-12-2007, 02:07 AM
How about an hour of swing?
Some Tony Bennet, Dean Martin, Count Basie

mattboyslim
01-12-2007, 03:08 AM
if i had ten hours to play with i'd definately journey away from techno for a few hours

dan the acid man
01-12-2007, 03:09 AM
and some burt bacharach

Aratron
01-12-2007, 03:15 AM
erm i think you missed the point there mate
they ASKED me to do it

in fact if you read the book called " how to dj properly " by bill brewster which i did this weekend ,you'll see there is a section about all night sets

firstly they used to be the norm ( and still should be in the opinion of the author)

secondly it gives you a great challenge as a dj which most younger or newer djs miss out on due to the more is more attitude of modern club promoters.

so it's not a case of selfishness , its a club , they asked me specifically to do it and i've done one already so they wanted another simple as that.

put your smokin pistols back in their holsters my man

just windin you up innit

tho i think i need the book.
can you send me a signed copy?

Chapter23 - How to StayUp All Night Playing mind bending techno music to ****heads.

Take lotsa drugs, er thats it . .

dirty_bass
01-12-2007, 05:34 AM
and some burt bacharach

Ah, the true experimentalist of the easy listening genre.
Bacharach is a dude!!

davethedrummer
01-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Ah, the true experimentalist of the easy listening genre.
Bacharach is a dude!!

i know what you mean
it's tempting , but believe me ,when you're there, it doesn't seem like such a good idea

lunatrick
01-12-2007, 10:25 PM
how much is the excess baggage going to cost? ;-)

The ideas so far seem good - break it into chunks...

maybe wind down with a bit of fsol or the orb......

lunatrick
01-12-2007, 11:51 PM
play some of Kne deeps new releases- some mentaltorments- bit of classical- take pills cos you wont need to piss then- use the right nostril cos your left one is still blocked from that cold you just shook off (assumption)- get a couple of BBW's to bounce around on stage next to you- employ Rhyming Tits to wipe your brow- get a dwarf- get some sock puppet action going on up there- pretend you're Mark EG- actually now that i think on, why not do impressions of DJ's up on stage?- wear wellington boots because if you wee they will catch it and then you can sell it on ebay- why not get farm animals to eat like hay up on the decks, really rustik techno type of feeling- eat a record up on stage- be suspended from the ceiling for the whole thing- dress up as britney spears and every 2 hours give birth to a prosthetic baby- glue an extra 2 fake arms on and in the fake hands have glow sticks or hot dogs.

that should give you something to think about.

you have a vivid imagination sir.......hard night on the donkey wobbler?

the_psychologist
02-12-2007, 09:37 AM
i've got to do another one
suggestions please

planning / trax / toilets / food to avoid / which nostril to use etc etc ....

answers on the back of a postage stamp please dirty bass

sheeit, play a block of the tunes that got you started. the real inspiration for what you all did with the London scene. the only problem is traveling with all those beauties. another advantage of digital DJing! bwahah.

rhythmtech
02-12-2007, 11:11 AM
start out with a original trojan ska set - then onto a bit of 2-tone and punk.. working up to big beat (get em in a party mood) then move onto electro house and work your way into techno and acid :)

tesora
03-12-2007, 11:23 PM
start out with a original trojan ska set - then onto a bit of 2-tone and punk.. working up to big beat (get em in a party mood) then move onto electro house and work your way into techno and acid :)

yea
i was going to say that
just start or finish the set with some ska and early reggae and why not some northern soul's classics !?

cant wait for this night !

davethedrummer
03-12-2007, 11:26 PM
yea
i was going to say that
just start or finish the set with some ska and early reggae and why not some northern soul's classics !?

cant wait for this night !

yeah a bit of ska for sure
but i've not got much on vinyl
bits on cd and that kind of thing

cheers for the ideas

acidguru
04-12-2007, 02:43 AM
How about some 70s/80s Disco stuff,Soccio,Moroder,Cowley,Sylvester etc??

rhythmtech
04-12-2007, 06:42 AM
yeah a bit of ska for sure
but i've not got much on vinyl
bits on cd and that kind of thing

cheers for the ideas

ive a pile of old trojan, bluebeat and 2-tone...

bang me an email with what you're after and ill get a folder uploaded for you.

when is the gig anyway?

Louk
04-12-2007, 01:24 PM
a locked groove and a djm800

10 hours of mashed up chaos

sorteeeed

ampassasinbirmingham
07-12-2007, 09:27 AM
My friend just emailed me to say she will be at this in brazil!

acidguru
07-12-2007, 06:33 PM
My friend just emailed me to say she will be at this in brazil!

Lucky girl..

TkN3o3
08-12-2007, 02:04 PM
hey man i seen the other 10 hour set and its was awesome, just go up there and break the lov.e apart doying what you do best, playing like you want to kill everybody and its gonna be another best party ever

looking foward for tonight

bayley
08-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Are u recording the set?? if so, u could literally release an Entire tape pack of the event from your set alone....

seriously tho, i think the idea of a progression from electro and minimal through to funky/hard etc is a logical idea.... it might be fun to randomize a bit more.... as in, building up then dropping off on a tangent every now and again and really springing the unexpected(if only for your own enjoyment and sanity), however that certainly coud be more easily said than done.... i have never been lucky enough to play a 10 hour set so i cant really comment from experience.... all the best luck anyway...

and as for the toliet situation..... pull ups are always an option....

(oh and its always gotta be the left nostril.... thats a no brainer!!! )

Adey
10-01-2008, 12:40 PM
i did a 15 hour set once. it killed me.

you know, i would take each part in like 2 hour chunks. that gives you 5 sets to think about. that'll be much easier if you're playing through the whole duration of the night cause you can do 1 2 hr set as a warm up, 1 2hr as a typical peak time dave the drummer set. then perhaps an old school set for 2 hours, then bang it again with peak timers for 2 hours and then just play newish but recognisable stuff (that everyone knows) for the last 2 hours as the sun comes up.

either way, good luck mate :xwink:

was that some punishment tape for the CIA to play to Islamist teroorists they have in some black bunker in the polish countryside?

Image 15 hours with exactly the same drum kick over and over and over, no proper basslines and only filters to break the utter endless monotony.

Sounds like my worse nightmare

MARK ANXIOUS
10-01-2008, 01:13 PM
was that some punishment tape for the CIA to play to Islamist teroorists they have in some black bunker in the polish countryside?

Image 15 hours with exactly the same drum kick over and over and over, no proper basslines and only filters to break the utter endless monotony.

oh well cheers for that hahaha

you can always stay outside and have a wank instead :lol:

MARK ANXIOUS
10-01-2008, 01:17 PM
no actually that 15 hour set as an ambient/electronic set.. the only time i ever played a 4/4 kick was for the last 30 minutes. aphex twin/autechre/b12/fax/warp all the way. was one of the best things i've ever done..

conor256
10-01-2008, 05:52 PM

im interested in finding out more about this black bunker......... tell us more..... maybe markEG is part of the CIA.......... you are not doing my paranoia any good with these type of suggestions.... ;)

force
10-01-2008, 07:15 PM

Hooray!!!
Adeys back with his unique brand of highbrow wit.

God ive missed you, made any decent tunes lately :lol:

Adey
11-01-2008, 08:54 AM
I aim to please :)

written anything except derivative mediocrity recently?

rhythmtech
11-01-2008, 11:06 AM

acidthrash vanishes and adey appears.. coincidence? or conspiracy?

force
11-01-2008, 12:50 PM

You've never heard anything i've ever written you ignorant ****tard.

Twat off and have a wonky wank!

WONKER!

DannyBlack
11-01-2008, 02:01 PM

i have written nothing but that!

:lol: marco bailey kisses his bisceps whilst dropping phat bombs on the wheels of steel.

davethedrummer
11-01-2008, 02:58 PM

WONKER!

oh man!
rising to the bait!

force
11-01-2008, 03:09 PM
oh man!
rising to the bait!

nah, just wanted an excuse to call somebody a wonker.

Little_Fella!
13-01-2008, 04:46 PM

WONKER!

Adeys back!! ....quick - grab a net, never mind gabbin' on Darren!! heh heh
:oicamereyou:

I like Adey...

Aratron
13-01-2008, 05:25 PM

:lol:
nice ot see you back Adey. you gonna join us in the acid forum dude?

barry_fyasko
18-01-2008, 11:55 AM
i reckon def plug in some breakbeat just to, er, break it up a bit. it works wonders and when the 4/4 comes back in it gives it a big automatic energy lift if u get it right

maybe play some ramones too. everyone loves the ramones ;)

theledge
18-01-2008, 12:04 PM
there's some great breakbeat out there, the good stuff sounds just like really good techno to me, or even better, its just a shame when people get the cheesy stuff out but steer clear of that and i quite agree

278d7e64a374de26f==